Lease a 942 ? Existing Sub

samavedy said:
Existing customers who are getting a 942 lease by emailing ceo, do you all do your own install? Does Dish offer install on this lease price? I am not sure I can rig a dual room, dual tuner install on my own.

samavedy: Yes. and Yes again. E* has a policy that dual tuner units should be professionally installed. I told that super nice lady at E* that I wanted to do my own install (I had already pewired for the 2nd tuner). She covered E*'s policy with me and then set up an installation date well after I would recieve the unit so I could take a crack at installing it myself. After I completed the installation, I called E* to activate the 942 and when all was properly completed, they cancelled the installation. The 942 is one super nice unit - we just love it! :D

da doug

Just got the lease deal myself. DISH comes out on the 16th to do the install. :)

This is great news. I'll probably order one in early August since we hardly watch any TV during the summer...just in time for the NFL season. Mmmmm...NFL in HD. Drool...

What additional fees are associated with the 942 lease? I know there is a $5 DVR fee. Is there a monthly lease fee on top of that as well? If so, how much? And, for those who were existing customers, did they give you any free months of HD programming (non-Voom channels)?

Cost??

120inna55 said:
Thanks for the tip, guys. I emailed the CEO with a buttkissin' (albeit heartfelt) note this morning around 0830. I received a call from Amanda at "executive offices" ~1430. Very nice lady, and I'm not just saying that cause they're letting me (existing customer of 8 yrs) lease a 942. She was really more down-to-Earth and un-scripted than anyone I've ever spoken with at E* or equivalent. I'm very satisfied.

I'm assuming the lease upgrade you are referring to cost $250.00?

Ken

fenwah said:
What additional fees are associated with the 942 lease? I know there is a $5 DVR fee. Is there a monthly lease fee on top of that as well? If so, how much? And, for those who were existing customers, did they give you any free months of HD programming (non-Voom channels)?

There is a monthly lease fee of $5/mo. The DVR fee is waived if you have the America's Everything Pack; otherwise it's $5/mo. too. No freebies on programming, etc.

da Doug

I wrote to them today too. We'll see what happens. I have been with them since 1998. I think it is wrong to not offer leasing to existing customers. Makes it seem like the longer you are with them, the more it will cost you just keeping up with the latest changes. If Dish wants to be competitive with cable, they need to include in that statement the cost of the equipment too. What good is it if my Dish bill is $10 or $20 cheaper than cable but I have to fork out $99+$700 just to get less HDTV than cable is already providing? Seems like a poor business practice, but then again, I am not a business major... Let's hope they call me. Thanks!

You know... I just thought of something... These additional VOOM channels are coming off of the original VOOM satellite, right? If I could not receive VOOM due to geographic location back then, I would bet I still cannot now, right? Nothing changed, just the owners... That is a bummer. I guess that would make my letter to the CEO of Dish moot. Doht!!!

emtownsend said:
You know... I just thought of something... These additional VOOM channels are coming off of the original VOOM satellite, right? If I could not receive VOOM due to geographic location back then, I would bet I still cannot now, right? Nothing changed, just the owners... That is a bummer. I guess that would make my letter to the CEO of Dish moot. Doht!!!

That's right, those of us that can't see the 61.5 bird are currently SOL.

NightRyder

Rumors about a big HD announcement this month by D*, but who knows?. Currently D* has the same number of HD channels in their standard HD Pak as E*. The current D* HD channels are at their easy to see 101 location.

NightRyder

I got a phone call from an "Executive" of Dish last night wanting to talk about my complaint. I told him I was upset about pricing for current customers, etc...
He offered to give me the 942 for $249 which is what I was looking for, however...
He also told me there was an additional $5 for not having a phone, another $5 just for having a new model DVR (my current 508 doesn't have this fee), and of course the $5 for the lease fee of the 942. So, this is an extra $15 a month on top of $249 + tax and shipping I would assume, just for the ability to record their paltry 4 or 5 HD channels of which I usually only watch DiscoveryHD. To me, this wasn't worth it. Now, if I were geographically able to get the other VOOM channels, then I would probably do it. But I cannot.
He did mention "several" more HD channels coming soon but was non-commital to time frame or number of channels or even if they were going to be on the 61.5 bird which I cannot get.
But.... Dish did allow me the same offer as new customers which was a plus for them! I got the impression that they would have installed the extra dish in the $249 price too but I had to tell him "no" for now.
Ah well... I will keep waiting & may pop over to Direc & see what is happening there. I'm in no hurry to drop Dish though...

Emtownsend:

Did you know you were geographically unable to get VOOM before you emailed Dish with your complaint about not being able to get a 942 lease?

And, you obviously knew the 942 was $250 up front. You live where you don't have a phone? The $5 lack-of-phone charge is a known issue as well.

Yet you contacted the executive offices and essentailly wasted their time. You made a negative impact on all current Dish subscribers who have politely and respectfully asked for the opportunity to lease, rather than buy, a 942 HD-DVR. Dish management came through and offered you what you wanted, a 942 lease that you already knew was $250 up front, and then you slapped them in the face by turning them down.

Please do me and other Dish subscribers who appreciate the efforts of senior management to treat existing customer fairly a favor and never contact the Dish executive offices again.

I do appreciate their efforts! And, I only realized I was not geographically fit for the extra HD content when I realized they were most likely using the old VOOM bird. This was not a given.
Also, the exec offices exist for customers, so if I have an issue, then there is no such thing as "wasted time". The only way to get the $249 offer is to complain. What I did not know was that Dish going to charge me for no phone and for the luxury of having a newer DVR. That is "gimme" money to Dish. Why do I need to pay an extra $5 a month just for upgrading my DVR? Why do I need to pay $5 a month for no phone hook up? It is not needed. I have been using Dish just fine for seven years with no land-line and no extra fee. My cell phone is more reasonable than a land line.
My gripes are legit. Also, why do I have to complain to get the lease? Why not just offer it up front and save the customer and the execs frustration from complaints?
Please do me and other Dish subscribers a favor and not post such accusatory statements in public venues...

By the Way, I did politely ask to lease when I called first and the rep told me no. That is why I wrote...

Turned Down For Lease By CEO Office

I first tried to call customer service and was turned down for the lease. I then sent an email to the ceo email on Monday, June 6th. I have received no response by phone or email. My email was very complimentary and polite.

I have an 811 and subscribe to America's Top 120.

Any idea what criteria they use to decide who gets the lease and who does not? Should I try again using a different approach?

Thanks for your assistance.

Emtownsend:

Had you contacted the executive offices simply to complain alone and not asked for something as specific as a 942 lease agreement, you would not have been wasting their time.

You complained with the intent of obtaining an offer to lease a 942 to the highest level of the company, the executive offices, using a contact email that is not widely known, and they came through for you. You then rejected their effort. You, indeed, wasted their time -- which is the only accusation made.

It is unfortunate that you cannot obtain a signal from the 61.5 satellite -- if trees are an issue that can be trimmed, consider trimming them -- the VOOM content is that worthwhile. The VOOM content alone is worth the modest extra fees ($15 total monthly for the missing phone fee and DVR fee and VOOM fee). The current VOOM programming being carried is truely spectacular with 11 more VOOM channels to come in January 2006. Perhaps Dish will reposition the 61.5 satellite (if that's feasible) when they take over full control of the bird later this year so that people who are currently shut out, like yourself, can receive the best HD content in the industry.

HEY EVERYONE i just wanted to let everyone know that Sadoun just got the 942 in, they are going quick! We've had alot of calls about them and i just want everyone to know if your interested in buying one we've got them!

Well David, I'm sorry you feel that way, so, then I apologize. But there was no way I could know what they were going to add on to the admitedly good deal on the 942. Unfortunately, with the confirmation that I cannot get the extra HD content plus the other charges it just didn't add up for me.
I would take those trees out ASAP if I could. I hear good things from those that had VOOM. I'm not sure if Dish will go forward with the satellite that VOOM had planned on launching to cover the Pacific Northwest and other areas better. That would do it for me if they do.

A while back I was talking to the exec office (they screwed up some pogramming) I had the stupid $5 phone fee on my dish because I did not have them both plugged in. They went ahead and sent me a remote phone jack for free. ( I think they charge $50.00 for them) plus they credited my account :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts