Lease Program Information (Cat Fight Version):

Status
Please reply by conversation.
1 for existing subs who are staying with their present eq ,NOTHING will change at least for 1.5-2 years, dont sweat it!

2 for new subs that are getting the basic eq (85%) nothing will change other than after the 1st reciever, you will pay a lease fee instead of a mirror fee. and you wont own the recievers (worth $2.00 on e bay) and they will fix/replace them for free even without the protection plan. you guys make out on this new deal!

I don't see how paying $499 up front is a lease for the HD DVR. I could almost see it, if that was a prepay for several years or something. But paying that much then paying $.99 a month on top of that too??? Sounds like I am paying for the equipment for them. So what happens if I cancel in a few years and they get the DVR back. Then re-lease it again? They get another $499 from someone else and pay for the same piece of equipment twice?

It's keeping me from upgrading to HD. I just can't see the logic in what they are doing.

mkatts said:
I don't see how paying $499 up front is a lease for the HD DVR. I could almost see it, if that was a prepay for several years or something. But paying that much then paying $.99 a month on top of that too??? Sounds like I am paying for the equipment for them. So what happens if I cancel in a few years and they get the DVR back. Then re-lease it again? They get another $499 from someone else and pay for the same piece of equipment twice?

It's keeping me from upgrading to HD. I just can't see the logic in what they are doing.
Yup they make 500 bucks everytime they lease it. If you had their comment about how they think HD customers are "desperate" and will pay 30 dollars to watch an HD movie then I think you'd understand where they are coming from. They feel they have a group of suckers and they want to milk as much money as they can out of them.

vurbano,

you fell hook, line and sinker, CORRECT????????

desperate??? sucker????

do you know what you are saying??

new to the forum but cat fights sound much more fun than what they do on other boards to you :) I had no idea about this wonderful feature

To all talking about switching, see,....the problem I personally have is I love the tivo interface. So i'm 2x screwed with directv. No new tivo and must lease new stuff even if i want it (though until they turn off mpeg2 i'm safe).

However, I'm sure i'd never go to dish because of the tivo interface. I guess in theory dtv has me right where they want me . Loyal but stuck.

OK, someone explain this to me. How does someone like Weaknees sell the upgraded HR10-250 that have much bigger hard drives. I thought with the lease programs no equipment could be modified. What happens when it is sent back or needs repair?

mkatts said:

I agree with what you said. Actually I think there is more truth than what we even think. This is a signal. A martket signal to not upgrade. Maybe they are being overwhelmed or they just want us to shut up about HD until the MPEG 4 (& that new sexy dish) coem out.

scotsmanron said:
OK, someone explain this to me. How does someone like Weaknees sell the upgraded HR10-250 that have much bigger hard drives. I thought with the lease programs no equipment could be modified. What happens when it is sent back or needs repair?
I emailed Weaknees about this and they responded that it is a purchase to own not a lease. Just make sure that D* marks it as "owned" on your account when you activate.

Eric Goempel said:
Should have made the switch to HD last mounth sir.

That would be great if I have $499 to dump on a STB. But I didn't. When I heard the rumor about the lease, I thought that would make Hd more accessibel to more people. We wouldn't have to shell out that huge charge. I was wrong. I also didn't think that d* was going to charge $499 and a monthly charge on top of that. I thought it was going to be a simple monthy fee which would be fine. My only problem is the $499 up front cost. I will never pay it. I will stick with my SD TIVO.

scotsmanron said:

I wish someone would have noted their prices before/after march 1. Since they get no subsidies, the prices should have shot through the roof

Yet nice to know we can buy if we want to pay 489 today for a stock unit and own it. Wonder how fun it will be proving to directv that we own it.

newsposter said:
I wish someone would have noted their prices before/after march 1. Since they get no subsidies, the prices should have shot through the roof

Yet nice to know we can buy if we want to pay 489 today for a stock unit and own it. Wonder how fun it will be proving to directv that we own it.
Weaknees had the same $489 price before 3/1. I suspect before long, new stock is going to cost them a price where they won't be able to sell at that price.

Owning or not owning the equipment is a nonissue unless you bail quickly on D*. I for one could care less. Every piece of D* equipment I have ever owned I am either currently using or it is sitting in my basement collecting dust. The thought process of the equipment having value after more than 2-3 years is ridiculous. Nothing has really changed except D* is probably tired of giving away 4 rooms worth of equipment to tons of people that don't stay with them for various reasons most of which do not reflect poorly on D*. There will be deals. It is this much today and that much tomorrow. Heck, some payed close to $1000 for the HR10-250 that then cost a lot of us pretty much nothing after that Fletchlives post about the sale and rebates. Vurbano, if it makes you feel any better for now on you can have all of my old equipment . Nothing has really changed in the bottom line, except oh darn we don't "own" the equipment.

hiker said:
I emailed Weaknees about this and they responded that it is a purchase to own not a lease. Just make sure that D* marks it as "owned" on your account when you activate.

I sure wish someone would get the facts on that. Everything Ive heard says no more owning only leasing.

I am very upset with DirecTV's move, and will probably either go back to cable or change to Dish. I got this e-mail from DirecTV this morning:

===
Thanks for asking about our lease program. I apologize for any frustration this matter has caused. As you know, customers who are setting up their DIRECTV service for the first time, or current customers who upgrade or add a DIRECTV receiver after March 1, will lease that equipment from DIRECTV instead of buying it.

You continue to own your current DIRECTV equipment and any Additional Receiver Fees you pay to mirror your monthly programming to all your TV's will still apply. The only differences for you are that:

1. You will no longer need to purchase equipment when you add receivers or upgrade your DIRECTV system.
2. You will be charged a monthly lease fee for any receivers you add or upgrade instead of paying an additional receiver fee

And the great news is that leasing will offer you a substantial savings compared to the true cost of buying the equipment

Equipment costs, particularly for advanced products such as HD and/or DVR receivers, can be sizable and we believe leasing provides our customers a better, more affordable, alternative. The upgrade cost for standard receivers is $49, $99 for DVRs and HD receivers, and $499 for the HD DVR.

If you decide you want to own your DIRECTV System instead of leasing directly from us, select retailers may offer this option. Your best bet is to check with individual retailers. To find one nearest you, please visit our web site at DIRECTV.com/retailers and enter your zip code in the lookup field. Please note that not all of these retailers may offer a purchase option.

Please check our web site DIRECTV.com for complete details about this exciting new program.

Thanks again for writing.

1. You will no longer need to purchase equipment when you add receivers or upgrade your DIRECTV system.
What the hell are you purchasing for $499 if there is "no longer need to purchase equipment"?

2. You will be charged a monthly lease fee for any receivers you add or upgrade instead of paying an additional receiver fee
Six of one, half-dozen of the other...different but the same...do these people actually read the things they write.

keenan said:
What the hell are you purchasing for $499 if there is "no longer need to purchase equipment"?

1. The right to have their box in your home and pay them a monthly fee for it.

2. The right to have the letters "SUCKER" tatooed on your forehead.

$499 for the HD DVR.

These are my Favorite 2 lines.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)