leased receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

darobster1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007
Covington, TN
Do I need to get a leased receiver from DTV or can I buy one from e-bay? Are the ones on e-bay legal? They are new in box and the seller says that they can be activated, so does it matter? Where do they get them and does DTV care where it comes from as long as I'm paying my monthly bill? Thanks.

UPDATE: The NIB receivers are from a retailer or an HSP, so they are not stolen and are legal...right?

Last edited:
Buying from eBay is going to be hit and miss. You may get a good deal, but you may not. It may be a leased receiver that the seller has no right in selling, it may have an account balance on it which D* will want paid in full before activation, or D* may just refuse to activate it.

Depending upon the model, you may be purchasing an owned or leased receiver. Buying off eBay does not guarantee that you won't get stuck with a lease agreement.

EDIT: I just reread your post and saw where you stated that they are NIB. In that case, they are leased receivers and you will still be stuck with a one or two year programming commitment. D*, for the most part, doesn't care where you get the receivers from provided they are not stolen and do not have a balance owed on them.

If you have been a customer for at least a year call D* your best deal will probably be through them. Receiver plus free installation in most cases.

What if I bought NEW sealed box with receiver from ebay? I am assuming its considered a "leased" receiver once activated?

Thanks

What if I bought NEW sealed box with receiver from ebay? I am assuming its considered a "leased" receiver once activated?

Thanks

Yes, unless you are paying nearly $800 for it.

I found out that the seller has the boxes on consignment (retailer, HSP, or something) and has a limited time to get them activated or pay for them out of his(or her) pocket. So, as long as they are activated on an account they are legal...right?

I found out that the seller has the boxes on consignment (retailer, HSP, or something) and has a limited time to get them activated or pay for them out of his(or her) pocket. So, as long as they are activated on an account they are legal...right?
You are dealing with a HUCKSTER any legitimate dealer has 90 days from purchase to sell them, the customer then has 30 days to activate them. Remember a fool and his money are soon parted, don't be a fool.:):):)

Let's say for discussion sake that the Internet sales (i.e., eBay) are legal, NIB equipment. What advantage do you get by buying one? Unless I'm mistaken D* is going to charge you the "lease" fee or "additional receiver" fee whether you own the equipment or not. Of course, I guess if you can't work a deal with D* you might be able to "buy" one from a licensed reseller for less but it's not all that hard to get a deal from D*. So...I'm wondering why bother?

this is from a weeknees.com FAQ that explains some of the pluses and minuses of owning your dvr:

Can I purchase / own the HR20 DIRECTV Plus HD DVR, or will any order from weaKnees be considered a lease?
Background: On March 1, 2006, DIRECTV instituted a program under which receivers are leased by default. This change had no impact on customers' bills, and in fact there were many advantages for customers: DIRECTV will provide a dish and installation for customers with new leased receivers. They will also provide support, after the warranty period, at reduced prices vs. the cost of acquiring a new unit. On the other hand, leased receivers cannot be re-sold and DIRECTV will replace them with refurbished units if they require service.

If you order an upgraded HR20 from weaKnees, you may be able to have DIRECTV characterize the unit as being owned. To do that, you must call 800-DIRECTV and ask for the access card department. Tell them that you ordered an HR20, give them the price and tell them that you want it to be characterized as being owned. In some cases, the price alone will be enough to have DIRECTV characterize the unit as purchased. IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have a unit characterized as owned, you will NOT be able to get the unit (or a dish) installed for free or at a discounted price. In addition, you will NOT be entitled to any discounted replacement equipment should the unit fail. See below for additional information.

Moving to northern view?

I have a couple or receivers that I am assuming are considered "leased". I have only had them about 6 months but I am moving into another apartment building which faces NORTH. :mad: Very unfortunate and I will really really miss Directv and what they have to offer and in the future.

Question:

Will I get nicked for penalties on these even though I can't get a southern view?

I will ask the building if I can mount it on the top floor but my guess is NO.

Thank u

I have a couple or receivers that I am assuming are considered "leased". I have only had them about 6 months but I am moving into another apartment building which faces NORTH. :mad: Very unfortunate and I will really really miss Directv and what they have to offer and in the future.

Question:

Will I get nicked for penalties on these even though I can't get a southern view?

I will ask the building if I can mount it on the top floor but my guess is NO.

Thank u
What a stupid question you signed a contract for a minimum of 1YR didn't you?

What a stupid question you signed a contract for a minimum of 1YR didn't you?

Why a stupid question? Other satellite companies I believe would waive this due to the face I cannot get a signal. !sadroll And I believe the receivers are LEASED for two years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts