Leases have started, experiences?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If I had to guess I would say the costs would START at around $2,499. But what people need to understand is this thing is going to do a lot more then just be a whole house DirecTV receiver.

2499 yikes! It better burn dvds and edit the commercials automatically for that price. As well as have a built in LCD monitor :)

LonghornXP said:
Well it seems the state of Florida is looking into the terms of this lease plan which means they are getting enough complaints to warrant looking into it. I've given up looking into DirecTV stuff as I don't have enough time on my hands so I haven't kept up on this lease stuff but just passing on the few tidbits I find out.

It helps to have the Attorney General running for governor and a lot of retirees that are D* customers. This is causing a FIRESTORM here.

> Dear MSP Team,
>
> We have been further advised today in regards to when to use the new lease
agreement. Here is what we are being told:
>
> Work orders built prior to 3/1/06:
> Any work order that was built prior to 3/1/06 (creation date of 2/28/06
and before) those customer are being grandfathered into the old agreement of
the purchase of equipment and granted the old cost for packages for a 6
month period from activation as long as they are being activated on or
before 3/31/06.
>
> Work orders built on 3/1/06 and after:
> Any order built on 3/1/06 and after, will be subject to the new price
structure and lease agreement.
>

But I understand that you can still purchase equipment at higher prices than the lease plan up-front cost, so how will D* distinguish between lease and purchase going forward? And if purchase is still possible, if you know, what retailers are selling equipment or is it purchase from D* only? CC and WM are said to be lease only. Weaknees and VE selling or leasing?

Last edited:
HIKER, here are my experiences so far.Weaknees sent this to me when I asked about buying the R10 for $189 new with free shiping and no rebates.
If you want to lease, you can, and that would require special
paperwork.
Otherwise, it would be a purchase and when you call DIRECTV to
activate,
you would tell them that you purchased it.

Thank you,
weaKnees
I am holding off until I am positive that I am not being locked into a lease.Called D* several times and got different stories each time. Some places I have tried don't seem to want to tell you you that when you think you are buying you are still actually going into a lease.So I would be very carefull and having written proof because we all know pretty well how D* says one thing and then later something else shows up on our account.

$500 just to lease the HD-Tivo. No way.. I don't even like the idea of spending that much to own it. Looks like cable is in my future..

The whole idea of leasing is that I do not own it. Then charge me a rental fee, I would pay 10-20 to rent a high-end box.. Even at 20 it would take 25 months to break even. By then I would want the next generation box..

Just read the entire thread and my head is spinning.....sure seems like D* isn't making an upgrade to HD very appetizing for me.

pounce said:
I was told by the retention rep that it is possible to still buy and own equipment under the new lease policy. Instead of getting a subsidized price you pay the cost to DTV for the box. In my case I was looking at H20's and they were going to cost $250 today, but I would own them. Being that I own two DTC-100's and was told last month I could get upgraded for free with a dish I'm not so happy about looking at $500 + the Dish just to ensure I can still get HDTV in the future and still own my own equipment (and be sure it's new when I get it).

I predict a major falling out for Directv.

Wow this is interesting, they lost a customer before they actually got one.
I was looking into them until I found this forum, Forget it, Looks like cable is staying put in my home, Sunday ticket or not.

This lease thing is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. It's not only confusing everyone but makes no sense. If it's a true lease plan, why don't they offer any equipment (HD, Tivo, HDTIVO, etc) for free at let the customer lease them for free? If the customer does not turn them back in then they have to pay the full price. When I had cable I could choose any box I wanted for free. I think it would really drive up DTV subs if you could have what ever you wanted.

Good luck on the home media server DTV. Half the jabroni's that I have delt with can't even install a dish at my house when I had a complete structured wire\runs to every outlet. They said F this and left so I did it myself.

scotsmanron said:
I predict a complete overhaul of this program in six months.

I would have to agree with this, I called the other day about something different and ask them how it was going with the lease program and was told it was not going well, a lot of people are very upset about it and the women I talked to said the person before me spent 10 minutes chewing her out and dropped D as there provider.

hiker said:
But for the first IRD, there is no lease fee, so if you had only one it would be $0.
You say that like most people only have one box, try 5 here so i would be at a $1250 roughly, either way it shakes out the same lease fee or mirror fee most of us have more than one box.

scotsmanron said:
It helps to have the Attorney General running for governor and a lot of retirees that are D* customers. This is causing a FIRESTORM here.

I live in Jax (Go Jaguars!), and I haven't seen anything in the local paper or on the news regarding the lease vs own. Is this something that's heating up in your local area? (I WOULD LOVE to see it spread statewide!)

scotsmanron said:
I predict a complete overhaul of this program in six months.
Yup and another price incease for programming when they have to drop the equipment cancellation fee.

spectrumsp said:
I live in Jax (Go Jaguars!), and I haven't seen anything in the local paper or on the news regarding the lease vs own. Is this something that's heating up in your local area? (I WOULD LOVE to see it spread statewide!)

First I can only say what I know. This hasn't reached the papers yet if it will ever and I only know this is going to the state level because I know a few people at the state level like ummm Jeb Bush among others.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts