LED bulbs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The only hurdle with LEDs is the cost. But in time the cost will come down. CFLs are much cheaper and use about the same energy as LEDs.
And I agree with Navychop, the 2700k is much more pleasing than the 5000k cool (stark) white.

The LEDs sold here are advertised to work with regular dimmers, good to know that they don't.

They work well enough if you're a lawyer on the case, kinda sorta NOT if you're a user.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: Peter Parker
I ran across this company but if I post the link, I'm afraid it may send the link to The Pit. :)
http://bigasslight.com

The videos are impressive, but I can't imagine what a 26,000 lumen fixture would be like. Or cost.

The only hurdle with LEDs is the cost. But in time the cost will come down. CFLs are much cheaper and use about the same energy as LEDs.
And I agree with Navychop, the 2700k is much more pleasing than the 5000k cool (stark) white.

The LEDs sold here are advertised to work with regular dimmers, good to know that they don't.

The Cree bulb sold at HD is $4 for a 60 watt equivalent, no mercury. It is dimmable.

I don't know which is your local store, but at the West Lansing store they are $4.97 each.

I'm 83~ miles north of there.

60W Equivalent Soft White (2700K) A19 Dimmable LED Light Bulb QUICK VIEW

$6.97 Was $12.97
Save $6.00 (46%)
Cree 60W Equivalent Soft White (2700K) A19 Dimmable LED Light Bulb

Model # BA19-08027OMF-12DE26-2U100

(450)

• In Store Only
• Pick Up In Store TODAYFree

What if you bought them online? Would you get the lower price then?

What if you bought them online? Would you get the lower price then?

Nope, as it says "only available in stores" for that particular bulb. I could place the order online, but I would then have to drive 10 miles to the store to pick them up.

They are a good bulb, and worth the $6.97. I just wish they sold up here for $4.97, as that's even better. They think everybody up here makes big bucks (not true, but it is a higher income area), so prices tend to be higher.

I'm running 13 of the PAR16/E26 9w 2700k LEDs ( eBay from China ) in my track lighting on an older Lutron dimmer. I chose PAR16/E26 because they fit perfectly inside a universal can from Lightolier. Looks really clean without the expense/limitation of GU10. They have a very short dimming range compared to the Halogen 60w I ran in them before, but it is OK until I decide to spend $200 on the comparable RF-controlled Lutron LED dimmer. My OTA reception hasn't changed that much and variations have more to do with weather than the lamps themselves.

I actually tried a few different types of lamps before settling on the 9w 2700k. I tried both 9w and 12w >4200k " White Light, Pure White Light. " Still really want to have a narrower beam but 60° seems to be the norm for LEDs. My cans are 24" apart and tailored for 36° Halogen. I suppose I could take down a few cans but like the amount of light 13x 9w LED delivers when cleaning the room, etc.

Some states force power companies to give instant rebates on LED bulbs, so the price is lower in stores in their areas.

Nope, as it says "only available in stores" for that particular bulb. I could place the order online, but I would then have to drive 10 miles to the store to pick them up.

They are a good bulb, and worth the $6.97. I just wish they sold up here for $4.97, as that's even better. They think everybody up here makes big bucks (not true, but it is a higher income area), so prices tend to be higher.

Well that sucks. I actually got them for $3.97, they have gone up a buck since then.

I'm resurrecting this idle thread to update some new LED bulb choices.

Philips came out with a 40 and 60 W A19-shaped bulb that is "flat" but still produces 360 degrees of light. I got three 60 W bulbs from Kroger's (of all places) for under $10 each. The are also remarkable for weighing about a third of the similar LED bulbs and having no exposed heatsink. They run cooler than other LEDs I've tried, too, and switch on immediately.
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1406783837.962992.jpg

The other find is a fluorescent shop-light replacement that produces 3,200 lumens using 40 W of power. I found this unit at Lowe's for $70 which I thought was reasonable considering a similar 2-bulb fluorescent fixture was $35 and did not include bulbs.
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1406784517.359978.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1406784560.080282.jpg

(the old dying fixture is on the left, the LED unit is on the right)

My only negatives with this unit are installation (it took way longer than it should, you need two people to get it hooked up, and you use four screwed that are deep in a narrow opening to hold the fixture to the ceiling) and a noticeable startup delay when you turn it on (there are two panels that operate in parallel and don't light up at the same time.) But it looks very nice in operation and produces a good amount of light.

I have one more unit to install before I get two more to replace the fluorescents. I had problems last winter (remember how cold it was?) with the fluorescent bulbs flickering and taking a long time to come up to a usable brightness.

Thank you, esp for the shop light. I'll have to look for it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

I put up the second fixture and boy does that make a difference! Unfortunately the Lowe's by me is out of stock on these now. I wanted to put two more in...

BTW, I'm pulling this thread out of the cobwebs to to let folks know that Luxeon has upped the efficiency of their Lumileds LEDs to over 150 Lumens per Watt. They have 33-LEDs modules that put out 1,400-1,500 Lumens while using 10 W per module.

While this isn't a packaged luminaire, it does point to even shorter ROI for the future.

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/602/DS145-542352.pdf

BTW, you can now buy LED "fluorescent" tubes as direct replacements for T12 and T8 tubes. No bypassing the ballast.

They look like T8s, but the pin spacing on T8s and T12s is the same so you can put them in either.

Bought a couple at a big box HW store.

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)