LED vs Plasma

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Folks...any feedback is appreciated.

Between a 1080p LED 120mhz or Plasma 1080p 600mhz...which one would you grab?

Screen will be set up in the basement, minimal natural light. I read Plasmas have richer colors, including darker blacks but might run a bit hotter.
Screen will be attached to PS3, Xbox, FTA and OTA; is screen burn still an issue ?

Cheers, K

Well, nothing to date beats my properly calibrated CRT-RPTV. However, since they stopped making 'em, our next sets were 3LCD, DLP, LCD and two LED. I've never been a big fan of Plasma (expense, burn-in and heat/electricity issues) but those issues have largely been resolved and they make the best, most realistic, picture quality on the market these days. Since I have a PS3 and Sony, I won't need a Smart TV so I'm going with a 60+ inch dumb Plasma since the set will be a walk-out basement (windows, but not direct sunlight). I'll keep a 60" LED in the family room (basically a sun room) since it's so bright during the day.

Unless you're willing to wait 2-3 years for OLED to become affordable, I would go with a Plasma since they offer the most bang for the buck...especially if it will be down in the man cave.

Go with Plasma, the newer sets don't have the bad screen burn problem.

Under the conditions you mention, and if the extra weight, heat and the fact plasmas will likely only be sold for a couple more years don't bother you (minor issues, IMHO), go with the plasma.

And going by an AVS thread, it seems it'll be more than 3 years before we see reasonably priced OLEDs. And that's assuming OLETs don't surpass them.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Are Plasma TVs Going Out of Business?

As for the Plasma going away, Panasonic is not the only manufacturer in the category, although it is the leader. But you can find Plasmas from Samsung and LG and a few others. And so long as sales don't get worse, they will probably continue making them for the foreseeable future. And Panasonic itself hasn't made any final decisions.

Bottom line: The Plasma TV isn't going anywhere anytime soon. And even if it were, it wouldn't affect your purchase of a Plasma TV today. Purchased from a top brand like Panasonic, LG or Samsung, the Plasma TV would give you an outstanding picture for years to come, regardless of what happens to the business as a whole.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/answer53031913.htm

Remember though K, like Navy and Mad posted, they are heavier which most cases is not a problem. However, they do put out more heat and suck more power.

I love my sets though. I have an older 50" and it does like to show screen burn especially if the kids leave a game on pause for awhile. My new one is a 60" LG and it is a bit better all around then the other one and I have noted very light screen burn and that was my fault. I could a see faint "no signal" logo after I left the FTA box on and was redoing some cabling.

I recently bought my first plasma and all I can say is "WOW!!!" I'm quite impressed with it. I bought a Panasonic TC-P42S60 for my bedroom. I wanted a 50", but my better half said no to getting rid of the armoire.

My only source is an HTPC and most of my content is 1080p. The picture quality is amazing. I don't notice a lot of heat coming off of it. I am also very pleased with the sound. Flat panel sound quality is usually quite lacking. In my bedroom, its not hooked up to a receiver, so having decent built-in sound is definitely a plus.

Based on this experience, I plan on buying a Panasonic 60" or 65" sometime in the future for my living room.

There is a difference between the 120 refresh rate used on LED/LCD and the 600 mhz sub field used in plasmas. Plasmas have a much faster response time than LED/LCD. In plasmas, most display regular content is displayed at 60hz. Some offer 48 and 96 hz refresh rate. This means the sub field flashes 10 times in that 60 hz to get 600.

Plasma IR and Burn-in are still a problem with plasmas. It can be accomplished. I've done it. Samsung tends to have better IR than the Panasonics. Best to look at all conditions before deciding. What is your lighting? Plasmas tend to be better in controlled environments.

S~

Screen burn in is still an issue with plasma. It is not like it used to be, but if you play the same game for hours and it has a fixed part of the screen you will be able to see it for a while. As long as you vary your content the burn in will not be an issue. If you play the same video game for hours every day and watch a bit of TV every now and then, plasma is not for you.

Screen burn in is still an issue with plasma. It is not like it used to be, but if you play the same game for hours and it has a fixed part of the screen you will be able to see it for a while. As long as you vary your content the burn in will not be an issue. If you play the same video game for hours every day and watch a bit of TV every now and then, plasma is not for you.

What you are describing is really Image Retention moreso than Burn in. Image retention will go away after a while, whereas burn in (true burn in of old) was pretty much permanent.

Decision time: Its down to 55" 1080p 120hz 3D Smart Samsung LED or 60" 1080p 600hz 3D Smart Samsung Plasma.
Same price for either units.

Cheers, K

Decision time: Its down to 55" 1080p 120hz 3D Smart Samsung LED or 60" 1080p 600hz 3D Smart Samsung Plasma.
Same price for either units.

Cheers, K

20% larger screen, better PQ, better viewing angles, and it's going to be in a non-reflective environment so glare won't be an issue.

What decision? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts