LED vs Plasma

Off subject a bit, last year I bought a 60"LG plasma in lieu of a Panasonic, because my "entertainment" center is a converted double bi-fold door closet. Fixed dimensions. At the time Panny's bezel/width was 1/2" more than would fit. I have one 42"Samsung, and a 42"Panasonic. In my opinion, they are all about the same quality. IF I I had to choose only one, I would keep the LG. Truest and most easily "tuned in" color and blacks. Second, Samsung. Panasonic third...just could never match the other two for my eye.

Last edited:
Kraven, now that the new models are out, the ST60 from Panasonic is the best bang for the buck set, as noted by Cnet and a few calibrators. Both the ST30 and ST50 have been popular picks as well, generally the same panel as more epensive models, great blacks, and accuracy after calibration. The ST60 got more of the premium line controls this year, and if I was looking, itd be high on the list.

I've owned 5 Panasonics since 2005, and they had a rough couple of years, but really seem to have hit their stride with the 50 and 60 series. The two best plasmas right now are the VT60 and F8500 from Samsung, but they are pricey.

My dad bought a decent LG last year at my recommendation because of his budget. I calibrated it with a meter, and it turned out to be quite accurate, but the blacks leave something to be desired. While not everything, contrast ratio is important and the MLL is very important if doing any dark room viewing. Out of the Panasonic, Samsung and LG, LG has the worst blacks. One of the things you buy a plasma for is the black level, so unless your budget requires, Id recommend the ST60 personally.

Last edited:
Follow-up: I adopted a LED 55" Sony Bravia 1080p 3D 240hz Smart. Mounted it, scanned OTA and tuned into Golf on CBS without any fine tuning... "holy s***" were my first words.

3D really blows on it but I dont plan on using the feature anyway.

Purchased it at Costco because of their 2 years in-home service/waranty.

Cheers, K

Looking a possible replacements for our 6 year old 57" DLP I've come across two Samsung tvs; a 51" plasma that does 3D and a 50" LED that doesn't advertise 3D. Both are $699.

Not sure which one to get though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LED is nice, but I still really prefer Plasma. I looked at several this weekend to replace the living room tv that quit, but I have a hard time controlling light in the living room and I kept seeing reflections from the windows in the Plasma I am temporarily using. I think I'm going to go LED in there and move the Plasma back to the bedroom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts