Legacy Dish 6 Receiver Multiswitch

JHark

Original poster
Feb 21, 2004
I have a legacy Dish Network system (not DishPro) and want to feed 6 receivers. Is there a multiswitch that can do that? (If so, any suggestions for a supplier?)

Before you go saying I should switch to DishPro and cascade DP34's, let me add that I'm in the Virgin Islands, and have to use six- and four-foot dishes to get 119 and 110. The LNB's are mounted on a "tripod like system" with a "collar" around the "neck" of the non-standard LNB. So my next question, can I get DishPro LNB's that can be mounted on big dishes? (I like the whole idea of DP, and would love switch to it.)

Many thanks!

JHark

You can cascade a couple of SW44's. That would give you 8 outputs...but a different method (and people might think I'm crazy)

I'm assuming you have 2 dual LNB's on the 2 dishes. Get a couple of direcTv multiswitches (2x6, 2x8, 3x6, 3x8, etc) and a few SW21's Put a multisiwtch on each of the dual LNB and that would give you as many outputs as the switch can handle per satellite. Use the SW21 to combine them together and run into the house. People are practically giving away SW21's and a multiswitch are pretty cheap, so it might be a little more crazy, but it might save you some money :)

Are the "non-standard" LNB's simply the standard ones that have had the plastic removed? Those have "necks" that would probably fit in some sort of "collar". If so, you could just yank the plastic off a couple of DP singles and use a DP34 to combine them.

What Iceberg described should work too.

You mean what Iceberg described. ;)

And I like his idea! A lot simpler than cascading SWx4 switches.

And it'd be nice to know if you CAN put a DP Single/Dual on a big dish.

My eyes have been playing tricks on me today. Too much time in front of a stupid computer monitor.

And I agree completely, it's a much cheaper solution as long as only 2 satellite locations are involved.

I have been using the above setup for several years. If you have a dual lnb for 119 and a dual lnb for 110 use two 3X6 or 3X8 multiswitches. First connect both 110 lines to one multiswitch, and the two 119 lines to the second multiswitch. Now for each output use a SW-21 switch and connect a cable from the 110 multiswitch and a cable from the 119 multiswitch. Then output this to the receiver. (6 receivers=6 SW-21)

On a friend's 3 ft dish, we put a DP dual onto it. The way we managed to get it in the collar was by removing the plastic covering. Then when we saw the neck wasn't quite thick enough for the collar, we just wrapped duct tape around the collar until it was thick enough.

Derwin0 said:
On a friend's 3 ft dish, we put a DP dual onto it. The way we managed to get it in the collar was by removing the plastic covering. Then when we saw the neck wasn't quite thick enough for the collar, we just wrapped duct tape around the collar until it was thick enough.
Now with thje protective cover removed wait for it to fill with water or better yet wasps looking for a nesting place. :)

I did this for over a year with my ExpressVu system..gutted the top of a Legacy dual and put it on a 30" dish. I put duct tape around it so no water in it and no wasps nests :)

boba said:
Now with thje protective cover removed wait for it to fill with water or better yet wasps looking for a nesting place. :)
We also duct taped the rest of it to protect it from the elements.