Legality of this...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sparty10

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
I'm a college student who will be going home over chrismas break. I want to take my Directv receiver home (for the big10 network) and hook it up to my parents old satelite dish. Is there anything in the contract that says I cannot do this, I'm using the service I pay for and i'm not using it at the other location at the same time.:confused:

Legally you are good to go. Are you getting HD or anything like that? Thats the only problem i can see you might have(if there is a different dish)

Legally you are good to go. Are you getting HD or anything like that? Thats the only problem i can see you might have(if there is a different dish)

Nope no HD, just standard that will be used for about a month while i'm at home in December. I hooked it up and everythign worked fine (the dish is probably 10 years old back when it was called DSS but still got all the channels). I just unhooked it until I figured out if/how they can track it, can they track it??? And wanted to make sure it was a legal thing to do.:up

Nope no HD, just standard that will be used for about a month while i'm at home in December. I hooked it up and everythign worked fine (the dish is probably 10 years old back when it was called DSS but still got all the channels). I just unhooked it until I figured out if/how they can track it, can they track it??? And wanted to make sure it was a legal thing to do.:up

Just don't plug a phone line into it and don't use the remote to order any PPV's and you should be fine.

Jimbo

DirecTV cannot tell geographically where a particular IRD/STB is physically located. So if you move it to another address there is no way to tell unless you call them and let them know. However if you bring the IRD/STB outside your market, you may lose the locals based on the physical address you reported to DirecTV. DirecTV bases you locals on the physical address/installation address on your account. You don't get locals based on where the IRD/STB is geographically/physically located, but based on what you report to DirecTV.

For example, lets say you are planning a move from Michigan to Florida, and you call DirecTV a week early to report the new address. If the CSR changes the physical address to Florida while you are on the phone, you will instantly get the Florida locals in Michigan. The DirecTV movers connection will install a new dish at the new address and once you arrive in Florida, you should just need to connect the IRD/STB's yourself or on the appointment date have DirecTV movers connection tech do it.

A phone line is not required to be attached to an IRD/STB as some report, and yes you can still order PPV via internet (for all IRD/STB's on your account to get the PPV) or by remote to just that one IRD/STB. I don't use a phone line, I use cellular for home service. My service works fine without the phone line, and I have 2 HR20-700S units, and yes I can order PPV through the remote without the phone line.

For example, lets say you are planning a move from Michigan to Florida, and you call DirecTV a week early to report the new address. If the CSR changes the physical address to Florida while you are on the phone, you will instantly get the Florida locals in Michigan.

No you won't, I think jtn forgot about the spot beam...

No you won't, I think jtn forgot about the spot beam...

Actually I did live in Michigan, and did move to Florida for my employer (eventually moving back to Massachusetts when company closed due to buy out), and yes it did work for me, so why not for others would stump me. Now with the newer MPEG4 satellites and locals going to Ka band it may not work today. But if your locals are not HD and still MPEG2 on 101,110,119 it should be fine. I didn't go to HD until I returned to Massachusetts, so I cannot say for sure if MPEG4/Ka would still work in this senario. But national and local channels will on CONUS (Continental United States) satellites.

Last edited:
Spotbeams are seen by the AT 9 & AU 9 5LNB dishes. Sparty has an old round dish looking at 101 only.

Sparty, don't tie the dog to the dish or pole. It confuses the satellite and if the dog eats the cable no more sat pics.

Joe

Spotbeams are seen by the AT 9 & AU 9 5LNB dishes. Sparty has an old round dish looking at 101 only.

Sparty, don't tie the dog to the dish or pole. It confuses the satellite and if the dog eats the cable no more sat pics.

Joe

Joe, could you explain further. I was feeling good about things before this!

Your old dish is probably an 18" round dish.I guessed......And your receiver will work fine on it. However, the most recent addition to the DTV "fleet" of orbital platforms (satellites) sends signals your old dish (ODU) will not pick up. The satellite at 101 west longitude will serve your receiver for almost all channels. There will be no HD and if the locals in your area are on 101 they will be there..If the are on the KA/KU system they won't be there. You will need an over the air (OTA) antenna for that.

Didn't mean to worry you. All the above advice is accurate.

Don't let the dog eat the cable.................Are you going to fly with a black box in your baggage?
Have a good trip.

Joe

Bob,
That kind of knowledge is unobtainable here. I understood that the footprint for 101 was about North America. Within the footprint, signal from each transponder would contain several channels and the locals for various areas were manipulated with the transponders.

I got the impression the 99 & the 103 were to be the Ka / Ku spot beam system. I was also told that the 99 had not been launched yet. Nonetheless, a recent installation showed active transponders on the 99 and active transponders on 103a with nothing on 103b. All the expected channels were there and the cx liked the pq in his new home theatre.

So Bob, I will sign a loyalty oath if you could steer me to the latest info on the birds.

Sparty10.............remember this and be kind when you get your degree and become out boss.

Joe

most of the SD locals are on 101 spotbeams. I know Minneapolis is because my neighbor still has his single LNB setup :)

The HD locals are on 99/103

I think the OP wanted it for Big 10 network and not locals

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Iceberg, is there more that one DTV satellite at the 101 position? Also is the spotbeam thing a technique or actual hardware DTV launched into the 101 and other positions?

I gotta find a text on this stuff. I could be reading while driving between installations.

Joe

nope. Just one satellite at 101. A few transponders are spotbeams (DIsh does the same on 110 & 119...on 119 TP 1,3,5,7,9 are spotbeams)

Satellites can be CONUS (US) or spotbeam and its in the actual satellite. DirecTV & DIsh can turn them on or off.

There are a couple C-Band satellites that are set up that same way

charper1,

Thanks..........while tuning I sometimes count the birds between DTV sats. I may have landed in a company that will put a Bird Dog or Acutrac III in each truck. Knowing what is active helps.

Joe

Iceberg,
Thanks.............."It is time the Rebel Alliance learns the true power of this station."

And the spot beam capability can be focused from the whole continent to a metro area? The 99 & 103 will add to this?

Thanks,

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts