Length of Cable to HD Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glkaiser

Aug 10, 2009
Seattle
Hey all - I'm looking for some advice on getting a DirectTV HD dish installed. I've had it with my cable company (Broadstripe in Seattle) and am once again looking at a dish.

I set up an appointment for installation about a year ago. I live in a ground floor condo, and we have to put dishes up on the roof. It would probably be a length of about 50 to 75 feet from a dish (on a tripod) to my receiver/TV.

When the technician got there and saw the layout, he told me that HD dishes have to be powered/plugged in and the cord shouldn't be longer than about 40 feet in order for the receiver to function correctly. He said that a non-powered/non-HD receiver would be just fine at that length, but not HD. I decided to stick with cable at that point since I wanted the HD to work...

At this point, I wanted to ask others for their opinions and see if there is any way around the length issue? Better quality cables, etc...?

He lied. Most likely he didn't want to get out his ladder, climb up on the roof, and run multiple coax lines down the side of a 2 story building into your condo. Most contractors don't get paid enough for an install to do an extra 2 hours of work like that.

My advice is to set up another appointment and hope you get a tech that will go the extra mile. Tip him very well.

He lied. Most likely he didn't want to get out his ladder, climb up on the roof, and run multiple coax lines down the side of a 2 story building into your condo. Most contractors don't get paid enough for an install to do an extra 2 hours of work like that.

My advice is to set up another appointment and hope you get a tech that will go the extra mile. Tip him very well.

Wow - thanks for the info...that is incredibly sad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts