Lets get a list of Receivers where Dolby Digital does not work.

I've never had a problem with the digital audio on my Yamaha RX-V800. I did see something different today. When I turned on the Yamaha receiver before the 811 was on, the panel said PCM 88kHZ. Never saw that before.

SRW1000 said:
Can anyone verify f the DD problem has been fixed with the newest software release (269)?

Thanks,

Scott

No change here, no output on PCM/DD setting on digital channels.

Bhawey

SRW1000 said:
Can anyone verify f the DD problem has been fixed with the newest software release (269)?

Thanks,

Scott

Sorry I just remembered this thread, but posted another question on the same topic, specifically to 269. No change for me, still does not work - I get a series of "pops" of audio every 1-3 seconds when I have DD enabled.

I tried calling in to the Tech Chat tonight to get a definitive answer on this question, but got stuck talking to "advanced tech support." After being stuck on and off hold for 35 minutes, the guy confirmed that the 811 does put out a 96kHz signal. There's no given reason for this, which makes no sense - see my post on the previous page.

Anyway, he did offer a couple of solutions:

1) Use the RCA outputs. Yes, he really did suggest this. I explained to him that you can only get Dolby digital through an optical or coax connection. I don't know if he understood this, but then came. . .

2) Set the 811's output to PCM. Oh boy, do they even try to train these tech support people? Again, I told him that I'm interested in Dolby digital not pro logic.

3) Go to Radio Shack and buy a converter to change the optical output from 96kHz to 44kHz. This isn't an option for me. I'm very close to dumping my 811 on eBay, and this just pushes me a step closer.

I asked why they chose 96kHz, and he guessed it was for future enhancements. This doesn't make any sense to me, and I don't know why they wouldn't have made it backwards compatible to earlier receivers (via a menu option, if nothing else).

I really have lost a lot of faith in the Echostar design team over this whole 811 fiasco.

Scott

As I understand it, It's not that the 811 is putting out the 96k sampling rate. Dish DD broadcast are in the normal 48k sampling rate. The problem lies in the header that is broadcast by the 811, and they have no plans to ever use a 96k sampling rate (hdtv standards require half that and bandwidth is precious).

This was the answer given to me from the ceo@echostar email trick. I find this answer to be more plausable then the others. Especially when I asked if I should buy a new A/V receiver or a 921 to fix the problem, and he promptly said that it wouldn't be necessary a future software or hardware solution is in the works.

OdiOdin said:
As I understand it, It's not that the 811 is putting out the 96k sampling rate. Dish DD broadcast are in the normal 48k sampling rate. The problem lies in the header that is broadcast by the 811, and they have no plans to ever use a 96k sampling rate (hdtv standards require half that and bandwidth is precious).

This was the answer given to me from the ceo@echostar email trick. I find this answer to be more plausable then the others. Especially when I asked if I should buy a new A/V receiver or a 921 to fix the problem, and he promptly said that it wouldn't be necessary a future software or hardware solution is in the works.

OdiOdin, that does make sense, although it's something that should have been corrected by now, especially if it's just a broadcast header problem.

I wouldn't think that they would design the 811 to output a 96kHz signal, especially since it's not part of the Dolby Digital specification. (96kHz is used by DVD-Audio, which is not the same as Dolby Digital.)

Scott

My JVC-6008V works great, both optical and copper from a 5000 w/adapter. I've used each output for a few years with no problems at all.

SRW1000 said:
I tried calling in to the Tech Chat tonight to get a definitive answer on this question, but got stuck talking to "advanced tech support." After being stuck on and off hold for 35 minutes, the guy confirmed that the 811 does put out a 96kHz signal. There's no given reason for this, which makes no sense - see my post on the previous page.

Anyway, he did offer a couple of solutions:

1) Use the RCA outputs. Yes, he really did suggest this. I explained to him that you can only get Dolby digital through an optical or coax connection. I don't know if he understood this, but then came. . .

2) Set the 811's output to PCM. Oh boy, do they even try to train these tech support people? Again, I told him that I'm interested in Dolby digital not pro logic.

3) Go to Radio Shack and buy a converter to change the optical output from 96kHz to 44kHz. This isn't an option for me. I'm very close to dumping my 811 on eBay, and this just pushes me a step closer.

I asked why they chose 96kHz, and he guessed it was for future enhancements. This doesn't make any sense to me, and I don't know why they wouldn't have made it backwards compatible to earlier receivers (via a menu option, if nothing else).

I really have lost a lot of faith in the Echostar design team over this whole 811 fiasco.

Scott

FYI - Sample Rate Convertors will not work with an AC-3 stream. They corrupt the audio data. Also, NEVER pass AC-3 though anything that does not have a 100% unity gain structure (no data scaling allowed) as this will corrupt the audio data. That's the real beauty of Dolby-D and E, people can't screw it up.

I got the feeling that they hadn't gotten around to it yet. Something about the words "collecting information", "testing", and "call outs". Not to mention someone has to rewrite the code for the DD decoder and test it, and if it is the same guy that took 8 months to port the dish home stuff, well, you get the picture.

I figure i'll give them a month or two. The guy said he would email me to update me on the situation. When my patience runs out I'm gonna see if I can't get a 912 as a fix :D

WeeJavaDude said:
Actually mine says 96Mhz when I do a reset or when I turn it on with my 811.

I did another test and 96khz appears only after a reset. This could still be the reason. Wonder if anyone is having problems with units that claim to support 96khz?

OdiOdin said:

The header issue makes sense. I have been having the DD issue with my system as well. It manifests itself as static/rapid popping sound. When I attempt to get DD from my 811, my AC-3 decoder shows "pro logic" not DD which is normally displayed when using a DD optical (Xbox or DVD player).

If you are still compiling a list, you can add Technics SH-AC500D to the "doesn't work" list.

My Yamaha rxv-1400 works. I would suggest to the thread owner to periodically update his post with working or non working ones, so people don't have to scan through x # of pages to get their answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)