Lets get a list of Receivers where Dolby Digital does not work.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Same issues DD not working on an RCA RT2400. Nothing but a rapid chattering sound. Same ports work with an xbox, 501 and sony dvd player.

GaryPen said:
FYI - It seems the whole 96KHz theory is moot. My Denon has an available display of incoming signal stats, and it stated 48KHz when I was watching a DD5.1 movie on HBO.

Not necessarly Gary.. It could be something that the receiver is doing during intialization of the signal that is causing the problem. Hard to say at this point, but when mine is rebooted, I do see the 96Khz indication.

Might be a Red Herring.. Might not. Hard to tell at this point. Wonder if there is anyone out ther that has a Reciever that supports 96Khz and who is having the problem? Anyone have a receiver they know to be 96Khz compatable and you are seeing the issue?

tomes said:
My Yamaha rxv-1400 works. I would suggest to the thread owner to periodically update his post with working or non working ones, so people don't have to scan through x # of pages to get their answer.

Actually I do try to keep it updated, but the thread has been slow in buidling the info so I have not been checking it as often as I should. However, there is a great feature called "Search This Thread" that you can find in the top table headings. I added yours. :D

WeeJavaDude said:
Actually I do try to keep it updated, but the thread has been slow in buidling the info so I have not been checking it as often as I should. However, there is a great feature called "Search This Thread" that you can find in the top table headings. I added yours. :D

Updated the top to reflect user input. Hopefully it is more complete. I will try and keep it up to date. If anyone finds that it now works. Post to let people know.

Problem with Dish DD5.1 and Technics SA-950

Although it's already on the list as a non-working model, I can reconfirm that the Technics SA-950 does not work with the Dish 811 HD receiver in DD 5.1 mode. It previously worked fine with a DirecTV DTC-100 HD receiver, so this is very disappointing.

I had the same problem no DD on my 811 (onkyo rec)It would work im stereo pmc but not in DD on my HD channels.Had a service guy out thinking it was a bad 811. He called dishnetwork they said the software in the 811 had not been fixed and that none of the hd content was in DD anyway.Only HBO or Showtime where it said DD in the movie guide.Is this a ruse to get you to subcribe to the movie channles to get DD?

Panasonic SC-HT280

You guys had me worried. I just got the 811 last week and the Panny SC-HT280 seems to work with no problems thus far. The owner's manual states:

* "Only Dolby Digital, DTS or PCM signals (44.1 kHz or 48 kHz) can be reproduced through the digital terminal."

* "The digital input signal of sampling frequencies 96 kHz and other signal formats such as MPEG cannot be reproduced on this unit."

It seems that the new Pioneer VSX-1014 has trouble also accepting the signal from the toslink optical connection from the dish receiver to the pioneer input toslink.

This is just begining to be discussed on the AVS forums.

AVS Forums

Several people have verified that both the cable that they are using works, and the Pioneer port works as they have a second source that has a toslink output.

This has been my case too, but as my house got hit by lightening and fried several components, I cannot rule out the possibility of my 508 being damaged.

Dish sent me a new one, and I will try that one tonight.

Even though my Pioneer does not accept the signal, it is nice to know that my new Pioneer is not damaged.

One or two people said that the Radio Shack toslink amplifier works.

It did not work for me with my current 508 receiver.

I will try the new one tonight.

I have just stumbled across what I am assuming is the same problem that is being discussed here... I have an onkyo 601 and the audio has worked on all of my channels DD and regular for almost a year...as of yesterday(could have started sooner...last time I used this system was several weeks ago... don't use this system much)...no HD channels have audio now(Dish or OTA). I guess that I am a little confused as to why it worked and now it doesn't...I called Dish yesterday before I got a chance to look on here and they(adv support) have scheduled a replacement 811 for me... So I am not sure that this will fix the problem... any help would be appreciated...

So, does anyone know what to do about this?

I have had Dish send me out two different 508's, I had a tech dispatched to my house, and I have spoken to a level 2 teck, all with no results, and no one that says, "The Dish 508 is at fault".

I personally have tried 4 different toslink cables, a toslink amplifier from Radio Shack, a toslink to digital coax converter, all with no luck.

What I would like (and if anyone has any numbers I would be grateful) is to get upgraded to say, a 522. Heck, I would even pay a little to just get my Dolby Digital back.

Is there an e-mail for dish customer service technical dept?

Thanks!

Hi BuddTX, I am not aware of any DD problems with the 50X receivers. A few questions.

1. What is the brand and model of your A/V receiver or component?

2. Does the input on the receiver pass DD when another device is connected, IE a DVD player?

3. Do you have the Digital input on the receiver mapped to the device setting you are using?

NightRyder

BuddTX: I'm sure your aware but I should add that non-HD DD on Dish is limited to the following channels.

HBO East and West - Not all Programming is DD

Showtime East and West - Not all Programming is DD

Starz East and West - Not all Programming is DD

PPV - DD Indicated Channels

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Hi BuddTX, I am not aware of any DD problems with the 50X receivers. A few questions.

1. What is the brand and model of your A/V receiver or component?

2. Does the input on the receiver pass DD when another device is connected, IE a DVD player?

3. Do you have the Digital input on the receiver mapped to the device setting you are using?

NightRyder

Thanks,

Your first statement confuses me, isn't this whole thead about the Dish receivers fiber optic toslink DD incompatibility with various receivers?

1. Pioneer VSX 1014

2. Yes, my HDTV also has a toslink connection and it works correctly in ALL the toslink connections.

3. Good observation. My receiver has 3 toslink and 2 coax digital connections, all user assignable, and I have the DVD and HDTV all working just fine. I checked and re-checked this several times.

Another interesting observation, is that when I connect the ANALOG RCA L & R connections, the Pioneer Receiver shows ANALOG in the display, and when I hook up the DD toslink cable, the receiver switches over to DIGITAL and all sound dissapears.

I have also taken the HDTV toslink connector, and set up the receiver for DISH, and pluged in the HDTV fiber optic cable, and I get perfect HDTV sound, so I know that I have configured the port correctly.

I have also tried setting up the Pioneer Receiver to HDTV and the ONLY audo connection I have from the TV to the receiver is a fiber optic toslink cable, and I get perfect sound, and I switch out the toslink HDTV cable, and plug in the DISH toslink and still no sound.

As for your second post, about most of the sound only being Stereo, thanks, that does console me a little, and I knew this, but I like knowing that I am using the BEST option to connect my system together.

This is my ONLY option for now!

I might just "grin and bear it" until new receivers come out, maybe a less expensive HD DVR and see if they will swap me out.

Thanks.

BuddTX said:
NightRyder

Thanks,

Your first statement confuses me, isn't this whole thead about the Dish receivers fiber optic toslink DD incompatibility with various receivers?

BuddTX: Actually this thread is about various DD compatibility problems with the Dish 811 HD receiver. Kinda why it's here in the 811 forum ;)

Looks like you've tried all the fixes possible with your 508/Receiver combination. I don't know if I would count on another model Dish receiver solving your problem. If anything the newer Dish receivers, at least the 811, seem less compatible then the older ones.

Good luck.

NightRyder

I did a search on toslink and receivers, and found this thread, and missed that it was in a 811 forum.

I thought it was a general forum.

Sorry! Thanks for pointing this out to me.

BuddTX said:
I did a search on toslink and receivers, and found this thread, and missed that it was in a 811 forum.

I thought it was a general forum.

Sorry! Thanks for pointing this out to me.

No big deal. Sorry we weren't able to provide a solution for you.

NightRyder