Lets get a list of Receivers where Dolby Digital does not work.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

WeeJavaDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
SoCal
I tried this a while back and nobody replied to it. The people that are having problems with Dolby Digital post here with your make and model and any other information (Like settings) that you might help. THis way maybe someone has it working with their system or Dish might catch this thread and it can help them in narrowing down the problem.

Known Problem Units
Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080 preamp
Marantz SR4000
Technics SH-AC500D
Technics SA-DX950
RCA RT2400
Harman Kardon AVR55
Onkyo SR601 (Possible User Configuration Error)

Working but with some problems
Kenwood VR-3080
Pioneer VSX-1014 (there is a link to AVS Forum for more info)

Known Working Units
Yamaha RX-V800
Yamaha HTR5640
Yamaha rxv-1400
Yamaha RXV-3300
Yamaha RX-Z9
Pionee Elite VX-26TX
JVC 8030
JVC-6008V
ParaSound AVC-2500u
Sony STR-DB930
Sony STR-DA1000ES.
Sony STR-DE885
Sony DEH935
Sony DEH985
Denon 3805
Onkyo TX-DS989

WeeJavaDude said:
I tried this a while back and nobody replied to it. The people that are having problems with Dolby Digital post here with your make and model and any other information (Like settings) that you might help. THis way maybe someone has it working with their system or Dish might catch this thread and it can help them in narrowing down the problem.

Maybe we should also start one for those that *do* work, as well, to help out those who may be looking to buy one soon.

I know Denon, Sony and Pioneer receivers work. I think Kenwood and Yahama receivers have had problems. If you do a search I'm sure you could find a few others.

Quality Optical Cable Makes a Difference

I think if you do a search of this forum or the other one you will find a great deal of discussion on using high quality optical cables for the 811. You don't need a Monster Cable but just because another device works with your optical cable does not mean it will work with the 811. I think others have posted on how they changed out their optical cable and everything worked fine. So to just to do a survey based only on one's Home Theater Receiver without considering the optical cable will probably give inconsistent results.

Well I was looking for specific receivers that don't work. Model number and configuration. Two reasons for this.

1) Allows people that might have got it to work to Chime in.
2) Give Dish a list of ones that are not working. They might be able to test one then and see what the issue is. That is assuming that they have not already done this and they are watching this sight. ;)

BTW, I've got an idea to help narrow down the problem. If they have another Dish receiver with optical output, they should connect it to the same input on the receiver, just to see if it's definitely the 811, or if it's a receiver setting on that input.

My Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080 preamp doesn't get Dolby Digital from the 811. It works fine with the PCM output. I've swapped out the toslink cables (even tried Monster brand).

I don't have Dolby Digital problems with any other equipment, including my Dish 4700, using the same input.

Scott

Can someone give a very brief explaination of the difference of Dolby PCM, Prologic, and digital? I get great sound from my 508 if it is set to PCM which makes my receiver automatically go to Dolby Prologic. But if I set the 508 to Digital or to the "both" setting, if there is dolby digital present the receiver does go to digital, but the sound is very muted, so I always use PCM. I am using the optical link and have tried two different cables. (toslinks?) Thanks for any replies. I am not that well versed in the sound aspect of this!

A short explanation is that PCM is just left and right stereo. Your audio receiver takes that and can decode or impart a Pro Logic Surround effect. For a true Digital Surround sound experience, you need to have the Dolby Digital output enabled. With this, if the programming is DD, you will get the 5.1 surround sound.

PCM is regular stereo, analog Dolby Pro Logic

DD is Dolby Digital, 5.1 channels of sound.

Your audio receiver has to have the DD capability for 5.1 to work, not all have this feature. Especially those from more than 5 years ago.

Also note, just because it is DD doesn't mean there are 5.1 channels of sound encoded in the program. It could be 2.1, left right and sub channels.

Great idea if this info gets to Dish. I have 266 on an 811, when I use Dolby Digital I get occasional "clicks and chirps" from the receiver. Receiver is Kenwood VR-3080. Of course with the PCM setting it works fine, but no DD.

I have successfully used this same Toslink input on the receiver with my 4900, old 6000 and DVD player.

Pretty wide open question on that one since alot of folks may be receiving DD and not even know they are..its my understanding all HD channels broadcast in DD and if you don't have HD then the only DD channels you get are just a few like one or two of the premiums and PPV ones.

I realized that I didn't make myself clear in my post about the Kenwood VR-3080 when I saw it was categorized under "occasional problems". I should have said that I hear NOTHING but occasional "chirps/clicks" (don't know how to describe it). I never hear anything legible when DD is enabled. So, I would categorize this receiver under "does not work". Again, works fine with my 6000, 4900 and DVD player.

Someone called me after I emailed ceo@dishnetwork.com about this, and said that they call this the "clicking problem" or something, and were aware of it. Didn't have a timeline for the fix.

My JVC RX-880V has a red/green indicator and is supposed to show a "map" of my speakers on the front panel display when it is receiving 5.1 DD (light green). But, it is rarely green. This from an SD Directivo type II, a Samsung HDTV 360, or a Samsung DVD all connected digitally. Any ideas ? Do I need to replace the receiver ?
Thanks, Bob

got rid of Dish because the Audio was aweful.
No DD with my Harman Kardon AVR55.

C5 is the 8000 similar to the AVR55 if so can you tell me how you got it set up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)