Letter to go back to Directv

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
I think I have seen this post somewhere on the site, so forgive me if its already posted. But today I got my latest letter from Direct to come back targeting "Dish Network Subscribers" While each comapny does a nice job of targeting what one company has and the other does not, the Direct TV offer now includes a 100 gift card.

Intresting and with all the FACTS that Directv gives for not going to Dish, I guess these days they see Dish as a serious competator these days??

People will need that gift card for a down payment on their monthly bill. I just switched from Directv and I'm loving Dish Network. Won't switch back.

I'm sure they have always seen Dish as a serious competitor. But it's probably more heated now since HD is such a big deal. The race is on. When my contract expires, in 19 months lol, I will go to whoever has the most HD. It was Dish when I decided to ditch cable. In 2 years, who knows.

Unless dish seriously upgrades their sports offerings, I won't move.

By the way, noticed the other thread where everyone was posting their bills - most E bills are higher that my D bills - but do your own math - your mileage certainly will vary.

I have no inside info and am just going on my own observations of things I have personally experienced and what I have read in various posts. I believe there will be some surprising info in the area of subscriber acquisitions when both Dish and Direct announce their quarterly earnings next month.

I sent the letter back with a reply

Give me Absolute equivalent with Music cd

a hd dvr with ehd active
2 hd receivers with ehd active

for about $42 per mo or less

and then maybe or maybe not :D

I'm sure they have always seen Dish as a serious competitor. But it's probably more heated now since HD is such a big deal. The race is on. When my contract expires, in 19 months lol, I will go to whoever has the most HD. It was Dish when I decided to ditch cable. In 2 years, who knows.

No. The original Hughes management NEVER considered Dish competition and thought Ergan was a nut. Direct TV operated as if Dish didn't even exist. While Direct started out well, the Hughes management's attitude allowed Dish to catch up and poach far too many subscribers from cable that Direct TV could have had. This had the effect of lowering Direct TV's value. By this time, Dish really was serious competition, and when Rupert Murdoch finally bought Direc TV--all those who wanted it a few years earlier didn't want it anymore and, in fact Rupert was the ONLY one who wanted Direct TV by then--and was asked about Dish's tremendous growth and improvements, Rupert said, "We can't allow them to have a superior product." Yep, Rupert took Dish seriously and made it clear he would compete. It was Rupert and subsequent owners who took Dish seriously, never the old Hughes management.

I have no inside info and am just going on my own observations of things I have personally experienced and what I have read in various posts. I believe there will be some surprising info in the area of subscriber acquisitions when both Dish and Direct announce their quarterly earnings next month.

Are you thinking it will be postive news for Dish?

Are you thinking it will be postive news for Dish?

Well, if this site (and that other one) is any indication, there are a whole lot of people dumping Direct and switching over to Dish, and it doesn't seem like a whole lot going the other way...

I think now that Dish has the NFL Redzone channel they are a real threat to Directv. I have it and that's all i watch on Sundays. I don't go to my local channels to watch the games. If they get MLBEI, I think they will go ahead of Directv as far as subscribers go. The sports bars will still keep the Sunday Ticket (they have to if they want the business), but I see a lot of people on Directv dropping it and going to Dish or cable (if cable has the Redzone channel and Directv doesn't carry it).

What is it with these companies is it just me when I sign up with them and within 3 years they get uppity?.I was with DirecTV and changed to Dish who I had before but at that time I only ran a standard receiver(DP301).Being with DirecTV I got into their DVRs(R15&R22) and let me just say they suck!:p

Now I have Dish's 625 and it is awesome!(2-120minute live buffers in Single Mode and no timeout! imagine that!).DirecTV wanted me to stay so they made me an offer it didn't even match the offer Dish was offering on their website.But in all honesty DirecTV doesn't have The Hallmark Movie Channel,Pentagon Channel,Documentary Channel plus HBO Comedy and Starz Kids&Family and Starz Comedy channels in their standard definition packages!.So look out! Jack is Back!.;):D

P.S. Plus there's the fact I can tell my DirecTV friends.Remember when DirecTV's Premier package had the DVR fee included like my Dish AEP has now?.:rant:

I read in another thread that some DirecTv subcontractors are laying off people at a higher rate than in the last year.

I live in Cincinnati and I just had an upgrade to a dish 1004 and the installer told me that he was installing a LOT of Dish satellites and removing Direct satellites pulse cable.
In Cincinnati it seems to me that dishes of both types are sprouting up like dandelions.
I have not heard any thing from Time Werner but they have to be hurting.

DISH is cheaper than DIRECTV , and have been advertising it everywhere and I am sure a lot of people are out of contracts and going to the other side: the grass is always greener....

Right now lowest price is what is attracting people to companies due to the recession/depression. I know I have cut my basic bills down to the minimum to save more money. I cut out all premium movie packs with DISH and cut down to just 2 receivers; 722k and 211k ,which I turned into a dvr -without the monthly dvr fee. I used to have two 722 dvrs and a 622 dvr. I eliminated the Xm bill last year, listen to FREE radio, don't miss the monthly bill since I live so close to work. I cut out my T-mobile bill entirely last month and saved about 75.00 a month. Funny I don't even miss the cell at all after having it for 8 years. I even order my prescription drugs online now from India to save the monthly fee on my two meds I take a month. Saved about $110.00 a month over doing it through my insurance and using my doctor. DISH is doing the right thing in emphasizing LOWEST price and better receivers, and better technology than TIVO in their advertisements. It must be working since DISH is finally adding subs again. Even ATT is finding out that they are losing sat customers since they switched to DIRECTV 9 months ago. Price is very important in this economy.

DISH is cheaper than DIRECTV , and have been advertising it everywhere and I am sure a lot of people are out of contracts and going to the other side: the grass is always greener....

Right now lowest price is what is attracting people to companies due to the recession/depression. I know I have cut my basic bills down to the minimum to save more money. I cut out all premium movie packs with DISH and cut down to just 2 receivers; 722k and 211k ,which I turned into a dvr -without the monthly dvr fee. I used to have two 722 dvrs and a 622 dvr. I eliminated the Xm bill last year, listen to FREE radio, don't miss the monthly bill since I live so close to work. I cut out my T-mobile bill entirely last month and saved about 75.00 a month. Funny I don't even miss the cell at all after having it for 8 years. I even order my prescription drugs online now from India to save the monthly fee on my two meds I take a month. Saved about $110.00 a month over doing it through my insurance and using my doctor. DISH is doing the right thing in emphasizing LOWEST price and better receivers, and better technology than TIVO in their advertisements. It must be working since DISH is finally adding subs again. Even ATT is finding out that they are losing sat customers since they switched to DIRECTV 9 months ago. Price is very important in this economy.

I think thats a big plus with Dish....you can still get some HD packages at a good price, even the basic pack has some good channel choices!. I have AEP, but in the summer time, we downgrade

Mike here's some reading material.;)

Consumer Alert! Buying controlled substances prescription drugs on-line may be illegal.

Our decision was simple - VERSUS!

Direct TV = No
Dish Network = Yes

I heard the boneheads at Direct TV wouldn't allow VS on their satellite because VS was owned by Comcast? and they didn't want any revenue going to a cable company. I'm not sayin that's true, just what I heard. Doesn't matter - If they don't carry VS we won't be subscribing. I don't care for kick-fighting or bull riding, but VS has motorcycle racing that I've just gotta have. World Rally racing is a plus. Those guys are nuts.

But I have to ding Dish for their GUI (722 DVR) vs the TiVo Series 3 (cable) we came off of. The TiVo guide and recording interface is hands down easier to operate. Easier to surf, easier to see recorded programs, easier to locate programs, easier to delete programs, blah blah blah. The TiVo hardware is slower but the user interface layout and character quality is far better. We'd switch back but we moved to a neighborhood without cable (another long story).

It's gotten to the point where I surf the guide on-line then switch, or find a movie by going directly to HBO, etc (free for 30 days) website.

We've also gotten finicky with what we watch. If it isn't HD we just pass it by.

Dish (and probably Direct) have so many channels it's difficult to scan through them all. We haven't setup any custom channel lists yet. It's on my "to do" list, right after clearing out the garage (old house), clearing out the barn (old house), pressure washing the front porch, pressure washing the back porch, installing electric in the basement, drywalling the basement, setting up the workshop, racing, etc. I figure by Christmas I might have the custom lists set up lol.

Good to find a serious group on satellite programming. Keep it up!

Best,
- c bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts