Letterman returns wednesday with WRITERS

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
just read the associated press story. dave's company, worldwide pants, has negotiated an interim contract with the writers guild to return january 2 with writing staff intact.

recently, the WGA announced they would negotiate contracts independently with companies. letterman is the first to do so.

now, i have always been a dave fan but i think this is a terrific indication of how much he cares about his staff. no doubt, you have read leno and conan are also back wednesday sans writers!

craig ferguson will also be back with his writers too!!

good for you, dave! :)

Jay Leno will be back with new episodes the same as Dave on Jan. 2,2008.
Dave will destroy Jay in the ratings. Leno will not be able to do monologues or skits. He also won't be able to attract many A list stars,because they will refuse to cross the picket line. All you will probably see on Leno is D-listers and bands that are very desperate for attention.

Kudos to Jay. Those richy rich writers are so intent on squeezing every nickel they can get, that they are screwing over all the little people who make their jobs possible. They ruined christmas for a TON of people this year.

Greedy aholes.

I agree Chad. I don't think the writers should collect one cent while they are on strike,but they still have big royalty checks coming in from reruns etc. This while thousands of the little people are losing jobs. At least Jay and Conan are saving the little jobs,and possibly their shows, considering how low the rerun ratings were getting.

CAn't Jay write his own material? AFter all he was a stand up comedian before he was a host of the Tonight Show.

NO he cannot. He cannot use notes or prepared material of any kind. besides do you think that one writer is equivalent to a staff.

Wasn't this posted a couple of weeks ago? Not sure where I read this....

It was widely reported that leterman was trying to do this but most thought it would fail just as an attempt by Carson to do the same thing in an earlier strike did.

Kudos to Jay. Those richy rich writers are so intent on squeezing every nickel they can get, that they are screwing over all the little people who make their jobs possible. They ruined christmas for a TON of people this year.

Greedy aholes.

IS it the wriers doing that or the producers? Or both?

NO he cannot. He cannot use notes or prepared material of any kind. besides do you think that one writer is equivalent to a staff.

NO I don't, but I don't think he couldn't ad-lib his way through it . Why else is he actually going on the air ,if he is a part of the writers guild in the first place, if he is not going to be funny? Is he just going out there and look at the audience and say nothing?

NO I don't, but I don't think he couldn't ad-lib his way through it . Why else is he actually going on the air ,if he is a part of the writers guild in the first place, if he is not going to be funny? Is he just going out there and look at the audience and say nothing?

If Leno would use his stand up act , he would be band from network tv. :D

NO he will try to be funny and i am sure that to some extent he will be. But Letterman wsa successful stand up too give him the advntage of a full staff and I think that he will be funnier. Letterman can use his Top ten list, Stupid Pet tricks and all the rest. Leno will NOT be able to use any of his scripted segments.

I don't meant to put Leno down. I just think that Leterman has big advantage here,

Okay, but the point I was making is that you will have NEW content , what ever people think of it , on both Jay Leno Show as well as David Letterman. With the current drought due to the writer's strike , I would think everyone would be interested in knowing that info.

I did not mean any offense Mike. I am sorry if it seemedas if I did.

Well while we are at it Kimmel, Feguson and Conan are coming back too.

IMO, the days of unionism have outlived their usefulness. There are many talented people out there that would jump at the chance to write for a show like letterman or leno. I think it's anti-american to hold non-union jobs hostage and in this case, many others found themselves unemployed as a result. I believe in a fair wage but the entertainment industry has become a haven for greed and mediocrity at the expense of it's viewership and to those who want to work but cant because of antiquated labor law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)