LG 55" OLED TVs

I know my way around OLED, and I can tell you the LG's come pretty nice in their ISF modes, but they still need a cal.

Thee $600 cal from VE is a very good deal because they also inspect the panel for uniformity issues, which are huge on OLED's. The E6 I have in my bedroom was bought from them and I got the QC and Cal package. They will calibrate Day, Night and HDR10, and now they are setup to cal 2017's for Dolby Vision too. Robert at VE is a good guy. If you opt for in home cal, Chad B is top notch and $400.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I know my way around OLED, and I can tell you the LG's come pretty nice in their ISF modes, but they still need a cal.

Thee $600 cal from VE is a very good deal because they also inspect the panel for uniformity issues, which are huge on OLED's. The E6 I have in my bedroom was bought from them and I got the QC and Cal package. They will calibrate Day, Night and HDR10, and now they are setup to cal 2017's for Dolby Vision too. Robert at VE is a good guy. If you opt for in home cal, Chad B is top notch and $400.

Thanks gadgtfreek for the info. I sent an email to VE asking more info about the calibration because I can't find out anything in their web site about it. So are you saying the procedure is done in home? Their site says it is $600.

Well I finally got around to ordering my LG OLED. I too went with Value Electronics. I added the full calibration as well. There are better deals to be found but VE's reputation is well known and respected. In correspondence with Robert, he explained that the calibration takes approximately 11 days with everything done to ensure your set is at its peak. As gadgtfreek stated its race ready. A plus for the shipping is that it comes on a pallet to ensure the unit isn't just laid down flat.
The OLED will also sit on a new media cabinet. I went with BDI.

Well I finally got around to ordering my LG OLED. I too went with Value Electronics. I added the full calibration as well. There are better deals to be found but VE's reputation is well known and respected. In correspondence with Robert, he explained that the calibration takes approximately 11 days with everything done to ensure your set is at its peak. As gadgtfreek stated its race ready. A plus for the shipping is that it comes on a pallet to ensure the unit isn't just laid down flat.
The OLED will also sit on a new media cabinet. I went with BDI.
I wonder how the calibration will look when the TV is going to be conected to a different location and signal input, etc! I thought they should be calibrated where they are located.

Hopefully by mid December I should have those questions answered. Valid concerns for sure. For sure issues such as dead pixels or the panel lottery for banding issues I won't have to deal with.

I thought they should be calibrated where they are located.
While this was very important for CRT-based displays, it isn't as much of a condition now that the displays are mostly unaffected by the Earth's magnetic fields. Back in the day, convergence was a real problem any time the TV was reoriented. Now that there aren't any beams that are being deflected magnetically, it doesn't matter much.

I wonder how the calibration will look when the TV is going to be conected to a different location and signal input, etc! I thought they should be calibrated where they are located.

Nah, doesnt matter, things have changed a lot. They hook a high dollar signal generator to it in a light controlled room, and calibrate day, night modes etc... When displays had less, it was more important to do it to your liking in house to get the light output right, as far as gamma and grayscale, doesn't matter where you do it.

I think most do night around 150 nits, and then day much higher. All I ever use is a "night" mode, even in day. I just dont need torch mode, and I can tell someone else what to set my mode at because I know what I like (45 footlamberts or 155 nits)

Chad B will be here to do my 940E on Thu, and Ill tell him I want one SDR mode at 45fL, then he will do one HDR10 mode, and Im done.

Nah, doesnt matter, things have changed a lot. They hook a high dollar signal generator to it in a light controlled room, and calibrate day, night modes etc... When displays had less, it was more important to do it to your liking in house to get the light output right, as far as gamma and grayscale, doesn't matter where you do it.

I think most do night around 150 nits, and then day much higher. All I ever use is a "night" mode, even in day. I just dont need torch mode, and I can tell someone else what to set my mode at because I know what I like (45 footlamberts or 155 nits)

Chad B will be here to do my 940E on Thu, and Ill tell him I want one SDR mode at 45fL, then he will do one HDR10 mode, and Im done.
Understand, thanks. I am wishing Cyber Monday will come in like a roar, but I doubt it. Will probably pick up a 55C7P tomorrow from Best Buy. I found a TV Calibrator man here in my local area. Probably will get him to do the dead.

I have an old Panasonic DVD/VHS player/recorder connected to my 55C7P thru the 3 Wire RGA Video/Audio Mini Adapter cable. I have sound thru the TV speakers but no video. This unit played fine with my 2011 3D Samsung TV that was also connected with a 3 Wire RGA Video/Audio Mini Adapter Cable. Any clue why the video doesn't work with my C7P? I use this DVD recorder to make DVDs from VHS tapes. Thanks for any help.

I have an old Panasonic DVD/VHS player/recorder connected to my 55C7P

GIF-God-jaw-drop-jurassic-park-look-mother-of-god-OMG-pay-attention-shocked-surprised-GIF.gif

I have not, not really sure on that issue.
It has me stumped too. My Samsung has a DVD/VHS player attached to it with the 3 wire adapter cable and it works OK. Must be something in the OLED that doesn't like the video for some reason. This same Samsung worked OK too with my other DVD unit that is now attached to the OLED.

I have not, not really sure on that issue.
Figured out what the problem is. Swapped out the 3 Wire RGA Video/Audio Mini Adapter cable with my other TV that the cable is working OK. I have a bad 3 Wire RGA Video/Audio Mini Adapter cable. Nothing wrong with my OLED.

What function is this "3-wire RGA Video/Audio Mini Adapter" supposed to perform?

I'm wondering if you meant RCA, RGB, VGA or something entirely different.
RGA TV inputs.

Attachments

• RGA Adapter.jpg
    RGA Adapter.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 154
  • RGA Adapter-1.jpg
    RGA Adapter-1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 154

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts