LG Electronics exit suggests end is near for plasma TVs

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
(Reuters) - South Korea's LG Electronics Inc said it will wind down its plasma television business by end-November, as a technology long overtaken by liquid crystal display takes one step closer to its demise.

LG Electronics said in a regulatory filing on Tuesday that the decision reflects a decline in demand for plasma TVs, with the business accounting for 2.4 percent of its 2013 annual revenue. The exit was widely anticipated as LCD TVs have become the mainstay in global markets.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014...20141028?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews

S~

Does anyone buy/use plasma for anything but gaming these days? Gamers are pretty much the only people that I personally know that have bought a plasma since things swung in favor of LCD/LED quite awhile ago. I never considered a plasma myself due to the screen burn issues.

Yes, I have everything plasma, best picture ever for watching TV.....but I knew this day was coming. The later models are not as bad with screen burn issues. Models a few years ago yes very bad, you had to baby 'em. Not so bad these days. They will be missed. :(

More here:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2471112,00.asp

Reactions: T134
LG's 55" 1080p OLED is not $2600. We are getting there. If I had to to buy something right now, itd be the 65" 1080p model, but unless my VT50 dies, I'm waiting on a 70" 4K oled :)

Pioneer,Sony,Panasonic,Samsung and now LG so this doesn't come as a surprised to me
I personally like plasmas for their good black levels
Bye Bye plasmas you will be sorley missed :crying

Reactions: Jimbo
Does anyone buy/use plasma for anything but gaming these days? Gamers are pretty much the only people that I personally know that have bought a plasma since things swung in favor of LCD/LED quite awhile ago. I never considered a plasma myself due to the screen burn issues.
Anyone who cares about picture quality does. Burn in hasn't been an issue for many years.

Reactions: Ronnie-
OLED has the TECHNICAL potential to outdo the human eyeball. In color gamut alone- but that expanded range is not in any current or proposed spec, not even 2020. Maybe some military or industrial use will occur down the road.

Yep, that's the problem in a nutshell. OLED has the potential, just not the reality. :(

With DLPs gone and now it looks like Plasma is going too, we're stuck with 2nd rate LCD/LED and not quite great OLED. I for one am glad I got one of the last DLPs produced and have enough lamp assemblies to last about 6 more years.

Possibly by then something that is really better will come along.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

4k killed plasma. If you remember it took plasma a lot longer than LCD to get to 1080p because of the manufacturing difficulties. Manufacturing the tiny gas cells that 4k plasma would take probably could not be done at any reasonable cost. People are just not going to pay a premium for 2k TVs any more. 3D was a bust (as far as money goes), so now 4k is the answer to carry a premium price. Even if 4k ends up not carrying a premium price in the end who is going to pay $1k for a 2k Plasma when you could have a $1k 4k TV?

OLED sets are quite good now. They already exceed anything plasma can do. The main issue of course right now is that they are expensive. CNET rates LG's "low cost" $3.5k 55" OLED as the best set they ever reviewed (including plasma) in picture quality. http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-55ec9300/

And about that picture quality. Last year I called the Panasonic ZT60 plasma TV "the best-performing TV we've ever reviewed." That's no longer the case, because the LG 55EC9300 is better. It reproduces darker blacks and brighter whites, for sumptuous images (and I don't say this lightly) you have to see to believe. LG bobbled the color accuracy and video processing somewhat, and yes, I wish it was flat, but none of those problems spoil OLED's supremacy. As long as I wasn't seated too far away, I'd rather watch an LG 55EC9300 than any plasma, any day of the week.

OLED has already passed plasma in picture quality, but not in price. The key is that it will scale to 4k where plasma could not and the price will continue to decline.

Most Best Buys have this set in stock, so if you want to go see in person, go look at it. Remember where plasma was in the early years. My first plasma set (which I still have from Panasonic) is 720x480p because that is all they could do at the time. This set is where that one was 10 years ago... This is the early years of OLED. Plasma has died for a good reason. I have a Pioneer Kuro, and I say the OLED easily beats it even giving the poor lighting conditions at BB.

My son has a very dark room and loves plasma. When his panny plasma died he bought and led and he could never get a picture he liked. So, this past month he got the Samsung F8500 for a good price and he is loving his tv again. Now he can wait until everything shakes out with 4k and oled.

I do, I own 3 of them, however, they are top of the line Pioneers, I expect them to be around for quite awhile.

I never really had issues with burn in, also on these particular sets, there is a program (for lack of better name) built into the set that you can run IF you do happen to get burn in.

With the price of some of these LED's/LCDs, I can see why Plasmas are going away, they just cost too much to make, thats why Pioneer got out of the business when they did.

I'm gonna cry when these do go bad, no TV's yet are up to this standard, getting better, but not yet.

I haven't got into the oleds yet.

Not impressed with the Curved feature ...

Sony has a Very nice 4k out there.

My son has a very dark room and loves plasma. When his panny plasma died he bought and led and he could never get a picture he liked. So, this past month he got the Samsung F8500 for a good price and he is loving his tv again. Now he can wait until everything shakes out with 4k and oled.
A good Son would have given his parents his perfectly fine LED !

I sold my 58" plasma to my sister and got a 60" Samsung LED but I still have my 61" DLP Samsung that bought like 10 yrs ago. The picture on that DLP is still great!

I have two plasma 50 and a 60 way better picture than my led tv . To bad these will be my last , but I did like the picture on a 80 at Costco .

Have had panny plasmas for years, and that is what my two main sets are currently. Far and away better than any LCD or LED sets that I have or have seen at friends or families.

Sad to see them go.