LG may end Blu-Ray/HD-DVD war with Dual Player at CES!!

The page cannot be found

That link didn't work for me either. I picked up the story on Google news, with links to sever sources. Here's a link to PC World's take on the LG Dual Format Player, to be announced at CES:

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/003408.html

In other High Def news, Warner is going to announce at CES a hybrid disk at CES that can contain both HD DVD and Blu-Ray versions of a movie. Currently the disk - Total HD - can only have the 2 HD versions, but future disks may also have a SD version in addition to the 2 High Def formats. Here's a link to the C|Net News story:

http://news.com.com/New+disc+may+sway+DVD+wars/2100-1041_3-6147053.html

Looks like neither HD DVD nor Blu-Ray are going away any time soon . . :hatsoff:

Personally I think this all sucks. There should be one format to make things easier for everyone. I made my choice when I bought the HD-A1. It may or may not have been the right one but I made my choice and placed my "vote". This type of dual format I think is going to cause more problems in the long run. JMO.

shawn

Personally I think this all sucks. There should be one format to make things easier for everyone. I made my choice when I bought the HD-A1. It may or may not have been the right one but I made my choice and placed my "vote". This type of dual format I think is going to cause more problems in the long run. JMO.

shawn

I disagree. If end users have machines that can play anything, then the studios can just put out whatever discs they like and we don't have to worry about it. While one or the other would probably win out eventually, we could be confident that the player we bought would work either way.

If I had that confidence, I'd have a player at home right now.

On the other hand, I see no benefit in the dual-format disc.

Well, a dual format disc would cost more to manufacture, and no doubt more to buy. But then you could count on the disc being viewable for years in the future, long after your current player dies- assuming you have faith that one format or the other would survive. If you believe HVD or some other technology will obsolete both of these formats, then you're not going to buy anything.

I'd be inclined to buy a dual format player, from a name brand I trust. I would not buy Samsung. I have had mixed experience with LG, but for $500 I might give it a go. I doubt it'll be "only" $500 any time soon.

On the other hand, maybe I should buy the PS3. I'm not a gamer, but maybe it would get my stepson to visit us more often if he had it waiting here to play with.

Over on AVS a lot of see this Dual-Format player as a big bonus for Blu-ray because if the Player is a success there will be zero pressure on the Blu-ray exclusive studios to go neutral or switch sides.

Thoughts here?

~Josh

Over on AVS a lot of see this Dual-Format player as a big bonus for Blu-ray because if the Player is a success there will be zero pressure on the Blu-ray exclusive studios to go neutral or switch sides.

Thoughts here?

~Josh
I actually see it as more of a bonus for HD DVD. The studios would have no pressure to switch to HD DVD and use the cheaper to produce and manufacture HD DVD discs.

The dual player will have no impact on the format war. During the DVD and DIVX war there were combo players that would read both formats but that did not help DIVX in the long run. I can see the combo disc helping get the formats more along than the player because you can always be sure that the disc that you buy will be able to be played in the future even if one of the format fails.

Thoughts here?

~Josh
Over at AVS the elite AV snobs are already trashing it because it is made by LG aka Goldstar. They havent seen it yet but that alone makes in undesireable for them:rolleyes:

i personelly dont care who makes the hardware as long as it works .this might be the saving grace for the new formats . however time warners new true hd disks what are they thinking no way 3 formats can survive .

Total HD is not really another format from what I can see. All it is is a combo disk that has both the BD and HD-DVD versions on the same disk. It is no different than having the SD and HD version of the movie on the same disk.

Edit: Missed typed True HD instead of Total HD.

Last edited:
True HD is not really another format from what I can see. All it is is a combo disk that has both the BD and HD-DVD versions on the same disk. It is no different than having the SD and HD version of the movie on the same disk.
Do you mean Total HD? True HD is the lossless sound from dolby. I believe that both HD DVD and Blueray would be on the same side of the disc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)