LG's Dual HD DVD and Blu-ray player

I liked how they have a big blu-ray disc logo right on top of the machine,

This is from a blog at consumer reports

CES: LG may face licensing issues over lack of iHD

Consumer Reports has learned there may be a licensing issue with LG Electronics' new $1,199 "hybrid" Super Multi Blue high-def player, which can play both HD DVD and Blu-ray discs: because it doesn't use the iHD standard for interactivity (for features ranging from interactive movies to games) it violates the terms of the DVD Forum's licensing agreement, meaning it would not be able to bear the official "HD DVD" logo. The HD DVD licensing requirements mandate the inclusion of iHD-based interactivity. The LG player can play HD DVD titles, but it uses the Blu-ray Disc Association's Java BD interactivity to create a menu system for HD DVD titles. As a result, LG can sell the player, but the HD DVD group could force the company to remove any HD DVD logos and refrain from calling the device an HD DVD player. According to a Blu-ray representative, a company that made a player that only used iHD interactivity would have the same issue with the Blu-ray Disc licensing requirements, which mandate Java interactivity. While it's possible that future iterations of the LG player could include both forms of interactivity, that may prove to be an engineering challenge.

Unless they're Blu-ray types with weak knees. Provides some measure of assurance, I guess. But really, I'm beginning to doubt it'll ever come to market. Same trick to get free publicity, two years in a row?

Tis true. I learned this today. LG engineerr was rather quiet about it when I asked him to demo the enhanced HD DVD features. It gets worse. He could not demo the Blue Ray extra features either on this multi player. Ay least he claimed there were no additional features on either mode. He said thios is just a player only for the movie.
So, I'm switching gears for now, Looks like its HD DVD for me soon as my first HD disk player for the HT. Then I may put in a Blue Ray PC reader / writer for the data storage and in house way todo recordings of my HDV videos. But that nis down the road, if the format lasts. This LG multi player is DOA when it becomes widely known the lack of features. Too Bad as it is a great idea if the price was right.

Yeah I was all ready to get one of these, but hearing all the things that are crippled in it, its now off my wish list. I'll stick with my XBOX360's HD DVD for now.

HD DVD people commented that unless it did iHD and had all the other features required of HD DVD they would not be able to use the HD-DVD logo or call it HD DVD compatible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts