Liberty Channel - Status?

tkbrown

Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
I bought a lifetime subscription a couple of years ago primarily to watch the Liberty Channel.

I have not noticed the Liberty Channel on the IPTV offerings. Does anyone know how I can continue to receive the Liberty Channel? I do not know that I would even want to continue with a company that treats customers the way Sky Angel has done with the lifetime members.

Thanks!

You can view streaming audio from the Liberty Channel's website. I do believe they plan to be on SA IPTV, just may not have all the details in place yet to do it.

The Liberty Channel had an ad I saw advertising their move to IPTV on SA. However, on SA's site there is no mention of that channel moving. That channel was a major reason we subscribed to SA in the first place. Without it we would not have SA most likely.

I am making an 18 month commitment to the $14.99 Faith package at first and probably adding the Family package later on.

I too would like to see Liberty on IPTV as well as the NRB channel. FamilyNet would also be a good addition. If anyone feels the same, please let Sky Angel know, I did by email and phone. :)

Jeff

I will likely make the 18-month commitment to the Faith and Family package. I have grown accustomed to using an FM transmitter with Sky Angel to listen to the radio channels throughout my house, as well as Fox News. During a presidential election year, I will like being able to listen to Fox News on my radios anytime throughout the day. Fox News and the Hallmark Movie Channel are pretty much the only channels I'll tune into in the family package -- I already get most of the rest through cable.

I'm glad to see KTLW radio back on, and I hope it is correct that Solid Gospel Radio will be on the IPTV line-up. I'm also very glad to see Gospel Music Television back in the line-up. And some of the best programming (concerts, conferences) has been on Angel 2, which is not available in any other way than through SA.

The ability to select viewing from the last 48 hours is a huge plus - well worth a few $$. Not being able to do DVR recording is a bit of a loss, but being able to select viewing from a 48-hour period much more than makes up for that small loss.

FamilyNet would be nice, though I reviewed their program schedule and see almost nothing that is not already available on another channel. The NRB Network would be an excellent addition. And, hopefully, the Liberty Channel will be signed-up soon.

Frankly, I think SA IPTV has an impressive line-up.

Jonathan Falwell mentioned on this week's Thomas Road Baptist Church broadcast that questions had arisen about Liberty Channel on Sky Angel. He said that Liberty Channel would be on Sky Angel until at least April 1, 2008. Maybe that is the earliest possible date that the satellite operations would cease.

Jonathan Falwell mentioned on this week's Thomas Road Baptist Church broadcast that questions had arisen about Liberty Channel on Sky Angel. He said that Liberty Channel would be on Sky Angel until at least April 1, 2008. Maybe that is the earliest possible date that the satellite operations would cease.

Maybe they are in talks with Dish already. I hope that is the case.

today i spoke with liberty, its an issue with copyright fees being charged to get on iptv, they said to pray for them. they are looking at other means to get there channel viewed. they said there are off sattelite 4/1/08...

today i spoke with liberty, its an issue with copyright fees being charged to get on iptv, they said to pray for them. they are looking at other means to get there channel viewed. they said there are off sattelite 4/1/08...

Thanks for posting. I hope Dish picks them up.

The Liberty Channel does at least have streaming video at their website, though it wasn't working very well when I tried it out tonight.

Addendum: I tried the stream again, but this time selected the 56K speed even though I have high-speed cable broadband. This time around, the stream worked well. So if someone especially wants to see the weekly Thomas Road service, for example, this is a way to continue watching it if/when it is not on SA.

Last edited:
Liberty Channel

I emailed liberty channel and asked if they were exploring other avenues to view their channel. Here is their reply:

Sky Angels DBS system will still be running until April 1st and it is my understanding that we will be available to you in that capacity until then. We are considering other means of distribution, but do not have any hard and fast plans as yet. The cost of having a channel on Dish Network or DirecTV is enormous, so that is not one of our options at present. I am not sure what the solution will be as yet, but rest assured we are working to find one. I hope I answered your questions, but if not please let me know. God Bless.
--
Sandra Wagner
General Manager
Liberty Channel

I'm sorry Dish would cost too much for them. I'm shocked SA was up front with TRBC and not us. Didn't they think it would leak out?

The cost of having a channel on Dish Network or DirecTV is enormous, so that is not one of our options at present.

so lets see

Sky Angel uplinks all their channels on a transponder that they (SA) own but since they don't have the uplink, they use Dish Networks. So the channel is already there

So what they're saying is Dish or Direct is asking for an (no pun intended) ungodly amount of money to carry it? Come on. Most of the religious channels PAY to be on a satellite service.

Um, hello??? Its called getting the most eyes for your money.

Any amount of money is enormous - when you have been paying NOTHING. This is one reason SA is going away - Free broadcast time, lifetime members with no monthly pay, and only 110K paying subscribers.
Bob

The ministry has been through debt, and I think they are currently debt free and so maybe those now running it (Jonathan and Jerry, Jr.) are getting their ducks in a row and not wanting to take on more debt. Falwell did say his sons were more socially/spiritually conservative than him, so maybe they are financially conservative as well. I have no idea how much money Dish would ask to carry the Liberty Channel, but it's doubtful the channel would recoup that amount in sales of products on the site (which they currently do). Remember they also have 1 or 2 music stations, neither of which is carried on SA. The church has went from 5,000 in attendance to over 17,000 in just the last few years. If such an increase continues it may spur the leaders to get the channel on satellite again. I for one would love to watch their hockey games.

When I contacted Liberty awhile back, they said they want to be on SA IPTV, but since IPTV is a new platform, there is no copyright law for it yet. I don't know just how that impacts the situation, but I think Liberty is being careful, making judicious decisions. Maybe they will work out the kinks and come on to SA IPTV at some point.

living christmas tree

Libertys living Christmas trre didn't seem as conservative as usual. I don't recall ever seeing santa, a sleigh or reindeer before. Gave me the impressing the sons were more liberal.

I guess if they ae worrying about copyright they won't broadcast via glorystar?

Libertys living Christmas trre didn't seem as conservative as usual. I don't recall ever seeing santa, a sleigh or reindeer before. Gave me the impressing the sons were more liberal.

I guess if they ae worrying about copyright they won't broadcast via glorystar?

The channel was FTA in Lynchburg at least in the 1990s.

Yep, Santa was in several of the Thomas Road plays IIRC back in the 1990s. There was more student and alumni involvment back then though, also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)