Liberty plans to sell Starz in bid to take control of SiriusXM

The Fat Man

aka. Dr. Fat Man
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 2, 2010
Land where we pronounce our "R" as "ah"
I'm waiting for either Disney or Comcast to pull what Viacom pulled with Directv, using Starz as a sticking point. I know that Viacom wanted Directv to add Epix, but these companies could pull their channels to try to force an big price increase on Starz. And if Disney buys Starz, we all know what will happen to Starz for Dish subs.

So they can charge even MORE a month for Sirius /Xm, of course.
It ain't worth what they charge now. I'm always calling, threatening to cancel, and getting a 5 or 6 month deal for $20-30 total. When that runs out, I go a month or two at regular price. Then, I call again.

If I had to pay full monthly price, month after month, I'd cancel in a heartbeat. The 12 months for the price of 11 isn't much of a deal either. That's like a buck and a quarter off per month.

If they didn't pay idiots like Howard Stern and those other two morons astronomical salaries, it would probably be cheaper. They could get rid of every one of those DJ's, too. I don't want to hear them talking. I want to hear music. And, I'd like to hear it with higher audio quality, as well. XM had higher audio quality, and no babbling DJ's, before the Sirius merger.

The Fat Man said:
I'm waiting for either Disney or Comcast to pull what Viacom pulled with Directv, using Starz as a sticking point. I know that Viacom wanted Directv to add Epix, but these companies could pull their channels to try to force an big price increase on Starz. And if Disney buys Starz, we all know what will happen to Starz for Dish subs.

I don't think any provider would be bothered by a demand of a higher price for Starz. It's in it's own tier, they'll just raise the price of the tier and leave it up to subs to decide if it's still worth the cost. If subs drop Starz en mass, Starz will have to rethink the mandated price increase. Either way, it's proced separately so no other program pricing should be impacted.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yeah SiriusXM is too expensive for the lack of Quality of music and programming, the music is constantly repetitive and seems they only play songs from certain labels and artists. Howard Stern is over rated. And if Dish loses SiriumXM that won't be very good, unless they drop my fee by $10. Per month.

The only reason why I sub to XM is for MLB. No MLB, not Sirius XM.

Of course I still listen to other stations. but I will not pay for those other stations alone

I keep looking into Sirius/XM since switching from DISH because I miss some of the channels. Most noticeabley the GREATFUL DEAD, FIRST WAVE, ALTERNATIVE and LITHIUM . I see they have an old time radio channel that seems kind of cool. But if they are coming to DIRECTTV, it might not be worth me signing up for now. Does anyone know if the rumor is more than "rumor" I can't figure out what radio to get anyway from looking at Sirius's home page. Just want something for the house.

Last edited:
chiodo said:
Yeah SiriusXM is too expensive for the lack of Quality of music and programming, the music is constantly repetitive and seems they only play songs from certain labels and artists. Howard Stern is over rated. And if Dish loses SiriumXM that won't be very good, unless they drop my fee by $10. Per month.

Those Dish CD channels just do not compare to Sirius XM in my opinion. Sure, every once in a while a good song or two plays on the Dish CD channels, but I find myself flipping through the Dish CD channels to find another song that I like. I still question why some of the Dish CD channels (I think 923-949 range) are in AT250/Dish Latino Max instead of the lower tiers.

We did not like SonicTap as much. I am not sure what other providers offer. Isn't SonicTap the same as DMX? MusicChoice? Urge? think Urge if that even exists anymore...not sure if those channels were/are comparable.

We would not be happy to lose Sirius XM or/and the Encore Movie Pack.

Last edited:
Annie61 said:
I keep looking into Sirius/XM since switching from DISH because I miss some of the channels. Most noticeabley the GREATFUL DEAD, FIRST WAVE, ALTERNATIVE and LITHIUM . I see they have an old time radio channel that seems kind of cool. But if they are coming to DIRECTTV, it might not be worth me signing up for now. Does anyone know if the rumor is more than "rumor" I can't figure out what radio to get anyway from looking at Sirius's home page. Just want something for the house.

Oh man- dish loses NY Rangers on MSG, Mad Men on AMC, Portlandia on IFC.

Now we might lose Grateful Dead Channel and Jam Bands channels!

DISH also refuses PAC 12 networks!

Shoot - it's like all of the most important things I want to see - is not going to be available!

C'mon DISH - all I can say.

I drop Sirius after buying Apple TV, you can listen to internet radio for free, and only a very few commercials. Of course it doesn't work in your car, but for the saving it's just not worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts