Lifetime sub on HR10-250

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dturturro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 24, 2004
I have a lifetime TiVo subscription grandfathered on my HR10-250. If I cancel D* service but keep the sat feed for guide data will the unit still work as an OTA TiVo box?

See thread HR10-250 OTA Only and Monthly Fee on page 2 of this board. (sorry cant post link) D* told this person they could but would have to pay the monthly dvr fee. With you being grandfathered with a lifetime sub I would guess yes, but I think you'd have to call to be sure? --Ray

dturturro said:
I have a lifetime TiVo subscription grandfathered on my HR10-250. If I cancel D* service but keep the sat feed for guide data will the unit still work as an OTA TiVo box?

No, because as some people don't understand - the lifetime D-Tivo is tied to your D* ACCOUNT & NOT to a specfic box. As such it wouldn't matter if you had 1 HD Tivo or 6 - cancel your D* account & the DVR service on all of the bo:mad:es) totally die, INCLUDING OTA recording.
You can sit there all day & add/delete Tivo DVR's on/off your account - none of them will ever carry the lifetime DVR service themselves...

Sorry to bring back such an old post but this was the closet thing I could find searching the forum.

I have a Tivo lifetime subscription. I have two DTivos, one is the HR10 and one the R10. Since the lifetime Tivo is tied to your D* account, is D* honoring the lifetime subscription on their new DVRs? I have a feeling I am going to get stuck with a DVR fee once I need to upgrade to the HR20 & 5LNB dish when the last two sats go up and the new HD channels come to life.

Thanks

Sorry to bring back such an old post but this was the closet thing I could find searching the forum.

I have a Tivo lifetime subscription. I have two DTivos, one is the HR10 and one the R10. Since the lifetime Tivo is tied to your D* account, is D* honoring the lifetime subscription on their new DVRs? I have a feeling I am going to get stuck with a DVR fee once I need to upgrade to the HR20 & 5LNB dish when the last two sats go up and the new HD channels come to life.

Thanks

I was told yes on this because it is tied to your account

For those with Lifetime on your D-TiVo account, TiVo is now allowing you to transfer that Lifetime to a S3 TiVo through the VIP transfer offer. Keep in mind, it will cost you between $650-$800 for the S3 and $200 for the transfer and the S3 does not work with satellite. Also, unless TiVo changes it, you have to buy the S3 before 12/31/06 and do the transfer by 1/31/07

I have the lifetime and I was told there would be no DVR fee if I added the HR20 or upgraded

Not that I don't trust the CSRs but has anyone with a Lifetime sub successfully transferred it to an HR20?

Not that I don't trust the CSRs but has anyone with a Lifetime sub successfully transferred it to an HR20?

There is nothing TO x-fer - as we keep saying, it is on your ACCOUNT, not the BOX.
As I already said, the "lifetime" unit on my account was removed some 1/2 dozen boxes AGO & I have NEVER had a problem with my lifetime.

If you are adding the HR20 to your account, it will automatically get DVR service, at NO additional cost.
If you are swapping between units, however, you might want to be safe...
Simply add the HR20 to your account, wait a day, THEN remove the Tivo.
You will not have problems doing this.

There is nothing TO x-fer - as we keep saying, it is on your ACCOUNT, not the BOX.
As I already said, the "lifetime" unit on my account was removed some 1/2 dozen boxes AGO & I have NEVER had a problem with my lifetime.

If you are adding the HR20 to your account, it will automatically get DVR service, at NO additional cost.
If you are swapping between units, however, you might want to be safe...
Simply add the HR20 to your account, wait a day, THEN remove the Tivo.
You will not have problems doing this.

Now I'm really confused. If you add a DVR without removing one why wouldn't you get charged extra. Doesn't D* charge by the unit, not the account?

Now I'm really confused. If you add a DVR without removing one why wouldn't you get charged extra. Doesn't D* charge by the unit, not the account?

Because if you only have ONE DVR on the account & you are doing a SWAP, then technically, you are removing ALL DVR service from the account for a split second.
Other folks on the Tivo board have reported having problems with doing a swap on an account with only ONE DVR & loosing their lifetime. (due to the ONLY DVR box coming off the account)
Hence, the reason why I suggested doing it the way I said, to just aleviate ANY chance of this happening. ;) :up
It WILL cost you an extra .17 for having the extra box on the account for a day, but I guess it depends if that is worth NOT having the hassle of getting lifetime back.

You just have to make sure that when you call D* that the new unit is activated prior to deactivating the old unit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts