Lifting and Holding the Dish UP gives me 123 on Ku, so what to adjust?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Today I drove my 12 Ft Mesh Dish over to 123.0W on C Band, then I hooked up my Sat Meter to try and bring in 123.0W on Ku Band. I discovered that if I LIFT and HOLD the bottom Lip of the Dish I can see 2 of the strong Tp's on 123.0W.... that is: 11700, and 11800 with Quality of approx 20%. You really have to lift up on the Dish. Adjusted Elevation up about 2 full threads and after tightening my newly installed Bolts & Nuts on the Dish I still couldn't pull in 123.0W on Ku - but S = 68 now on 11700 and 11800 where previously the best I could get it was about at S = 65. This was done after Peaking the Actuator 10 to15 clicks from East to West inside the House to see if I could fine tune for 123.0W on Ku Band. Went back outside and even with the Mount Bolts Tightened up I could still pull the Dish up and see those 2 Tp's until I let the Dish go, just couldn't move it sideways from East to West.

What is the Best way to proceed here, - that is keep adjusting Elevation UP even more or should I look at Declination as well?? Any replies would be much appreciated.

Look Here: Footprints by Dish Size - Adjusting the Polar Mount for Prime Focus Antenna - C/Ku-Band Satellite Systems - Tuning, Tracking, Azimuth, Elevation, Declination Angles, F/D Ratio, Focal Distance, Inclinometer, LNB/Feedhorn Assembly, Actuator Assembly, C

Proper tracking of the whole arc will assure the right performance. Simply playing with the elevation, N/S (azimuth) and declination may tune in that bird, but will throw everything else off. Do it right you'll be better off in the long run.

Look Here: Footprints by Dish Size - Adjusting the Polar Mount for Prime Focus Antenna - C/Ku-Band Satellite Systems - Tuning, Tracking, Azimuth, Elevation, Declination Angles, F/D Ratio, Focal Distance, Inclinometer, LNB/Feedhorn Assembly, Actuator Assembly, C

Proper tracking of the whole arc will assure the right performance. Simply playing with the elevation, N/S (azimuth) and declination may tune in that bird, but will throw everything else off. Do it right you'll be better off in the long run.

Thanks for the reply tvropro. Well that's kind of what I have been doing. Because after adjusting and trying for 123.0W on Ku Band, I immediately noticed that many of the other Satellites on the Arc are now better - especially ONN on 74.0W - it improved from Quality of 37 up to 80 now, and most of the C Band Satellites are better after Peaking with the Actuator. I am reading the 15 page article and Chart you referred to extensively. I'm just not sure what else I can do to improve more on 123.0W on Ku Band, that is does it need more Elevation??

Can you see 129 west? If so, check your Quality there. People have posted that the Ku @ 123 was weak. Also recheck LNB / Scalar Ring position.

The Equity muxes on 123 W G-18 are much weaker then they were on G-10 by me on my 85cm dish. We got some feed back here in a post a while back and the majority of those who answered said G-18 was weaker. Don't make much sense (new bird) but it is. First day though it was blazing in here. I think the either backed off the transponder power or changed the beam of the satellite.

Getting back to your dish make sure everything from the feedhorn, F/D, focal length & centering is set perfect before adjusting elevation, azimuth etc. Then peak the dish on the ku arc and c band will fall into place like magic :)

Can you see 129 west? If so, check your Quality there. People have posted that the Ku @ 123 was weak. Also recheck LNB / Scalar Ring position.

Thanks Lak7 and Tvropro. Lak7 I tried for 129.0W on Ku Band before and only had 0 to 10 Quality before, so mayby it will now be be better. I now have to move the Actuator 12 -14 Clicks to the East to dial in the other Sats on the Arc, so I must have made a major adjustment yesterday, but after Chalking the Pole Mount it looks like I didn't move it much, and this time I really tightened up the Pole Mount Bolts!!

Reception on most C Band Sats is much better - ie 123.0W on C Band (ABC Backhaul colorbars) is now in the 80's for Quality, and surprisingly Quality on 74.0W on Ku Band is now at 80. As you guys suggest I likely need to recheck F/D Ratio and my LNB's in the Scalar for level. And thanks for the info on 123.0W on Ku re its weaker signal these days.

One other thing I have constantly noticed is no matter what Satellite I check, if I LIFT the DISH I usually get better reception, for example on 97.0W my South Bird, reception goes thru the roof if I slightly pull UP the Dish.

Need to loosen bolts on polar mount, rotate entire dish assmbly on the pole (slightly to the east, if I remember correctly) SMALL amount, like 1/8" at a time. Recheck other sats across arc.
That is assuming you have your elevation and declination already set properly. Take a soapstone or something to make a mark on the pole and mount Before you move anything, so you can go back to the starting point if necessary.
Note: with a big dish, it is easier to go to your due south bird before you attempt to loosen the bolts on the polar mount, else all that weight may throw you off when you try to twist the dish!!! Then go back to 123 and check.

i had the same problem with my bsc621, basically the dish needed to be turned a little on the pole to track the clark belt correctly, i never noticed this problem on c-band signals but ku is more picky as to tracking the arc.

Thanks for the comments TurboSat and I4tas. Hey Lak7 I finally got White Springs on 129.0W tonight. Thanks to a tip from Phlatwound I scanned it in on Tp 11963 2920 H 1/2. S =59 and Q = 15%. It is surprisingly stable with no breakups, but the movies look kind of grainy and older. So now just 123.0W on Ku Band is the only Sat I can't get.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts