Lighting charcoal for smokin'

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I used to use a chimney, then the Minion Method, but now use the Blowtorch Method. :p

It seems to work quite well, just light a few on the top, and have 2-3 wood chunks buried lower in the pile. Of course, this is with natural charcoal. I think briquettes put off a bad odor when first lit, so when I used to use briquettes, I made sure they were all lit before cooking.

Of course, I never use starter fluid or fatwood sticks. Considered the electric wand.

What is everyone else doing? Anyone using an electric starter?

I don't have to worry about off flavors with the Orion and only Briquettes are available here so I use starter fluid (have used gasoline when out of starter fluid, let it set for a bit) if coals are slow getting started for various reasons I use my propane weed burner... legs rotted off of my charcoal grill but I used a chimney with it and my Brinkman smoker...

I used to use a chimney, then the Minion Method, but now use the Blowtorch Method. :p

It seems to work quite well, just light a few on the top, and have 2-3 wood chunks buried lower in the pile. Of course, this is with natural charcoal. I think briquettes put off a bad odor when first lit, so when I used to use briquettes, I made sure they were all lit before cooking.

Of course, I never use starter fluid or fatwood sticks. Considered the electric wand.

What is everyone else doing? Anyone using an electric starter?

I use the Weber Chimney with fire starter gel cubes as shown....

AAAAApyG1eYAAAAAAL-DPw.jpg

Now the method I use within the chimney (ie Minion, etc) depends on the recipe at hand.

BTW, for the newbies, the Minion Method better explained can be found here.....

Firing Up Your Weber Bullet - The Virtual Weber Bullet

It's basically a method designed where you just light a few charcoals and dump on top of a chamber full of unlit charcoals to allow the unlit fuel to catch fire gradually and allow for longer cook times and more manageable temperatures.

Also, I repeat........ I NEVER, EVER use lighter fluid.

On the minion method, take a large can such as a coffee can and cut both ends out. Place the can in the middle of your charcoal pan. Finish filling the rest of your pan with unlit charcoal. Pour lit charcoal into your can from a chimney. Take a pair of pliers and remove the can. Stratigically place your wood chunks where you want the smoke.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)