Limit on # of receivers one can have active?

shaggyjb

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I have the following receivers that are currently leased and activated:

522 (dual tuner SD DVR)
942 (dual tuner HD DVR)
211 (single tuner HD)

I also own a 311 (single tuner SD) that is currently not activated. Will I be able to activate this receiver or is there a limit on the number of receivers that can be active on one account? I have a DP44 switch, so I have everything I need to have 4 receivers active. I am just unsure of what DISH's rules are.

Since someone will ask, I will go ahead and preemptively answer. I know that this seems like a lot of receivers, but the 522 and 942 came with the install, and the second tuners' signal quality is just not good enough for me since they go over a long run of coax. I have four TVs, all of which I think look TONS better on S-Video for SD and HDMI or Component for HD. So, the second tuner on each dual tuner is basically unused aside from the occasional picture-in-picture use.

One other question. When is the best time to call for reciever activation (if I can do it)? I just sat on hold for 20 minutes at 9pm EST with no answer.

Thanks for the help!!

you can have 6 on a residental account.....I know some people have been able to get 8 on an account

To activate, did you hit the "tech support" option? You should get through right away

Is it the number of receivers or the number of tuners that matters? I have 4 receivers on my account (two are 921's so it adds up to 6 tuners). Over the next year I would like to get four 622's to replace my current group, for a total of 8 tuners. Will they see this as four or eight receivers?

I think its boxes but I could be wrong

I do know of people having 3 or 4 dual tuner boxes (522, 322, etc) on one account

That's correct, it's the number of receivers not tuners that are allowed on an account.

i did a nbaplayers house (clippers) and on his account it started off with a 625-811 and 311 then a few weeks ago i went back and replaced the 811 and 311 for a 942 in each place ,leaving 2x942 and a 625 -6 tuners last week i went back and replaced the 942 with 622's and added a 3rd 622 reinstalling the 625 and 311 =ing 9 tuners with turned out to be a two hours phone call to advanced tech who didnt want to activate all the rec's questioning the size of the house and asking all kinda dumb as* questions but finally got them all done,then turned right back around and removed the 625. i have been to there houe 5 and it's always a problem

oh and yeah each dual tuner it set for one tv in single mode and there will be two more hd tv's installed next month and there are getting two more 622's . for a total of 11 tuners

I think the reason why it is the number of receivers vs. the numbe of tuners is due to the fact that some people are using the dual tuner receivers in single user mode (like I am) but want the option to run additional televisions in the future on the second tv output.

Thanks for the responses. It would certainly make more sense to be the number of receivers rather than tuners but thought I had better ask.

Does Dish charge per receiver or per tuner? It sounds to me like a great way to get out of some fees. lol

I bought a receiver on eBay and activated it because Dish wouldn't let me lease a third one from them. That was fine with me, though. I figured I could buy one and get out of the $4.99 monthly lease fee. No, those crooks stuck me with a $5.00 monthly "outlet" fee. They've got it all figured out, don't they? lol

n9xcr said:
Does Dish charge per receiver or per tuner? It sounds to me like a great way to get out of some fees. lol

Dish charges per tuner. But, with 2 tuner boxes they will waive the second tuner fee if keep the receiver hooked up to a phone line. So, you can hook up 2 TVs for the cost of one if you have a phone line to use.

I got 4 receivers.2-622,1-721,1-501.Dish called me and did an "audit".Made me go to each one and give them the location ID on each.I am guessing that way they know all receivers are in your house and not at anyone else's.

They charge per tuner and since they do not have to pay NagraVision for that second tuner that is pure profit unless you have the phoneline plugged in.

No wonder why some people stick with cable, they only need a splitter without any additional outlet fees to get their basic channels.

pwherr said:
I got 4 receivers.2-622,1-721,1-501.Dish called me and did an "audit".Made me go to each one and give them the location ID on each.I am guessing that way they know all receivers are in your house and not at anyone else's.

lol...That's kind of a funny idea. That'd be one way to save on service fees...split them with someone.

I don't know anything about the location I.D., but it would be funny if they changed what your receiver displays in that field before they call you, and you read them what you wrote down in preparations for the possibility of an audit. hehehehehe

n9xcr said:
lol...That's kind of a funny idea. That'd be one way to save on service fees...split them with someone.

I don't know anything about the location I.D., but it would be funny if they changed what your receiver displays in that field before they call you, and you read them what you wrote down in preparations for the possibility of an audit. hehehehehe
I'll bet they catch a bunch.If they can cheat the system people will find a way.

n9xcr said:

Location id changes constantly. You can't write it down because it will change. Also if you gave them an invalid id they would shut you down in a heart beat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)