Status
Please reply by conversation.

TRG

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 19, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Hi guys. How clear of obstructions must you be to get full signal quality? For example look at the picture below. Lets assume that there is no wind and the app is 100 percent accurate. Would the tree to the left of 82W cause any signal loss on weaker transponders? Is there a difference between the beam size of C vs Ku band? Thanks.

003_dishpointer_ar.jpg

Last edited:
I think that you meant to the left of 97W....

If this shot is taken from the bottom or bottom/left of the reflector, there should be no problem if the inclinometer and compass reading are calibrated.

C-band will stand up against a few more leaves on an offending branch, but the LOS for the satellite signal window to pass through is the same for C and KU.

And the size of the windows is? , I mean, Is it the size of the dish or do you have to use the Fresnel Lenses theory to calculate it taking into consideration the distance to the obstacle and obviously how far the source is (the sat at 36 000 km) and both ends heigths. I would assume because the sat are so far away compared to the obstructions then is safe to assume the window has to be the Dish shape and size, Is it?.

Correct, the window size would be approximately the same as the dish size. Think of it this way..... if the satellite was a light source, the shadow cast by the offending tree branch would be approximately the same size. At this distance from the satellite, the fresnel effect is negligible.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)