Linux knowledge for pctv setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

outbackjack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
maine
I have been using winxp with my prof 7500. the apps vary from mediaportal, sichbo and smartdvb. sichbo and smart seem to be the best of the bunch. i have never had luck with prog, dvbdream and the rest oh them. i continue to have issues that i think are more windows related (bsod, ac3 decoding, hd lag and program crashing despite adding an nvidia 8100 video card). i have always been interested in linux so i partitioned half of my drive for Ubuntu 11.04. i have tried to run couple of the free programs like mytheater. but i keep getting error that folder user/lib/dvb/device missing. i have tried every get*** command and it still puts everything in user/lib. do i have to do a mkdir command? or something else. what i am trying to accomplish is something more stable than winxp. i really like sichbo and smartdvb but winxp has always been a headache for me (previous headaches win98, 3.1 & winnt). any help greatly appriciated:)

first thing i would do is look up mythbuntu (ubuntu based), or some of the other myth editions (mythdora, knoppmyth).... myth however is in the same boat as stb's & other dvr programs, its not a 1 program solution.... last time i had a linux box goin i had vdr also running with myth... vdr is better at live tv watching & myth is better at recording, unless something has changed in the past few years... another thing i might add is dont ever upgrade the distro unless u like trying to reconfigure it again (other linux users may have found or know an easier way to do this)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts