List View or Tile View...that is the question

• Tile/Thumbnail View (current display)

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • List View (VIP Style)

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Don't Care/Never Thought About It

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters
I don't see anyone being either/or with this. This is a poll about which they prefer, and people are answering accordingly.

Last edited:
I like the tiles. What blows is, the fact that when I have 80 shows recorded, I have to sit there and scroll ALL the way to the bottom to watch the oldest. I mean who da frack watches the newest stuff first? This is probably the main thing I miss about Directv, the simple ability to place the oldest programs FIRST.

It's also lovely, after I scroll down to #80, watch it, then delete it, I have to scroll all the way back down to #79 to start it. Dumb...

Sometimes I think the trolls that write software have never used the device they are writing it for.

Why would you watch episode 80 before 79??

Try setting the sort of your shows to Episode #. That will put the older episodes at the top of the list.

So, what is your fix?
an example of something that might help is the ability to sort by shows automatically into subfolders once the recordings are in a folder. Also increasing the number of folders you can make from 5 to something like 10 would be nice.

There are really any number of easy ways to improve the DVR navigation and file management when dealing with hundreds of recordings. It would not surprise me that they are working on improvements as they have been recently addressing some of the usability issues that we posted way back in March of last year.

Why would you watch episode 80 before 79??

Try setting the sort of your shows to Episode #. That will put the older episodes at the top of the list.

Because, sometimes, the networks show episode 80 before 79. I know, it doesn't make sense, but it happens quite often. Now if you sort by date aired that would make sense....

I don't know why it's such a big deal. I use folders by name sorted by DVR date, and when I click on an icon I have a LIST sorted by episode number - to me it's a perfect setup. BTW, the Hopper/Joey system is designed for HD TVs. VIPs are designed for mixed TV households.

Because, sometimes, the networks show episode 80 before 79. I know, it doesn't make sense, but it happens quite often. Now if you sort by date aired that would make sense....

If that's the case, then we all know it's not Dish's fault if the guide info is wrong. At least the capability is there to show earlier episode numbers first....

I like the list view , as do the majority in this poll. The problem with the tile view is the small print that scolls at the bottom is what we see in a much larger font in the list view. We just don't want to see the show name or a picture of a movie. we want to see the episode info and movie name in a larger font. Windows solved this problem by allowing you to see the tile/Icon in 4 sizes, plus a list and detail option. Dish's tile is about that of Window's large. An extra large option would solve my problem. The window detail view is what we got with VIP receivers , show name and storage size.

I don't know why it's such a big deal. I use folders by name sorted by DVR date, and when I click on an icon I have a LIST sorted by episode number - to me it's a perfect setup. BTW, the Hopper/Joey system is designed for HD TVs. VIPs are designed for mixed TV households.
We're saying that if you wanted to do a major house cleaning of individual shows or shows within groups/folders, with the VIP system, all you had to do is go your recordings, select edit, expand out the groups and delete away...no screen changes necessary. With Hopper, you have to go to each folder one at a time and repeat the process for each. Time consuming by comparison.

We're saying that if you wanted to do a major house cleaning of individual shows or shows within groups/folders, with the VIP system, all you had to do is go your recordings, select edit, expand out the groups and delete away...no screen changes necessary. With Hopper, you have to go to each folder one at a time and repeat the process for each. Time consuming by comparison.

I actually find it to be faster to press DVR, select No Folder, and then start deleting away. In both cases you still have to put a check mark on whatever you want to delete.

I actually find it to be faster to press DVR, select No Folder, and then start deleting away. In both cases you still have to put a check mark on whatever you want to delete.

Yeah but as stated in another thread, it is a LOT easier to scan through recordings in a list than it is a bunch if tiles where not only do you have to look up/down but also left/right.

Also on 722 you can still sort by title while expanding folders all on one screen.

We're not talking about replacing tile view. We're talking about having the option do do tile view or list view.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts