Little Big Planet for the PS3

alright so I am waiting your word on if this is good or not, I sold my PS3 to get just a normal Bluray player, but I miss my ps3 for this game, and killzone 2 and a couple others, I have the Metal Gear Solid Pack coming to me this week, I am interested in seeing what you have to say! let me know.
I've been playing a little bit of it, and I have to say that even just as a platformer game it is quite fun. I haven't delved into the level creation yet, but the fact that you can download OTHER people's content is a big coup. I recently downloaded Duke Nukem 3d for XBL, and I had played it originally for the PC, and I was reminded how cool it was to create our own maps and download them and play these cool maps that other people had made ("Assualt" was one of my favorites.) In theory, with LBP you have a game that has an infinite amount of levels. You also can't deny that the game is incredibly charming and cute. You'll find yourself easily consumed with playing around with Sackboy's limbs and character designs. It's definitely a game that should be in your GameFly Queue at the very least.

Now that I'm getting deeper into the game, I'm really beginning to appreciate the creativity and originality that went into the level design, as well as the challenge in getting through it. If you die 5 times before reaching the next check point, you start the entire level over again, even if you got past the last checkpoint of the level. The sidebar challenges level are a hoot too and your scores get posted on the PSN, so you can immediately see how you rank.

Hehe ya, just lame you can't import images via the media card reader (for those lucky enough to have it) via USB or via home network. It should have been a no-brainer to include it. If they were worried about file sizes.... impose limits. For such an open game it's an asinine exclusion and has to be motivated by $$... why would you buy a sticker if someone can just recreate it (or make a better one) for all to download online and send to your own PS3?

I bit the bullet and ordered it, and it finally arrived last night. I was surprised on how addictive it is. It's neither hard not easy... just the right mix to keep you going without getting too frustrated. I was hoping it was something my wife and I could enjoying together as I typically prefer RTS type games, and she loves hockey and tetris like games... Sure enough she loved it too and the coop mode definitely works well and is a blast. As predicted she loved the ability to customize her little person. Not sure if it's something we'll play for months, but nice to finally find something we can both enjoy together with some healthy competition.

Something must still be up with the online mode as I accidentally selected Online mode for the intro for her to learn to use the game. Someone else joined and the lag was so bad the game was moving high speed (narrator was talking really fast) but the control were non-responsive (even the PS button didn't work.) Finally the other person who had connected dropped and we could exit out. A couple hours later we decided to play another quick game and it errored out on the online servers.

-Mike

So I have a question (hoping to get this game from Santa :)) - when you create a level, does it have to be online, or can you just create one that is stored on your HDD?

Was kinda wondering that myself, if people who got their levels moderated were able to just dump it back online sanitized to avoid the moderation or if they were gone forever somehow. I imagine that could be easily fought if they all had unique identifiers... say, your console ID + a sequence of numbers that increments for every level created. That way when a level is banned, you ban the unique ID, and even if it's reuploaded it's never reindexed(or is auto-deleted) so only choice would be to recreate it or something?

I was wondering because of the idea of importing pictures into the levels... I'm not crazy about the idea of posting personal pictures on the Internet, so I'd like to keep those levels to myself.

I think I got the answer to my question, though, from a review I read. Sounds like you have the choice to publish a level after you've created it.

Was kinda wondering that myself, if people who got their levels moderated were able to just dump it back online sanitized to avoid the moderation or if they were gone forever somehow. I imagine that could be easily fought if they all had unique identifiers... say, your console ID + a sequence of numbers that increments for every level created. That way when a level is banned, you ban the unique ID, and even if it's reuploaded it's never reindexed(or is auto-deleted) so only choice would be to recreate it or something?
They'd probably ban you from PSN or something or prevent you from uploading. I don't think they have the authority to delete something that you created on your HDD.
I moved and just recently unpacked most of my stuff. I'd love to delve back into this game.

So I send the wife out this morning to grab a copy of Little Big Planet. SamsClub was all out. She goes across the street to Walmart. They have a bunch, but are pulling them of them shelf!? Says they can't sell them "because of a defect in one of the levels. Are they just now getting around to pulling the original ones with the "bad" lyrics? Doesn't make sense. I don't know of any other issue with LBP.

** Asked the wife to get more info. According to the guy in the game dept., the game is freezing on one of the upper levels. At least that's what's it's telling him on his PC screen.

Last edited:
I've heard of freezing associated with online play since the debut of LPG, but those seem to be server related. Seems like if there's a glitch like that they would send out a patch before pulling units off shelves on Black Friday. Weird.

So I send the wife out this morning to grab a copy of Little Big Planet. SamsClub was all out. She goes across the street to Walmart. They have a bunch, but are pulling them of them shelf!? Says they can't sell them "because of a defect in one of the levels. Are they just now getting around to pulling the original ones with the "bad" lyrics? Doesn't make sense. I don't know of any other issue with LBP.

** Asked the wife to get more info. According to the guy in the game dept., the game is freezing on one of the upper levels. At least that's what's it's telling him on his PC screen.

wow that sucks.

Was kinda hoping for a nice Black Friday sale for LBP... but haven't seen anything :-(

wow that sucks.

Was kinda hoping for a nice Black Friday sale for LBP... but haven't seen anything :-(

Same here. I promised my kids we'd be playing LBP this weekend. I went out a rented it for now. Not sure what's up at Walmart. Haven't seen any info about them being pulled anywhere else. Sams and Walmart are easy in and out for me. Anywhere else, and I'd have to fight the crowds and traffic today. I'll just order it online this weekend.

wow that sucks.

Actually there was a cyber monday deal for $39.99 on Amazon for LBP. I think though that it sold out very quickly, as the price is now back up to $59.99.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)