Little white spot

I've narrowed down the white spot issue, it's on every single Voom HD exclusive channel except for HDNews. It doesn't matter if it's a 720p or 1080i signal, they all do it. The white spot is 12 pixels high by 2 pixels wide and only shows up when there is a small black space on the bottom of the image. A lot of the Voom HD exclusives have a small black gap only on the bottom of the image and this is where it shows up in the extreme left bottom of the picture.

DarrellP said:
... in the extreme left bottom of the picture.
Do you know what's your projector's overscan? Is the spot you are talking about within the 5% overscan frame?

My overscan is about 3% so the white spot falls between 3% and 5%.

DarrellP said:
My overscan is about 3% so the white spot falls between 3% and 5%.
That's what I thought! This would explain why most people don't see it... 5% overscan is rather typical.

We watched Clockwork Orange on Cinema 10 last night with no "white dot" then when I started to channel surff a small white dot appeared in the center of my Toshiba 65" rear projector, and would not go away on all the HD channels. Remembered this Post but when it started it was about a plasma set so I didn't follow up. It is really bizarre and most distracting! Never have had this happen on HD with DirecTV. If it was not for this Forum anyone would think it was an expensive problem with their OWN equipment. Now days if I experience any problems with TiVo, DirecTV, VOOM or any A/V equipment the first think I do is get "On-Line" and hopefully find others with the same issue. Thank goodness WE are not alone!

Yep, Darrell, exactly same thing happened to us a couple...

of days ago. Eventually went away after changing channels several times and hasn't come back. Might be related to what Ilya has posted about pixels in the picture area.

Under Seattle sun, Gill

Mine is there all the time and is unrelated to what Ilya has posted. As he said above, since my projector has very little overscan, you guys may not be seeing what I am since it is in the area right at 3% overscan, if your TV has 4% or more, it will not show up.

DO you guys see a black bar at the bottom of all the Voom exclusives except for HDNews?

White spot, almost center of the screen, about 4-8 pixels in size. Thought it was a bug, then a flaw in my HDTV, then relaized it was my Voom STB. Spot did not go away until power down and back up. Weirdness...

yup I get that occasionally but you will find it is specific to a particular movie etc. One movie, I for get the name, has the word "City" in the title does it.

This spot was not specific to the movie. It was on all channels and could be seen on component and s-video outputs. I did not get chance to check composite output.

once it appears it stays on until you shut the reciever off. But if you tune back to the movie that caused it it will reappear and stay on. It is specific to a particular broadcast. It creates that white dot and the dot follows you whatever channel or output you are on. I know that after I turn the reciever back on and tune into a different channel the dot wont be there, but if I turn the reciever back on and go back to the same channel it will be there. ANd Ive noticed particular movies that do it, but I havent documented the channels. Someone should do that. I believe "City by the Sea" is one movie that does it.

Pat--

Thanks for the heads up.

White dot followed all channels for me. Off, then on and the white dot was gone. Including the channel that the dot originated on.

MNHTUG said:
Pat--

Thanks for the heads up.

White dot followed all channels for me. Off, then on and the white dot was gone. Including the channel that the dot originated on.

That' s all right the first time I saw it I took my whole screen off..LOL :D

I had the same experience

day before yesterday, white stuck pixles(4X3 mm) in middle of right hand side of plasma screen. Happened twice in two days. Had to turn tv off/on again to get rid of them. Was scared that this is my plasma problem(had just bought this Hitachi 15 days back).

Its great to be online and know that we are not alone. Such a great feeling.

BTW, i called C/S for plasma to come and check(5/24) anyway. Good thing i have bought 3 year warranty.

300z said:
Had to turn tv off/on again to get rid of them. Was scared that this is my plasma problem.
Could you clarify whether you had to turn off the TV set, the STB or both? Because if the stuck pixels were caused by the STB, I doubt they would go away if you only switched the TV set. On the other hand, if the stuck pixels are caused by the TV set itself, switching the STB off and on would not have any effect. Next time you see this, try VOOM-WATCH sequence first, followed by the STB Off/On. See if this helps. If it doesn't could be a TV set problem indeed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)