Live in ND but subscription in NY.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

eugeneg

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
north dakota
I moved to North Dakota but left my subscrition address in New York. I am using an older 18" Sony round dish pointed at 101 west.
I do not get most of the New York channels.
Is there a way for me to pick up the rest of the NY channels that I am missing.
If I use an elliptical dish with multiple lnb's would that help and if so what satellites would I point to.
Thanks for any help you can give.

I moved to North Dakota but left my subscrition address in New York. I am using an older 18" Sony round dish pointed at 101 west.
I do not get most of the New York channels.
Is there a way for me to pick up the rest of the NY channels that I am missing.
If I use an elliptical dish with multiple lnb's would that help and if so what satellites would I point to.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Welcome to the site !

Changing the dish would not help get the locals , it would help getting any sat channels your missing but your NY channels are more than likely on a spot beam and you are no where's near being in that area anymore.

Thank you.
Any suggestions on a dish to use and sats to point at?

I would go with the Slimline either the older that hits the 5 sats or the newer one that hits the 3, the older one would probably give you the best shot.

Have you set up any dishes before ?
Did you point the 18 " you were talking about ?

I did set up the Sony dish and have set up a few free to air dishes. The multiple lnb dishes have been a bit of a pain.

I have a WINC AU2 antenna with 3 LNB's that I was given to use if it would work.

I did set up the Sony dish and have set up a few free to air dishes. The multiple lnb dishes have been a bit of a pain.

I have a WINC AU2 antenna with 3 LNB's that I was given to use if it would work.

Someone else will have to chime in as I don't know the dish by that name, it could be the current one or it could be for something entirely different.

The original 5 lnb set up for D* was the AT-9, followed by the AU-9 then moving to the 3 lnb and then the powered SWM's which are a different cat all together.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, the big four NY channels are on CONUS beams and can be received anywhere in the US. The other NY channels are on spot beams. There is no dish you can use that will get them for you from where you are.

Sorry I should have said WNC AU2.

It is an older dish with 3 lnb's and a builit in multiswitch. It was designed for use with DTV.
A brief description of the specs are as follows:

18.1" x 20.4" Galvanized Steel Dish for DIRECTV Multi-Satellite Applications
Triple Satellite Beam Pointing:101oW, 110oW, 119oW
Built in switching to support 4 independent receivers
Local channel and HDTV capable
Wind Loading:Operational at 50MPH , Survival at 100MPH

Just to clarify, the big four NY channels are on CONUS beams and can be received anywhere in the US. The other NY channels are on spot beams. There is no dish you can use that will get them for you from where you are.

Sorry I should have said WNC AU2.

It is an older dish with 3 lnb's and a builit in multiswitch. It was designed for use with DTV.
A brief description of the specs are as follows:

18.1" x 20.4" Galvanized Steel Dish for DIRECTV Multi-Satellite Applications
Triple Satellite Beam Pointing:101oW, 110oW, 119oW
Built in switching to support 4 independent receivers
Local channel and HDTV capable
Wind Loading:Operational at 50MPH , Survival at 100MPH

Chip,
Is this the old phase 3 dish he's talking about ?
If so, it should work with what he's trying to do, it won't get any HD, but he's not looking for HD I don't think.

If so, it's basically an upgrade from the one you are using currently.
the 18" only gets you the 101 and the phase 3 would get you the 101,110 and 119, however, the majority of the 110 and 119 are not used for much anymore that you'll be wanting, locals that you can't get.
The 101 (18" dish you currently have) will do fine for thew CORE programming.

Thank you.
I am not interested in HD at the present time but may be in the future.

Is there anything on 110 and 119 that would be of interest if I install the slimline 5 lnb dish?

Thank you.

Is there anything on 110 and 119 that would be of interest if I install the slimline 5 lnb dish?

The 5 LNB would give you the ability to get the HD stuff as most of it (mpeg4) is on the 99 and 103. The 5 lnb gets you the 99, 101, 103, 110 and 119.

If you don't need HD I would probably just stick with the 18", if you go to the one your talking about it would give you a larger dish surface giving you potentially better signal during rain .

I'm pretty sure it's a violation of the DIRECTV service agreement to move from NY to NORTH DAKOTA and keep your subscription address in NY.

Why are you doing it anyways ?
:confused:

I'm pretty sure it's a violation of the DIRECTV service agreement to move from NY to NORTH DAKOTA and keep your subscription address in NY.

Well he can keep the conus NY stations that way.
IF he's in an area that doesn't have locals on D* he would be looking for the NY conus stations anyways ........ actually, they would be the LA ones and they recently did away with that option .

Chip,
Is this the old phase 3 dish he's talking about ?
If so, it should work with what he's trying to do, it won't get any HD, but he's not looking for HD I don't think.

If so, it's basically an upgrade from the one you are using currently.
the 18" only gets you the 101 and the phase 3 would get you the 101,110 and 119, however, the majority of the 110 and 119 are not used for much anymore that you'll be wanting, locals that you can't get.
The 101 (18" dish you currently have) will do fine for thew CORE programming.

It sure sounds like the Phase 3.

Thank you.

The dish you have now will get 110 and 119, no need for the Slimline unless you want hd, which is on 99 and 103.

He likely wants those channels, that's why. In fact, he would probably qualify for DNS channels anyway where he is.

119 for SD only has some of those Sonic music channels. I know some markets the SD locals are on 119 and Fargo/GF might be one of them...lemme look

edit: yep..fargo/grand forks SD locals are on 119

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts