Live streaming will soon be irrelevant!

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
Think about it. With all the coronavirus responses we’ve seen so far, what is the reason to keep a Live streaming service subscription going? And this applies to cable/sat also.

Sports have nearly disappeared, new episodes of series that aren’t already in the can won’t be shown, many new shows won’t appear, nor will new seasons of existing shows.

So why pay for reruns? Broadcast channels have already indicated they will start doing reruns of this seasons shows to fill in the space. Late night shows tried to do their thing with no audience, but that hasn’t worked so well.

For us cord cutters the easy solutions are to use Netflix, Prime and Hulu for paid services. We could also start using the free ad-supported services like Pluto, XUMO and others more.

For me, when everything new is finished until the dust settles with the coronavirus reactions, I’ll just save $50 a month by cancelling my live streaming service.

How about you?

Good point. This time of year for sports is iffy for me anyway (well after March madness and college softball and baseball), but with the shows getting varying unscheduled breaks (and other ways to watch them), might be time to go on break from these as well.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
The nice thing about streaming services no contract you can just cancel anytime.
Sports XFL and NHRA I've been watching prior to baseball, guess they may be done too. I'm still entertained with HGTV, Smithsonian channel along with Street Outlaws. The only network show I watch is Last Man Standing.

Think about it. With all the coronavirus responses we’ve seen so far, what is the reason to keep a Live streaming service subscription going? And this applies to cable/sat also.

Sports have nearly disappeared, new episodes of series that aren’t already in the can won’t be shown, many new shows won’t appear, nor will new seasons of existing shows.

So why pay for reruns? Broadcast channels have already indicated they will start doing reruns of this seasons shows to fill in the space. Late night shows tried to do their thing with no audience, but that hasn’t worked so well.

For us cord cutters the easy solutions are to use Netflix, Prime and Hulu for paid services. We could also start using the free ad-supported services like Pluto, XUMO and others more.

For me, when everything new is finished until the dust settles with the coronavirus reactions, I’ll just save $50 a month by cancelling my live streaming service.

How about you?

People like some live TV. News for one. All this is temporary anyway. The virus will be either controlled or gone in time.

Reactions: Zookster
People like some live TV. News for one. All this is temporary anyway. The virus will be either controlled or gone in time.

Sure it is temporary, so are streaming services! :)

Yeah, you could use an antenna in most places and get at least one channel for news.

Sure it is temporary, so are streaming services! :)

Yeah, you could use an antenna in most places and get at least one channel for news.

or CBSN, ABC NEWS Now or NBC News all streaming free of charge.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: lparsons21
I think the underlying question is what will happen in 60-90 days when sports are back and later when the new fall seasons shows resume. What will the new normal be?

I do not see much long term change for individuals. I watch quite a bit of sports and OTA network programs. Prior to this, I started streaming some series when none of the shows or games I'm interested in are on. I dont see my interests changing significantly. I'm not going to watch the Hallmark network because of this. I may watch a couple of Marvel movies I might not have on Disney+, maybe. I have watched a little bit of CNN this past weekend. When sports come back, I'm watching that.

I think that's true for everyone. People's central interest won't change. The types of programming they tend to watch won't change. What may change is how they access these shows.

I'm hard pressed to see the current situation drive the change over to on-demand streaming from linear channels.

Now, there is another factor at play... Economics. Lots of people will be out of work. There will be a move to lower costs as budgets demand it. There will be substantial downward cost pressure. Cost was what drove me to YTTV from DirecTV Now, and DirecTV before that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbo and Zookster
I do believe TV on Demand will be a lot of the entertainment, but there still needs live news, weather, and sports. Viewers want to see that. I like the CBS app as I can watch live news from LA, NY, etc.

I think this will be over soon, its been around since January according to locals and hospital workers where I'm at. Just no testing was available to confirm with many unexplained pneumonia cases locally with negative influenza results so it may have already peaked. We had unusual cases like a family of 4, 2 ending up on ventilators with pneumonia in January with the exact symptoms of Covid19. The H1N1 virus may end up being worse 10 years ago killing 12,469 Americans according to the CDC and it had little fan fair.

Assuming a three-month break in normal programming, I won't have any reason to drop YouTube TV. There are several shows I'm watching whose episodes have been completed and will air as scheduled, and I have a ton of unwatched content in my DVR library. Right now I'm watching a lot of cable news and local news, the latter I have limited access to OTA and certainly no ability to record and fast forward. But if this stretches on into the summer, and I continue to have a limited income, then I could definitely see myself dropping YouTube TV temporarily until things are back on track.

Does anyone know when they start filming (probably no film involved, but OK) shows for the fall season? Just wondering whether the fall season may be delayed.

What about availability of summer replacements? They seem to be unscripted, and lower level of production, so may not require as much lead time.

Does anyone know when they start filming (probably no film involved, but OK) shows for the fall season? Just wondering whether the fall season may be delayed.

What about availability of summer replacements? They seem to be unscripted, and lower level of production, so may not require as much lead time.

It depends on the show. Some short-season shows (8-13 episodes) can film well in advance, working around casts' schedules. Season 5 of The Expanse, on Amazon Prime, finished filming several weeks ago, though it probably wasn't set to return until December 2020. However, I understand Carnival Row, also on Prime, has suspended filming. It was a late August show in 2019. Fargo, on FX, is two episodes shy of finishing its filming for the upcoming season, set to premiere in mid-April. The entire show has now been postponed.

Some scripted network shows may produce shows only a month or two ahead of time. That's why we often get mid-season hiatuses that aren't necessitated by the holidays or special sports programming or awards shows. I only watch scripted shows with decent productions so I can't speak to reality TV and talent competition-type shows.

I think this will be over soon, its been around since January according to locals and hospital workers where I'm at. Just no testing was available to confirm with many unexplained pneumonia cases locally with negative influenza results so it may have already peaked. We had unusual cases like a family of 4, 2 ending up on ventilators with pneumonia in January with the exact symptoms of Covid19. The H1N1 virus may end up being worse 10 years ago killing 12,469 Americans according to the CDC and it had little fan fair.
Government officials are preparing for a curve like the one seen in Italy (and now Spain), with cases and deaths continuing to spike. We are a week or two behind Italy and far from a peak. If we had started testing extensively and taking more preventative measures to limit the spread back in January, then we more likely would be on the other side of this by now. The shutdowns and social distancing are designed to "flatten the curve" so hospitals don't get overwhelmed. Unlike COVID-19, there was actually a vaccine and anti-viral treatments for H1N1. That's what makes COVID-19 so scary and why we are seeing such an unprecedented reaction right now to not stop, but slow down its spread. The fact that it's potentially been in the US since January (as you say) spreading undetected makes it all the more potentially scarier. People have been carrying and spreading this virus exponentially through the entire country since then; those with milder symptoms thinking they just had some run-of-the-mill flu. If current efforts to slow the spread are effective, I agree that we may end up seeing an overall lower death rate for COVID-19 than for H1N1.

Here's a week old chart that shows the prospective curve of number of cases:

1584471382968.png

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell and ncted

Most network primetime shows start filming in late July for a late September premiere. I believe they try to stay 4-6 episodes ahead of air date.

At this point in the season shows would have about 4 episodes left to film.

Not exactly what I call compelling:

"Bereft of games from the National Basketball Association, Major League Soccer and the NCAA due to the coronavirus pandemic, ESPN is considering a variety of options, including repackaging archived games and pushing up the release date for original content to fill the air, Burke Magnus, the network’s programming chief, said in a question-and-answer session with its public-relations department Tuesday."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts