Living in a borderline zip code with choices for locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NASHMAN1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
Sandy, Oregon, United States
My sister who lives in a borderline town that is not too far away from the SF Bay Area Market but gets stations from Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto. Her zip is 95304. Though I went over to Costco and the person who told me that the Local Channels are by the billing address. I would like to ask, if I were to relocate my billing address to a location in the San Francisco Bay Area, would my locals be moved too because my sister and I really don't like Sacramento locals specifically the NBC and MNTV affiliate (The evil empire of TV News) because I can get them OTA via antenna but my sister would like my locals to be in the SF Bay Area because she commutes from the Central Valley to the Bay Area every morning.

its the service address. I just "moved" myself a few days ago and the service address is what is changed on file

I see, she basically doesn't have any choice but to have the #20 market as her locals. But technically her zip isn't 95304, it's 95377. My parents live in 95304. She gets the locals from San Francisco while my parents get the Sacramento locals because of the pull down menu of where you want to set up your locals.

Last edited:
There are some areas of the US where it is like that. The thing is one county gets you Sacramento locals but the county west gets San Fran and some zips actually cross county lines
http://dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Maps/california.gif

The location I "moved" to is the same way. The Mankato/North Mankato area is actually in 3 counties with 3 different sets of locals
one county is just Minneapolis locals
second county is Minneapolis + the actual local for the area (KEYC CBS...) as significant viewed (the one I chose) ;)
third and "main" county of Mankato only gets you KEYC and ABC/NBC/FOX from Minneapolis and national PBS

95304 zip gives you Sac only
95377 depending on the county gives you either one. You say Alameda County its SF/Oak locals, you say San Joaquin county its Sacramento

so the easiest thing to do (for whomever is doing this) is if you want SF locals and your zip is 95377 cal up D* and tell them you are in Alameda County and you should have San Fran locals. Otherwise you need to "move"

OK, I really needed to know this since my sister is on the South corner of Tracy, CA and since she chose the SF/Oak/SJ market I would often visit her house. Plus since she commutes from tracy to the Bay area, she needs to get the traffic reports from the SF Bay area and not Sacramento. My parents live in 95304 in Banta. So basically I have no choice but when I visit my parents, they only get Sacto only.

When I come to Sactown/San Fran from up in Seattle (98532) I would always know that the local cable company would get both Sacto and San Fran locals (Comcast) they would get 2 CBS, 2 ABC, 2 FOX, but only one CW, one NBC and one MNTV. along with KICU 36 (San Jose) and KOFY 20 (San Francisco) (KCRA-p)/(KQCA-p) but I always would like to get to watch KRON (Former NBC now MNTV) and KNTV (My sister's favorite station for news since they carry the SF Giants. It's kinda weird that Comcast doesn't provide KNTV, but only KCRA(p) but that's why my sister got DirecTV for, watching my TV stations from San Fran.

It's kinda weird though that zip codes that border each market can choose which locals to set up but when you live in a bordering zip but doesn't border a different county, your'e stuck with only one local only. But anwyay's thanks for your help.

Last edited:
It's kinda weird though that zip codes that border each market can choose which locals to set up but when you live in a bordering zip but doesn't border a different county, your'e stuck with only one local only. But anwyay's thanks for your help.

Law forces them (dish companies) to enforce it that way.

Another county that's split is Solano County, the eastern portion (Cordelia, Fairfield, Suisun City, Vacaville, Rio Vista) gets the Sacramento stations but the western portions (Vallejo/Benecia) get the SF Bay area stations, the cable stations there especially in the eastern portion get 2 CBS (KPIX/KOVR), 2 ABC (KXTV/KGO), 2 FOX (KTXL/KTVU), 2 MNTV (KRON/KQCA-p) 2 CW (KBCW/KMAX) and gets KICU, KOFY, KTSF, KFTY, but only recieves KCRA(p) as the NBC station and not KNTV which is an NBC O&O. I really can't stand KCRA)p) because of it's braggish news coverage, egotistical talent and their yelling "Where The News Comes First TM" and I really like watching KNTV since I grew up with them when I grew up there a long time ago. I would only watch them since when I'm at my sisters house, I look forward to seeing my favorite KNTV when I visit, so I really do mind when I watch my TV with my sisters house.

Last edited:
OK, I really needed to know this since my sister is on the South corner of Tracy, CA and since she chose the SF/Oak/SJ market I would often visit her house. Plus since she commutes from tracy to the Bay area, she needs to get the traffic reports from the SF Bay area and not Sacramento. My parents live in 95304 in Banta. So basically I have no choice but when I visit my parents, they only get Sacto only.

looking at a map closer technically the whole town of Tracy is in San Joaquin County. You gotta go across 580 pretty far before Alameda County picks up. I think it has to do with the zip. Because it partially covers Alameda County that's why it gives you that popup for county.
Same as the zip I use when I "moved". 56003 is for North Mankato which is Nicollet County but it barely crosses into Blue Earth County (where Mankato is). Nicollet gives you Minneapolis locals (90 miles away) and the local for Mankato (KEYC CBS)...Its ironic that KEYC studios are in this zip yet they are part of the Minneapolis DMA.
Blue Earth only gives you KEYC + the other 3 nets from Minneapolis

Be happy she can choose. Dish they do it different (and in some cases wrong). Dish in the above only gives you the Mankato local + Minneapolis fill in even though the county is in the Mpls DMA. Directv you can technically choose ;)

I like the areas with options like these. I would choose to get the farther of the two DMAs via satellite and put up a quality OTA antenna to pick up the closer for local emergency needs.

looking at a map closer technically the whole town of Tracy is in San Joaquin County. You gotta go across 580 pretty far before Alameda County picks up. I think it has to do with the zip. Because it partially covers Alameda County that's why it gives you that popup for county.
Same as the zip I use when I "moved". 56003 is for North Mankato which is Nicollet County but it barely crosses into Blue Earth County (where Mankato is). Nicollet gives you Minneapolis locals (90 miles away) and the local for Mankato (KEYC CBS)...Its ironic that KEYC studios are in this zip yet they are part of the Minneapolis DMA.
Blue Earth only gives you KEYC + the other 3 nets from Minneapolis

Be happy she can choose. Dish they do it different (and in some cases wrong). Dish in the above only gives you the Mankato local + Minneapolis fill in even though the county is in the Mpls DMA. Directv you can technically choose ;)
Isn't it why they call them Sigificant viewing locals? That's the real beauty of DirecTV's local channels choosing. There are other locations in Tracy that come into play too, the town of Mountain House (American Idol's Thia Megias place), Byron and Banta. Banta technically is a sub-town of Tracy that uses the 95304 zip, but since my sister 95377 lives in a zip code where it's borderline with Alameda County, she can definitely choose because I can tell you, the San Francisco locals have better viewing since the local Tracy cable company (Comcast) provides 2 CBS, 2 ABC and 2 FOX but only 1 NBC. Not to mention the local NBC station in Sacramento (KCRA-p) does not clear all NBC programs, the neighboring station (KNTV San Jose) carries every NBC show since it's a NBC O&O. Plus they carry the Giants and expanded their news coverage into San Joquain County. Since my sister commutes to Santa Clara, the channels where you watch the most are what counts and that's why I freely go to her on an everyday basis to watch all the SF locals and Sac locals (Via OTA Antenna) with the exception of KCRA(p) and KQCA(p). Those two stations are banned from my view because those stations are big shot stations which only care about ratings and big egos from their talents and I really hate that.

I'm happy though of my sister that she made the right choice, (Previously, she was with Douche network 2002-2009) which keeps pulling channels to save a buck but also lose subs as well. I'm kinda happy though she can watch her A's (though struggling, it's still fun) and Sacramento Kings (thankful they did not move to Anaheim) via CSN California along with MLB EI and NFL ST in addition she gets channel 2060 TFC because she watches news from the Phillipines, Dish doesn't get that sadly and will most likely never will. The #1 station she watches is Channel 26 (KTSF) since CMC (California Music Channel) and the Horse Racing show that's on every weekday from 4-5:30 PM. :D

For me, I live in Centralia, WA Lewis County which is part of the Seattle DMA. The county south to us is Cowlitz County (Portland Market) which if you lived in the southern part of Seattle, you can choose between Seattle and Portland. On cable, Comcast provides 2 ABC (KOMO 4 and KATU 2), 2 FOX (KPTV Beaverton, OR and KCPQ Seattle) and 2 NBC (KGW Portland and KING Seattle) but only provides KIRO as the CBS but since I commute to Portland from Centralia, I choose Portland, OR because my job is 2 hrs commute and I need to know the traffic to get down the Interstate Bridge (I-5) to US 26 to get to Beaverton, OR. This fall I'm transferring to Seattle and the locals can be great for me to get OTA via Translator in Lewis County but I would like to keep Portland as my DMA.

Isn't it why they call them Sigificant viewing locals?
sort of.
Mankato only has 2 locals. CBS (KEYC) and Fox subchannel. (4 county DMA) Directv has had Mankato locals up longer than the Fox has been on the air (by about 2 years) so D* subs get Fox Minneapolis (which is better IMO) as the Fox for the market. Dish subs get Fox Mankato (and their 5 hour Jewelry TV runs during the weekend days). Both get ABC & NBC from Minneapolis.

What is funny (again in my opinion) is KEYC studios in North Mankato are actually in the Minneapolis DMA yet the only ones who can get it are the folks in the Mankato area. But D* has a glitch so all Minneapolis subs show "12" in the locals guide but they always get a "not authorized" message (which they should).
I can still get Mankato OTA (72 miles away) but I prefer it on D* because no dropouts ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)