Mar 17, 2005
so I need a new universal KU LNB and found a few
what is the difference between:

a)Sat Radar LNB
b)Fortec Star Universal KU band LNB
c)Universal KU band LNB
D)Funwave Universal LNB

Those were the ones I found ....
my price range is $30 (includes shipping)
I know that the noise figure is inportaint
the lower the better right?

So any suggestions on what LNB to get would be appreciated....

Nathan T.

can I ask why you would need a Universal LNBF?

Other than Cubavision, there really isn't anything else that needs it

and you can't use a signal meter.

Ditto!

Unless you buy a REALLY good universal (INVACOM) then you will get better performance (signal quality) with a standard LNBF.

I have a few Fortec Universals, and some generic Universal, and I have found that they are not all that good. the Generic works better than the Fortecs, but even the generic has the polarization backwards... so I have to rotate it 90 degrees... :rolleyes:

well, I guess I dont need a universal...
I dont need cubavision and dont plan to use a meter...
so the ASC321S is the one to get???

great!
thanks so much for all your help!
I hope to be letting ya'll know the good newws when I get my system FINALY hooked up!

I would highly recommend a meter.. Their dirt cheap for the little ones, and will save you ALOT of headaches..

The universals make it difficult to use a meter, unless you set your STB to inject 22kHz all the time, because the LNBF will default to the low band (which wont help you find anything) I kept running into this with my setup, where the meter would show nearly nothing, and then all of the sudden jump up to off the scale when I enable 22kHz inject.

I would recommend a Standard LNBF and a cheap meter.

This is the meter I have, and I think its worth its weight in gold. :) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67882&item=5767327254&rd=1

If you can get one with 22kHz Inject, and self powered (like a SatBuddy or something like it) then I would go with that, but those are more expensive.

what????
so that 6$ meter would be a good investment, but it wont work with a standard LNBF?????

Yes, it will definately work with Standard LNBFs.. Its Universals that it has a problem with, since they default to the low band, which isnt really used in the US. So, meters without 22kHz inject are pretty much useless with universals, unless you set the recever to do the 22kHz. (and remember to do it each time ;) )

since I am located so far north do I need to get a LNBF with a very low noise figure or will a 0.5 work???

nthompson711 said:
what????
so that 6$ meter would be a good investment, but it wont work with a standard LNBF?????

I found it pretty useless - I did buy one - I ended up using the quality meter on my receiver to find teh birds - much more reliable and if oyur set up is good takes no time.

The $6 meter helped me find my first satellite when I was getting started and was even more clueless than I am now. :) But a week or two, I got the hang of repointing the dish using the receiver for feedback, and I haven't used the $6 meter since.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)