LNB interchangeability

jrh69ca

Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Dunwoody, GA
Are LNBs interchangeable between Dishnetwork and DirectTV? I have Dishnetwork and i trying to use my old DirectTV dish/LNB to site 61.5. I get a signal when connected to a single Dishnetwork receiver. The screen states something like congradulations you have setup satellite 61.5... But when I connect it to port 3 on my DP44 and run "test switch", the switch doesn't see 61.5....

With a DPP44 it will not work the D* is LEGACY and DPP is Dish Pro Plus, incompatible components.

Last edited:
that's what i said - it will work on a legacy setup but not a DPP setup - on a legacy setup such as sw-64 switch and legacy lnb's that would eliminate the dpp44 because it's not legacy

DP & DPP switches and lnb's are compatible but neither are compatble with legacy switches and lnb's

Y'all are confusing him. :)

You will need to use a DishPro (DP) LNBF on an 18" dish.

I know Boba knows the correct answer to this...

"Will a Dish Network DP LNBF work on the DirecTV 18" dish and what needs to be done?

your right smity that would be the simple solution - and i didn't mean to confuse anyone

a directtv dish tube where the lnb mounts is rectangular shape and a dish network dish tube is d shaped

I'm sure you didn't confuse them. But you're right about the tubes. I've read here somewhere that it will work going one way but not the other. I think the DP D shape will go over the rectangle tube, but the rectangle LNBF will not go over the D tube.

I don't remember if you need the single LNBF bracket or not. But Boba and a few others have that info on the top of their heads.

Me, I just go out and make adjustments because I like to experiment in my old age. :D

actually the rectangular lnb from D* will fit inside the D shaped tube of E* but not the other way around

the D shaped tube from E* is a little larger than D* rectangular lnb mount - so the rectangular lnb will fit loosely inside the D shaped tube untill tightening the mount bolt - then it's fairly snug

I seen a post many months ago from Boba, looks like DirecTV used 2 styles of 18" dishes, one with a Rectangle Tube and one with a D Tube. ALthough the DP LNBF will work on the DTV D Tube, the Rectangle Tube will need to be modified to use the DP LNBF.

I see the OP has several (technical) post in this forum.

That said, and assuming he can get 129 in CA, or 148 for non-HD channels, maybe he should consider the following:

(1) Peak the SuperDish for 110 & 119; then purchase a Dish 300 with DP Dual for either 61.5, 129, or 148.

(2) Get a Repoint Kit for the SuperDish which will give him 110/118.7/119, and add the 110 LNBF from the SuperDish for 129.

(3) Get a Dish 500 w/DP Twin for 110/119. Then reposition the SD-121 for either 61.5, 129, or 148, depending on what he is trying to receive.

In the early days of DBS Kaultronics made 18" dishes for both Directv and DISH. The only difference was the logos painted on the face of the dish both had "D" tubes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)