LNB or not LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

quasimodem

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Marlow, New Hampshire
I posted earlier about a Primestar dish I installed. I never got any quality from any sats I set up for.
Before I raised the dish 4 feet with an extension to the mast, I lifted the dish off and set it on the ridge of my roof...installed the extension, and as I was putting the dish back the coax came loose and slid out of the arm. It blew out one side of the 4:1 switch it was attached to and now even my signal strength isn't what it was...
I'm assuming that the lnb must've taken a hit at this time also....can some one confirm that this is probably what happened?
thanks~Q

It's easy to blow out DisEqC switch ports by connecting/disconnecting them with receiver power applied. LNBs should be a little more resilient, but it's possible to blow them up, too, in this manner. It's always good to turn off the receiver when working on these.

I've dropped LNB's off my roof onto the deck all the time....havent had one go bad yet

now Diseqc switches......thats a different story :)

I've dropped LNB's off my roof onto the deck all the time....havent had one go bad yet

now Diseqc switches......thats a different story :)

so, you're saying that it's possible that this lnb is still ok?
I'm pretty sure the coax came apart before it slid out of the arm...I'm thinking it must've shorted the lnb out...just a guess tho'

(I get better quality for 123w. with my 20" dish that's pointed at 110/119 and has a circular lnb...)

LNBs are usually the last thing to go out... I don't recall ever having one actually be the culprit in any problem, and many of the ones I have are VERY old and have been through hell. Its probable that the LNB is still okay, but you should definitely check your cable and any fittings for shorts. Just one strand of shielding being in contact with the center conductor can mess everything up. Also, as Iceberg pointed out, any switches are definite suspects.

I'm assuming that the lnb must've taken a hit at this time also....can some one confirm that this is probably what happened?
thanks~Q

I don't see how your LNBF got hit? If it did, it probably bent the LNBF arm, or warped the dish itself, causing the signal to go out of focus. That can ruin a good signal and most of the time will make it impossible to lock on a signal.

Are you seeing anything on the signal bar? If you do, the LNBF is fine. Just check the Arm and dish itself.

All the above information is good. I just wanted to add my two-cents worth. To "take out" the LNB by having the coax drop out (pull loose) is extremely unlikely. Once the coax has separated (to fall off the assembly) it has been disconnected from the power source (the receiver) and there's nothing left to let the smoke out of the LNB. It will surprise me to no end if the LNB was damaged (unless the LNB's connector pulled out of the LNB itself).:eek:

Hope you get it all back together & working again..........................Bill:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts