LNB Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tutermoe123

Original poster
Jul 15, 2015
TN
I have a slim line dish with the 5LNB currently, what new LNB can i put on this dish so I can drop Sat 119, every summer I have guide issues when the leaves come in, I understand with a newer LNB I dont need Sat 119, so which LNB will work on this dish? Thanks

I don't think that the guide data comes from the 119 anymore so that won't fix anything. Can someone tell us if I am right?

I think it still depends on the generation of the set up.

I believe the SWM set up comes off the 101, if your interested in upgrading to the SWM.

:welcome to Satelliteguys tutermoe123!

If you get a 3lnb you will get the guide data from 101 and eliminate the issue of leaves blocking your line of sight. You will lose your local sd channels, if that matters to you.

assuming you are using 8 tuners or less.
DVRs = 2 tuners, HD or SD non-dvr = 1.

If you have more than 8 tuners you use a different set up, no big deal.

I have more than 8 tuners and still use a SWM set up.

If he has more than 8 tuners he uses the old LNB and the correct Multi Switch.
You still use a SWM PI.

Number of recvrs/tuners has not been addressed as of yet.

Go into the setup menu and select the slimline SL3 option which I believe is option 17 if you have a SWM setup.

Your receiver will ignore satellite 119 and 110.

If you have a legacy setup, just select the 3 LNB version in the menu.

Go into the setup menu and select the slimline SL3 option which I believe is option 17 if you have a SWM setup.

Your receiver will ignore satellite 119 and 110.

If you have a legacy setup, just select the 3 LNB version in the menu.

That won't work Claude.

Correct, it won't help' If the system is SWM, the guide data is already coming from 101 only. If it's a legacy LNB, telling the receiver it's a 3LNB will do nothing. It's an installer "urban legend". The 3LNB and 5lnb are electrically different. With a 5LNB, when you are tuned to a channel from 103/119, the guide data comes from 119. If you tell the receiver it's a 3LNB, and then tune to a 103/119 transponder, there is no guide data at all.

I have a slim line dish with the 5LNB currently, what new LNB can i put on this dish so I can drop Sat 119, every summer I have guide issues when the leaves come in, I understand with a newer LNB I dont need Sat 119, so which LNB will work on this dish? Thanks
Your "needs" are not determined by the LNB type but rather the programing that you subscribed to.

His needs, as in what lnb he needs to get service, are also determined by los, which he clearly said has restrictions to the 119 satellite.

Claude, I am absolutely certain that if you have an SL5 non-swm, and no SWM multiswitch, you CANNOT solve the guide data issue by telling the receiver it's an SL3. Go back and read my post. It's all tied up with the DirecTV stack plan.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)