More than one Genie box

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why? It doesn't matter what other reason they might have. Since even if you buy a 2nd one they won't activate it, you are just tilting at the D* windmill!! :)

The way it looks now, any new customer with five or mo' TVs should look at Dish.
Not sure I agree with this.

We have a five-plus-year-old HD DVR with two tuners and kept it after upgrading more than a year ago to the Genie DVR (with one wireless mini). We have a total of 7 potential tuners to use.

In other words, we could lease an additional 4 minis and be able to watch across 6 televisions (albeit not all at the same time, given the logistical constraints of the minis, per se).

However, one could add as many receivers (and therefore TVs) as the SWiM that's the hub of the system will allow.

The SWiM device and the Genie DVR are mutually exclusive devices in terms of constraining the number of TVs allowed in a system. Of course, the Genie DVR does need a SWiM system to operate, but the SWiM doesn't require a Genie DVR to operate. Since it's a separate topological device, a SWiM is capable of handling older and newer tuners.

i believe he's referring to the fact for new customers, D* will only give you a genie and 3 mini's free, you have to pay for any recievers beyond that.

Reactions: lparsons21
true, but statistically, most households do not have more than 4 tvs being installed. So this isnt that bad, and we can get mail in rebates on 1 H25 for a 5th tv, or free wireless/genie go, or half price combo. but after that your pretty much out of pocket.

Not sure I agree with this.

We have a five-plus-year-old HD DVR with two tuners and kept it after upgrading more than a year ago to the Genie DVR (with one wireless mini). We have a total of 7 potential tuners to use.

In other words, we could lease an additional 4 minis and be able to watch across 6 televisions (albeit not all at the same time, given the logistical constraints of the minis, per se).

However, one could add as many receivers (and therefore TVs) as the SWiM that's the hub of the system will allow.

The SWiM device and the Genie DVR are mutually exclusive devices in terms of constraining the number of TVs allowed in a system. Of course, the Genie DVR does need a SWiM system to operate, but the SWiM doesn't require a Genie DVR to operate. Since it's a separate topological device, a SWiM is capable of handling older and newer tuners.
New equipment! An HR24 at five year old is ancient in this fast moving tech world.

Really, would you be a happy camper trying to buy a fleet of vehicles and be told you can only have one new one. That all the rest must be used.

true, but statistically, most households do not have more than 4 tvs being installed. So this isnt that bad, and we can get mail in rebates on 1 H25 for a 5th tv, or free wireless/genie go, or half price combo. but after that your pretty much out of pocket.
Except when those four also want to record as well as watch a live show.

New equipment! An HR24 at five year old is ancient in this fast moving tech world.

Really, would you be a happy camper trying to buy a fleet of vehicles and be told you can only have one new one. That all the rest must be used.
That said, I would take a HR24 over many others models.
I would STILL take my ole HR20 over any of the newer at the time 21,22 and 23's.

The minis can't tell one Genie server from the other.
technically, maybe. Once a mini is paired with a server, it will remain pair UNTIL there is a complete power loss. At that time, a mini will air to the first available server. But the biggest reason for not allowing two Genies have to do with billing......

technically, maybe. Once a mini is paired with a server, it will remain pair UNTIL there is a complete power loss. At that time, a mini will air to the first available server. But the biggest reason for not allowing two Genies have to do with billing......
That's it, many of suffer weather related blackouts quite often. I don't see the concern, except if the Genie can't tell when it is full.

That's it, many of suffer weather related blackouts quite often. I don't see the concern, except if the Genie can't tell when it is full.
they can't. But for DIRECTV® as of right now, that is not their concern, the biggest show stopper is billing. Until they get that corrected, it makes no sense to try to fix the "pairing" issue.

Except when those four also want to record as well as watch a live show.

That said, I would take a HR24 over many others models.
I would STILL take my ole HR20 over any of the newer at the time 21,22 and 23's.

I have 9 TVs. I also have 6 HD/DVRs (4 HR20s, 2 R22s w/AM21s running as HD/DVRs) as well as D12s. OTA is the only way I can get MeTV, Bounce, Grit, MyNetworkTV, & CW. I have an 86yr old adult, a t'ween boy, a teen girl, the wife and me. We all have different tastes & record different shows. A genie would not cut it if we could only have one so I am happy with my setup. 8yrs in and I am on the plus side of my investment compared to cable for that many HD/DVRs & have far more HD channels as well.

I have 9 TVs. I also have 6 HD/DVRs (4 HR20s, 2 R22s w/AM21s running as HD/DVRs) as well as D12s. OTA is the only way I can get MeTV, Bounce, Grit, MyNetworkTV, & CW. I have an 86yr old adult, a t'ween boy, a teen girl, the wife and me. We all have different tastes & record different shows. A genie would not cut it if we could only have one so I am happy with my setup. 8yrs in and I am on the plus side of my investment compared to cable for that many HD/DVRs & have far more HD channels as well.
Again I say the words average and statistically... I personally have 16 tuners with 6 tvs. There are always going to be large families that have a need for more complex installs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

For me, Dish was the best answer. 4 TV's, 6 tuners, and most my recording comes from the locals which will only use one tuner for all four major channels. That is 9 shows, plus the OTA tuner I use, gives me my tenth tuner, to record or watch with. I also love the AutoHop, and the DishAnywhere access to watch my DVR, and transfer any of my recordings to any of my mobile devices. Only thing DTV would offer me, was $30 more per month for the same plan, and less features...but I would get the Sunday Ticket(I am a full time student and am doing homework throughout the weekend, so if I am able to catch one game, I am happy. ST not that important to me). Channel take downs also do not bother me, as I have hundreds of other channels to watch. I like DTV, and if I left Dish, they would be my runner up, but just cannot do it for me as far as my provider currently. If they decide to take technological innovation serious, maybe someday I will be a fan.... until then, they can sit in line with cable.

It could be because of a DECA (based on MoCA 1.0) bandwidth limitation. AT Dish, VP of Tech stated they will not allow both a 2nd Hopper AND a Super Joey (only a 2nd Hopper OR a Super Joey allowed) because the MoCA 1.0 bandwidth limitaion won't support it. While it seems that MoCA 1.0 might support both a 2nd Hopper AND a Super Joey, it has been suggested by those inside Dish that they have other plans for whatever bandwidth is still left with 2 Hopper installs or 1 Hopper and 1 Super Joey. One has to wonder if DTV also has plans for the leftover DECA bandwidth. I hope both DTV and Dish implement MoCA 2.0/DECA 2.0 infuture equipment. That could open new possibilities.

Status
Please reply by conversation.