Local ABC HD in San Angelo missing?

olfenite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
I'm trying to figure this out for a friend, so I don't have all the information, so hear me out.

My friend lives in the San Angelo,TX viewing area. They don't have an ABC affiliate there, but KTXE shows what is on Abilene, TX ABC.

San Angelo recently got their HD locals through Dish, but ABC doesn't show up as HD. Makes sense, it isn't on the uplink list. However, when you go to Dish's local channels section and input a San Angelo zip code (like 76904), it shows that KTXE is HD on channel 5270.

Any information on why Dish's website would show that the station is available even though it isn't?

Thank you.

I have the exact same issue and Dish is basically plugging its ears and humming loudly. I've called in numerous times and played CSR roulette without any ground given.

Basically their final answer is, "That HD channels are not available in your area."

They will immediately ignore the argument that because you are getting the SD channel as a LIL because of STELA, you do have a right to the HD version.

I've come to the impression that because it effects a relatively small amount of people, they'd rather ignore the issue for now then do anything about it.

Initially they argued that the FCC would not allow it (which they will as the FCC doesn't distinguish between SD and HD sources being allowed to my zip code.) It would take me on average 30 minutes to finally get the current CSR to acknowledge that the HD channel in the neighboring DMA was in fact the same channel I was receiving in SD.

Then they argued that I did not have the proper install, but I do (EA + wing for my particular situation.) It would usually take a few supervisor escalations before they'd admit that I can in fact receive the neighboring HD local channel with my equipment.

Finally, the'd just say, "There is nothing we can do" which is a total lie as it is fully an issue with their policies and not an insurmountable legal or technical issue.

My guess is that it comes down to a system/space issue. They don't have the space to duplicate the channel so that it would have its own place in my DMA grouping and don't have the system set up so that I could just get the channel by them turning on the signal from the nearby DMA grouping.

In the end, they have put me on ignore and I don't think this issue will be resolved anytime soon...

I've also shot off emails to ceo@echostar.com and dishquality@echostar.com without response.

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick replies.

Man, that's crazy. I would find that all acceptable, although incredibly stupid, if Dish didn't advertise on their own website that KTXE is available in HD on channel 5270. It is downright false advertisement if you ask me.

I live in San Angelo and I am not sure why they have KTXE listed as an HD channel, but I do know that the San Angelo (KTXE) tower that transmits the repeat signal from Abilene (KTXS) has a low power analog transmitter. I may be wrong but I believe that dish picks up the station's OTA signal then feeds it through their system to your box. If this is correct then there is no ABC HD signal to get from the KTXE tower. If they were able to pick up the KTXS OTA signal from Abilene then that would be something! I have emailed the engineer at KTXS and he said they do have a construction permit for the San Angelo tower however they have no immediate plans to make a digital switch. The permit is good for like 2 more years or something.

I was hoping it would be easy for them to give us the Abilene ABC signal but I believe they are on 61.5 spotbeam 17 which we don't get with western arch 110 119 or 129.

Have AT200, not getting all HD channels

DirecTV to Offer Sunday NFL Ticket to Non-Subscribers Online

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)