local channel pixelation problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ncdtv1

Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
NC
hello all,

I live in rural America 40 miles outside Wilmington NC. I am hoping one of you board veterans can help me out. i just made the jump to directv and seem to have an issue that directv cannot figure out.

the system installed is a single dish slimline with the new swm single line lnb running to a 4 way splitter that has a power booster set up inside by the HR22. 4 receivers total.

my problem is with reception on local channels. They pixelate on all receivers simultaneously. It is sporadic and annoying. I called tech and he checked the signal strength for the local channel satellite (i forget either 99 or 103)and nothing was below 85.

They are using the old existing cable for the connections from the splitter to the receivers but have replaced the connectors. They have checked the satellite position, and even replaced the 5 lnb with a 3 lnb.

Still same issue. Local channels pixelate intermittently. very irritating. The other channels all look fine 200's, 300's, 500's all OK. One other thing, when I select "show SD duplicates" they never come up.

That is all. Any help/comments/suggestions welcomed.
:confused:

Double check your signal strengths when you see the pixelation.

What list have you selected to show when you select the guide?

If you set up one of the favorites to not show SD duplicates and then later turn Show dups on, you have to add them to that favorite list. It's been a while, but I think that's the way it works.

Local channel pixelation

the signal strength on 103 is the same. i did notice that transponder "5" is at 0. it was also 0 the other time i checked as well.

on the duplicate SD channels I selected ALL CHANNELS and still no duplicates. I am thinking that this is somehow related to the issue, but just a novice guess.

Anyone else not get duplicate SD channels when they are selected in the menu options?

I'm also having a problem with my locals here in Buffalo, NY. According to the channel map, WGRZ is on 99 transponder 21. I check my signal, and it's consistently 95+. The install is fairly recent, and brand new cabling was run for the install.

Occasionally, the signal for WGRZ will completely fall apart...macroblocking, total audio loss, and it's impossible to watch. This even occurs with perfectly clear skies.

I have a pair of HR22's, and both of them exhibit the same issues with WGRZ, and occasionally with my other locals (WKBW and WIVB), but never as severely as WGRZ. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to begin troubleshooting?

Chris

update, directv mastec finally sent out a "senior tech" and he was able to figure out that the silver H20 receivers that were previously installed were NOT SWM compatible, so he replaced them with black H21 and H23 units. Units look better.

As for the pixelation he indicated that others with SMW single dish were also having pixelation problems on locals and that DTV was working the issue. I was skeptical after all the other visits that did not resove my issue but it now appears resolved.

Now to place a call into DTV CS to ask why I was put on service coverage insurance without requesting it.???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)