Local Channel question

buckwheat

Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
I currently have Comcast cable but I would like to switch to Voom due to the low HD channel count with the Cable. My question is that when you are flipping through the channels can you see the local channels without hitting any combination of buttons to turn off he dish. Example say local channel is 4 can you flip from 4 to a voom channel by hitting the channel up button or do you have to click another button to switch te dish off or bypass it?

Welcome to the forum buckwheat!
Yes OTA channels are integrated with satellite channels. OTA channels are below 100 and satellite channels start with 100. On the same scale: you simply press Channel Up/Down, nothing else needed.

Program Guide is integrated too. If you select "Sports", for example, it will show you all sports OTA and satellite!

Thanks for the quick reply. I always wondered why the dishes didn't incorporate this into the system. Now I am going to have to test my receptions on the locals prior to switching.

buckwheat said:
I always wondered why the dishes didn't incorporate this into the system.
Dish and Direct have been incorporating this into they're systems for last few years. Only VOOM uses an ota antenna, while the other two broadcast your locals via the satellite. Only dish as far as I know simulcast your locals. For example if you want to watch channel 4 your would just hit 4 on your remote or go to like channel 8804 for example. The reason for the 8,000 channel is due to the fact that the older receivers don't have the mapping technology that the new receivers including voom has so in order for a customer to receive the channel it has to be somewhere in the lineup.

"buckwheat, check antennaweb.org and this will...

buckwheat said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I always wondered why the dishes didn't incorporate this into the system. Now I am going to have to test my receptions on the locals prior to switching.

help you determine what OTAs you are likely to get with a VOOM OTA antenna.

Lookout Seattle rain headed our way but still enjoying HDTV, Gill

buckwheat

buckwheat said:
I currently have Comcast cable but I would like to switch to Voom due to the low HD channel count with the Cable. My question is that when you are flipping through the channels can you see the local channels without hitting any combination of buttons to turn off he dish. Example say local channel is 4 can you flip from 4 to a voom channel by hitting the channel up button or do you have to click another button to switch te dish off or bypass it?
It won't pick up any analog locals (NTSC). Only the digital locals (ATSC). And only if they are available and recievable in your area (OTA).

danielle_s said:
Dish and Direct have been incorporating this into they're systems for last few years. Only VOOM uses an ota antenna, while the other two broadcast your locals via the satellite.
However, they do not broadcast the HD feeds via the satellite, do they? Don't you still need OTA to get HD locals with the other providers as well? (I'm asking the question - Voom is the only satellite provider I've ever had, so I don't know for a fact)

scottie_h said:
However, they do not broadcast the HD feeds via the satellite, do they? Don't you still need OTA to get HD locals with the other providers as well? (I'm asking the question - Voom is the only satellite provider I've ever had, so I don't know for a fact)

Yeah Scotty, you're correct. Unless located in NY or LA, you'll only get SD Locals through satellite with E* or D*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)