Local Channels on An SD TV

R

rollerfink

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 1, 2004
Detroit
I'm super happy with the PQ of my locals now. But I have a question.

My upstairs TV is an SD 4x3 TV. The locals come in but they are squished so that there are black bars on the sides but none on the tops. I tried playing with the various stretch, squeeze settings but it doesn't change. Any ideas?

I could always split the antenna cable and feed the cable directly to my TV to pick up the analog locals I guess (I feed the TV an S video cable from the Voom STB so the cable input is free).

BFG

BFG

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 2, 2004
Orlando
I don't have voom but im pretty sure with this as is with most other recievers that you'll need to change the settings to output the correct dimensions for a 4:3 TV, what it's doing now is outputing dimensions for a 16x9 tv

R

rollerfink

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 1, 2004
Detroit
BFG said:
I don't have voom but im pretty sure with this as is with most other recievers that you'll need to change the settings to output the correct dimensions for a 4:3 TV, what it's doing now is outputing dimensions for a 16x9 tv

That';s what I think too but I don't see how to do it on the Voom box.

S

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
rollerfink said:
I'm super happy with the PQ of my locals now. But I have a question.

My upstairs TV is an SD 4x3 TV. The locals come in but they are squished so that there are black bars on the sides but none on the tops. I tried playing with the various stretch, squeeze settings but it doesn't change. Any ideas?

I could always split the antenna cable and feed the cable directly to my TV to pick up the analog locals I guess (I feed the TV an S video cable from the Voom STB so the cable input is free).

I do not understand. I have my Picture Format set to "Pillar Box" and "LetterBox" it will show 4:3 material as 4:3. Is this what you mean?

R

rollerfink

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 1, 2004
Detroit
Sean Mota said:
I do not understand. I have my Picture Format set to "Pillar Box" and "LetterBox" it will show 4:3 material as 4:3. Is this what you mean?

That works fine for all the regular channels but when the locals are not broadcasting HD it has the bars on the sides -- which is fine on a 16x9 but on my second TV (4x3) the bars are still on the side so it is squished.

S

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
rollerfink said:
That works fine for all the regular channels but when the locals are not broadcasting HD it has the bars on the sides -- which is fine on a 16x9 but on my second TV (4x3) the bars are still on the side so it is squished.

I see. I do not know if this stb will accomplish this without showing the black bars or stretching the picture for a 4x3 TV.

M

Mr. Biggles

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2004
Your OTA digitals 'lock' the aspect ratio as 16:9 and show 4:3 with the bars on the sides regardless of the aspect ratio of the TV being used.

Bill

R

rollerfink

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 1, 2004
Detroit
Thanks guys. If it bugs me too much I'll try splitting the antenna cable and running one directly to the TV.