Local Channels on An SD TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rollerfink

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Detroit
I'm super happy with the PQ of my locals now. But I have a question.

My upstairs TV is an SD 4x3 TV. The locals come in but they are squished so that there are black bars on the sides but none on the tops. I tried playing with the various stretch, squeeze settings but it doesn't change. Any ideas?

I could always split the antenna cable and feed the cable directly to my TV to pick up the analog locals I guess (I feed the TV an S video cable from the Voom STB so the cable input is free).

I don't have voom but im pretty sure with this as is with most other recievers that you'll need to change the settings to output the correct dimensions for a 4:3 TV, what it's doing now is outputing dimensions for a 16x9 tv

BFG said:
I don't have voom but im pretty sure with this as is with most other recievers that you'll need to change the settings to output the correct dimensions for a 4:3 TV, what it's doing now is outputing dimensions for a 16x9 tv

That';s what I think too but I don't see how to do it on the Voom box.

rollerfink said:
I'm super happy with the PQ of my locals now. But I have a question.

My upstairs TV is an SD 4x3 TV. The locals come in but they are squished so that there are black bars on the sides but none on the tops. I tried playing with the various stretch, squeeze settings but it doesn't change. Any ideas?

I could always split the antenna cable and feed the cable directly to my TV to pick up the analog locals I guess (I feed the TV an S video cable from the Voom STB so the cable input is free).

I do not understand. I have my Picture Format set to "Pillar Box" and "LetterBox" it will show 4:3 material as 4:3. Is this what you mean?

Sean Mota said:
I do not understand. I have my Picture Format set to "Pillar Box" and "LetterBox" it will show 4:3 material as 4:3. Is this what you mean?

That works fine for all the regular channels but when the locals are not broadcasting HD it has the bars on the sides -- which is fine on a 16x9 but on my second TV (4x3) the bars are still on the side so it is squished.

rollerfink said:
That works fine for all the regular channels but when the locals are not broadcasting HD it has the bars on the sides -- which is fine on a 16x9 but on my second TV (4x3) the bars are still on the side so it is squished.

I see. I do not know if this stb will accomplish this without showing the black bars or stretching the picture for a 4x3 TV.

Your OTA digitals 'lock' the aspect ratio as 16:9 and show 4:3 with the bars on the sides regardless of the aspect ratio of the TV being used.

Bill

Thanks guys. If it bugs me too much I'll try splitting the antenna cable and running one directly to the TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts