Local Dish retailer says new Hopper OTA adapter to be released January 24

Are they waiting for the software to be downloaded to the receivers?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

No, it works just like the old one with the current software. The new software that will add the second OTA tuner functionality for the new adapter is supposed to come out around May.

Reactions: bspei
Is there a consensus that ViP's have better OTA tuners than Hopper dongles? If that's the case, I might keep my 211 and forget about upgrading to a Wally...
As I said in my earlier post, I have the HWS. With that receiver there is no way to add channels once you have done a scan and saved those channels. If you have channels from another direction that are not picked up, there is no way to add those channels later after changing the antenna's direction. That interface really sucks!

If your 211 allows you to add channels, and that is something that you need to do, you might want to keep your 211. Also, as I said, I can receive twice as many channels with my TV tuner vs my HWS/dongle. However, I live in a fringe area, and maybe my TV has a good tuner?

I don't have the new Hopper, so I don't know if the new Hopper has a better OTA interface than my HWS.

Well, the dual-tuner ota adapter is now available on eBay at quite a premium, makes the dishdepot price look not so bad:

NEW Dish OTA Dual Tuner USB Adapter for Hopper/Wally

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dish-OT...1aa6ca5&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=172495759548

US $86.00

I think I'll wait for mydish.com, but at least it should cause the old single tuner adapter to drop from its sky-high prices. Now I just need to find out if the new dual-tuner works with the VIP211Z.

Reactions: charlesrshell
We all know the ViP units are better at OTA than those Hoppers with USB dongle.
I have to somewhat disagree with this. I remember being able to get more OTA stations consistently with the original Hopper OTA adapter than I get consistently with my ViP211k. (I have tried multiple ViP211k's with similar results.) The only problem with the Hopper is that I have to do a scan when all of the channels are coming in, or it will delete the ones it doesn't find. With the ViP211k (or any other ViP receiver with OTA) I can do multiple scans at different times to add any additional channels, or add additional channels manually without having to do a full scan.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I have to somewhat disagree with this. I remember being able to get more OTA stations consistently with the original Hopper OTA adapter than I get consistently with my ViP211k. (I have tried multiple ViP211k's with similar results.) The only problem with the Hopper is that I have to do a scan when all of the channels are coming in, or it will delete the ones it doesn't find. With the ViP211k (or any other ViP receiver with OTA) I can do multiple scans at different times to add any additional channels, or add additional channels manually without having to do a full scan.
I agree on that for sure. my HWS adapter gives me all the ota stations at a much stronger signal than the 211k. the scanning added ota channel is a pain too. I don't know if that has changed with Hopper3?

Well, the dual-tuner ota adapter is now available on eBay at quite a premium, makes the dishdepot price look not so bad:

NEW Dish OTA Dual Tuner USB Adapter for Hopper/Wally

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dish-OTA-Dual-Tuner-USB-Adapter-for-Hopper-Wally/112282774572?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=20131003132420&meid=5f88f7506eb54d7a817f71d121aa6ca5&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=172495759548

US $86.00

I think I'll wait for mydish.com, but at least it should cause the old single tuner adapter to drop from its sky-high prices. Now I just need to find out if the new dual-tuner works with the VIP211Z.

That's a DISH Regional Service Provider named Intertech out of Lockport NY that is selling those. They're the people who drive the DISH trucks and come to your house in the NE US and do your DISH service, fix your Samsung washer, and try to sell you screen cleaner, surge suppressors and assorted other 'things'.

Do those companies (in Ohio, a company called Digital Dish does almost all Dish work) 'own' the equipment that they install ? I presumed they are just supplied with it by Dish and as they install it, Dish knows either by the equipment being activated or the company tells what was used (dish, LNB, etc).

I said something was up when Dish Depot raised the price and it's still not for sale by Dish. Now this company is selling them at an even higher price.

Do those companies (in Ohio, a company called Digital Dish does almost all Dish work) 'own' the equipment that they install ? I presumed they are just supplied with it by Dish and as they install it, Dish knows either by the equipment being activated or the company tells what was used (dish, LNB, etc).

I said something was up when Dish Depot raised the price and it's still not for sale by Dish. Now this company is selling them at an even higher price.

I don't know for sure how the equipment is disbursed to the RSP's but in the case of retailers we buy the equipment and DISH reimburses us after the equipment is deployed. Our distributor and probably DISH as well charges for every remote, connector, dish, lnb, receiver, everything. Everything is bought and paid for by us up front, and it ain't cheap. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts