Local Fox channel guide data wrong.

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Slaton, Texas
I have an H3 and a Joey 2.0. For over a year now the guide data on FOX 34-1 KJTV in Lubbock TX has been wrong (Photo below).

It should be the same as the guide data for 34-0 (which is correct), instead it is the same as 34-2 which is KJTV's weather channel.Of course this means that I cannot record the Super Bowl tomorrow on 34-1 (OTA) so I will record it on 34-0 (using PTAT).

If someone from Dish is monitoring this thread, please look into why this station's main OTA channel 34-1 is getting the wrong data for the guide.

FOX 34 Guide on Dish.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
There's another thread about the Super Bowl that suggested setting up a manual timer for the OTA channel. I'd give that a try.

I have an H3 and a Joey 2.0. For over a year now the guide data on FOX 34-1 KJTV in Lubbock TX has been wrong (Photo below).

It should be the same as the guide data for 34-0 (which is correct), instead it is the same as 34-2 which is KJTV's weather channel.Of course this means that I cannot record the Super Bowl tomorrow on 34-1 (OTA) so I will record it on 34-0 (using PTAT).

If someone from Dish is monitoring this thread, please look into why this station's main OTA channel 34-1 is getting the wrong data for the guide.

View attachment 143128
Hey, Jim5506. We definitely understand how frustrating that kind of experience can be. Unfortunately, DISH does not control what guide information you receive for an OTA channel as that is controlled by the channel owner.

• Haha
Reactions: dennispap
Hey, Jim5506. We definitely understand how frustrating that kind of experience can be. Unfortunately, DISH does not control what guide information you receive for an OTA channel as that is controlled by the channel owner.
Please don't lie. We know Dish doesn't use PSIP data (that is freely available in the OTA signal) to fill in the guide for OTA stations. Instead, they send their own data. That's why many subchannels OTA don't have guide information. And, since the correct information is on the station's programming page as well as TV Guide, that means Dish has something mapped wrong. The fact Dish has it right for the satellite delivered channel means the information was handed over to Dish correctly.

....and it's not only sub channels. The OTA guide info for the NBC affiliate in my market, Spokane, has had nothing but "KHQ-HD" on channel 006-01 for at least the past six years.

On the other hand, their sub channel "SWX", has complete and accurate listings. Ironically, the very sub channel Dish was so adamant about not adding during contract negotiations.

Please don't lie. We know Dish doesn't use PSIP data (that is freely available in the OTA signal) to fill in the guide for OTA stations. Instead, they send their own data. That's why many subchannels OTA don't have guide information. And, since the correct information is on the station's programming page as well as TV Guide, that means Dish has something mapped wrong. The fact Dish has it right for the satellite delivered channel means the information was handed over to Dish correctly.

Don’t lie? Wow....

This is something I just don't understand, why DISH does this. They promote saving money from increasing locals costs and indeed have provided receivers that can get OTA integrated into the guide. Then they separate the locals from the packages to make it possible to save money. Yet they don't make an effort to provide data for the sub channels, or allow their adapters to get the PSIP. It may be a smaller thing than other problems but it is something that might make some keep DISH. Certainly the Hopper is something that does, so the receiver is important to people why not make it even more indispensable.

I call it the CSR giving out the information they have to give.
IMO, when they come on with a Dish icon as their avatar, a title saying "Official Dish Support", and a tag saying "Dish Support Team", they speak for the company. If that's the information TPTB have decided to give to them to give the public, it's still wrong, misinformation, and yes, a "lie". If you're ok with a company spreading misinformation (I'm not talking "spin", I'm talking flat out wrong FACTS), that's fine. I personally am not.

The station does broadcast an ID that Dish uses to look up their guide data from. One of my local OTA channels was showing guide data for another channel is another state, but the "local" guide data on my TV was correct. I was eventually able to get in touch with the station engineer. He checked and the station ID was entered wrong for the broadcast ID. He corrected that, and then I started getting the correct guide info from Dish.
This is just to say that while the Dish person may have described the problem wrongly, they may be correct in that it may be a problem with the local station, and not with Dish.

Reactions: Tampa8 and dare2be
The station does broadcast an ID that Dish uses to look up their guide data from. One of my local OTA channels was showing guide data for another channel is another state, but the "local" guide data on my TV was correct. I was eventually able to get in touch with the station engineer. He checked and the station ID was entered wrong for the broadcast ID. He corrected that, and then I started getting the correct guide info from Dish.
This is just to say that while the Dish person may have described the problem wrongly, they may be correct in that it may be a problem with the local station, and not with Dish.

I can confirm another situation similar. When a channel here in Repack moved to use a network frequency instead of their own the guide info was (and is) the same as the Network information. So channel 38 that had their own actual frequency now shares the frequency with the NBC station, channel 8. They are sharing the actual frequency of 7. Channel 38-1 and 38-2 have the same guide information as Channel 8-1 and channel 8-2. I contacted channel 38 and it appears it won't be fixed till they both move to actual channel 9 when their Repack is done.
So this is another situation that seems out of the hands of DISH unless they go to using PSIP. So I think calling the DISH rep here a liar is too strong. They may not have it exactly right how they got there but really their final answer may be correct.

WTTA channel 38
WFLA channel 8
Both now use actual Channel 7, both will move to actual channel 9. Till then the guide info is merged on DISH OTA.

Near as I can tell, KJTV hasn't been and won't be repacked. They broadcast on 35 and display as 34. So unless someone at the station end went in and changed the PIDs (doubtful), I don't think that's going to be it.

And if you look at what Dirt says... "DISH does not control what guide information you receive for an OTA channel as that is controlled by the channel owner. " If that was the case, why do some subchannels show "Digital Programming"? Do you think that's what the broadcasters are sending out?

Last night I removed the dual tuner AirTV tuner, rebooted my H3, reinstalled the dual tuner AirTv tuner, rebooted my H3, rescanned all OTA channels, did a power cord reboot of my H3. After all this the guide for channel 34-1 said no info available. After about half an hour the incorrect data was back, but an hour after that, the guide data was correct. Unfortunately this morning it is back to showing the guide data for channel 34-2 on channel 34-1.

• Sad
Reactions: charlesrshell
...And if you look at what Dirt says... "DISH does not control what guide information you receive for an OTA channel as that is controlled by the channel owner. " If that was the case, why do some subchannels show "Digital Programming"? Do you think that's what the broadcasters are sending out?

Dish looks at the ID that the station is broadcasting, not at the guide data that they broadcast locally.
Dish uses the ID to look up the guide data in DISH's (not very accurate) database.*
They have said that they are low on capacity, so they no longer send guide data for the "lesser" local sub-channels in many markets.

Their choice of wording leaves a lot to be desired, but technically, their statement is not entirely incorrect.

*: To be exact, the database is from a 3rd party.

Reactions: HipKat
Dish looks at the ID that the station is broadcasting, not at the guide data that they broadcast locally.
Dish uses the ID to look up the guide data in DISH's (not very accurate) database.*
They have said that they are low on capacity, so they no longer send guide data for the "lesser" local sub-channels in many markets.

So I guess NBC is considered a "lesser local sub-channel" in the Spokane market?

This is total nonsense. I have talked to TV stations that send the correct guide info out and yet it sends up wrong on the Dish OTA guide. I have been fighting to get my guides right for a year now. The information is correct but not connected to the channel.
In other words, Our ABC (KATU) has a PBS guide, CBS (KOIN), another different PBS station guide, NBC (KGW), the FOX guide, PBS (KOPB) a ION guide. No guide on FOX (KPTV) or MYTV (KPDX). I finally bought a Amazon ReCast with a free 2 week guide. The guide is totally accurate on all stations including sub channels. Somewhere the info Dish gets is all mixed up and with several tries, I have never got it corrected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)