Local HD channels by Cable, No extra charge

Status
Please reply by conversation.

woljr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
:) The local Cable company in a rural north Georgia county announced that they would be providing local channels in HD starting in December. No STB would be required. The only requirement is the digital receiver must be capable of receiving "256 QAM" signal. There is no extra charge for Basic Cable subscribers. My Mitsubishi receiver is capable of receiving ATSC and unscramled QAM.

My questions are:
1. Is the Digital tuner on the Direct TV receiver capable of receiving QAM signal ?
2. Is the Digital tuner on the VOOM receiver capable of receiving QAM signal ?

woljr said:
:) The local Cable company in a rural north Georgia county announced that they would be providing local channels in HD starting in December. No STB would be required. The only requirement is the digital receiver must be capable of receiving "256 QAM" signal. There is no extra charge for Basic Cable subscribers. My Mitsubishi receiver is capable of receiving ATSC and unscramled QAM.

My questions are:
1. Is the Digital tuner on the Direct TV receiver capable of receiving QAM signal ?
2. Is the Digital tuner on the VOOM receiver capable of receiving QAM signal ?

Use your Mitsubishi receiver to receive the local HD feeds on cable.

No neither box can not receive QAM signals.

Jerry

Cable companies may offer it for free but don't think you aren't paying for it someway or another. But yes by law you must be able to pick them up using a QAM tuner for free.

Edit..for free as only part of a basic cable package. But as the other user said it doesn't have to be free but it must not be in a higher package than the first level of basic cable.

This is exactly what I do. I get them via QAM and OTA, plus we get the WB-HD that isn't OTA. The cable modem will run you $50 without basic cable, but with basic cable it runs $52. So it's a no brainer...do you want at least basic cable and your HD locals for $2 a month?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)