Local HD sizing...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Optical Serenity

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
Marietta,GA
So, I got an AT-9 dish (yay!) and I get 4 local HD channels here in Atlanta.

When i watch the local HD's...it switches sizes all the time.

I have these settings under Display Preferences:

native: Off
screen format: Stretch
Bar Color: Gray
Banner Time: 4 seconds
language: English

what are your settings? Should I change it to something else?

Optical Serenity said:

IIRC, the screen format should not be set to stretch.

Optical Serenity said:

=======================================================
I normally keep mine set for Native : ON so that I get the format that the show was originated in.
I also use the "Full" mode on my TV, does not fill the screen entirely, still have bars down the sides, I have gotten use to it. It looks closer to reality than Zoom to fill the screen., though not perfect.

Of course when the picture is an HD feed, it goes to the HD mode automatically. and looks awesome. btw, I rarely if ever watch movies mostly sports, so the HD looks even better, due to it being "Live"

Jimbo

Optical Serenity said:

Resolution = 1080i (choose the resolution that looks best on YOUR TV)
Native = OFF
Screen Format = Pillar box (for full view and no distortion of the original image)
Bar Color Black (If you have a CRT or Plasma, set this to gray)
Banner Time 2 seconds
Language English

The above settings will display an HDTV ch's 16:9 (widescreen) programs as widescreen. When the HDTV channel is showing something that is only 4:3, the station or network inserts vertical bars on the sides of the image to fill out the 16:9 frame. They may be black, gray or other colors, or may have the network logo in the bar.

Above settings will also display non-HD channels as originally intended; 4:3, with black bars to fill out the 16:9 frame.

Interesting, I have a Samsung LN-S3252D LCD and was told by a few people to use Gray because it was LCD. Guess I'll switch to black.

And on the resolution, should only 1080i be selected? I thought you had to select all the resolutions that your TV could actually support?

Unlike CRT, CRT-projection or plasma displays, LCD screens don't suffer from screen-burn. So you can use any color bars you want. Black is usually the least distracting, but if you like gray better, use gray.

Although your TV may support more than one, it will usually look best with only one of the resolutions. Choose the best one (using your own set of eyes) and turn the other resolutions off. For HDTVs, that is usually 1080i or 720p. For EDTVs, 480p is usually best.

Gotcha...

I set it to Pillar Box and Black bars, and now SD content like Fox news channel look much better. It doesn't stretch them so its not half as bad as it used to be.

So, if I set it to only 1080i, what happens to things like Fox News that are being sent down in 480p?

(Actually fox news is 480i)

If you set the H20 to 1080i (with Native OFF), all channels, regardless of resolution, are upconverted to 1080i by the receiver.

Ok, I set it to Native: Off and Screen Format: Pillar Box.

I still can't get rid of the 480p selection in the resolution screen. I have only 480p and 1080i selected.

You must have an H20-600 (made by LG). They have a bug that won't let you deselect 480p. The H20-100s (made by RCA) don't have that bug, and allow deselection of 480p. Newer, or refurb H20-600s *may* not have that problem.

On your model, just make sure you've selected "1080i - pillarbox" using the hard coded FORMAT button on the remote. This will upconvert all channels to 1080i and display them in original aspect ratio.

Last edited:
arxaw said:
You must have an H20-600 (made by LG). They have a bug that won't let you deselect 480p. The H20-100s (made by RCA) don't have that bug, and allow deselection of 480p. Newer, or refurb H20-600s *may* not have that problem.

On your model, just make sure you've selected "1080i - pillarbox" using the hard coded FORMAT button on the remote. This will upconvert all channels to 1080i and display them in original aspect ratio.

So where does the addl. info come from ?
1080i has a lot more info to work with, your taking a 480 signal and upconverting it to 1080i how, are you expexting the same grade of signal as you would a 1080i signal ?

Jimbo

arxaw said:
Although your TV may support more than one, it will usually look best with only one of the resolutions. Choose the best one (using your own set of eyes) and turn the other resolutions off. For HDTVs, that is usually 1080i or 720p. For EDTVs, 480p is usually best.

If you lock the resolution of the D* reciever, pick the resolution that matches native mode of your TV...

jes said:
If you lock the resolution of the D* reciever, pick the resolution that matches native mode of your TV...
The best looking setting will usually (but not always) be the native resolution of the set, so let your eyes be the final judge of which resolution to use. Also, many sets do not have a native resolution of 720p or 1080i, and may be something like 768p You should decide which resolution looks the best and disable the others.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)