Local OTA Tuner get $10 off bill each month idea

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My goal is to get Locals (for free with guide data) and cable or sat channels on the the same box.
The Directv OTA solution they are phased rolling this out meets this requirement.

Really Dish has been doing this already, they just need to add the guide data and they will have a better deal than Directv. They have $10 off with locals via the USB Tuners, Dish would be $12 off a month but they are missing have the guide data right now and I dont see any plans for them to ever add more.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Dish already does this. A few of the subchannels are missing from the guide but you can use the OTA adapter, cancel locals and save $12 per month.

There are a lot missing from my translators here on the Oregon Coast. No guide for Comet, Stadium (2.3 and 2.4). None for Quest (8.3), KPTV FOX 12.1 and KPDX 49.1.

Yes, guide data is missing for many sub channels as Dish pretty much only provides guide data for channels they retransmits. Yes, you can DVR any channel you receive via OTA with a manual recording or using the guide if available.

The guides for sub channels are not very accurate as the channels themselves don't always know what they are broadcasting or when.

Dish does give a guide for 6.2 (Decades) that they do not carry. Some diginets no guide though.

2.1 KATU ABC
2.2 METV
2.3 Comet (No Guide)
2.4 Stadium (No Guide)
6.1 KOIN CBS
6.2 Get TV
6.3 Decades
8.1 KGW NBC
8.2 Justice TV
8.3 Quest (No Guide)
10.1 KOPB PBS
10.2 KOPB+
10.3 PBS Kids
10.4 NPR Radio (No Guide)
12.1 KPTV FOX (No Guide)
49.1 KPDX MYTV (No Guide)

I think I’m on topic to ask the 150 mile rated antennas deliver. I’m only 50 to 60 miles from my OTA channels(Indy) but have a few signal sucking rolling hills between us. Anyone with experience with similar situation?
NO antenna will deliver 150 mile reception. The curvature of the earth pretty much prevents that. You would be LUCKY to get 20 mile reception with one of those.

NO antenna will deliver 150 mile reception. The curvature of the earth pretty much prevents that. You would be LUCKY to get 20 mile reception with one of those.

Agree with the 150, but you can certainly get reception for towers greater than 20 miles. I’m about 35 miles outside of some of my towers, but receive them just fine. It all depends on the type and location of the antenna. Higher the better and facing the direction of the tower.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an antenna advertising 150+ miles.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I bet if you check the OTA PSIP for those channels, the information is correct. You really think the channels don't know what they're broadcasting?
How far out does PSIP data go? Yes those diginets know what they are currently broadcasting but many of them don't really know what they are broadcasting next week and a fixed schedule, forget about it.

Maybe not 150 miles BUT when the antenna farm is on Cheyenne Mountain at 9800 ft. and you live on the Eastern Plains of Colorado @5000 ft 60+ miles can be done without too much work. That line of sight goes for a long ways.

Reactions: TheKrell
Dish does give a guide for 6.2 (Decades) that they do not carry. Some diginets no guide though.

2.1 KATU ABC
2.2 METV
2.3 Comet (No Guide)
2.4 Stadium (No Guide)
6.1 KOIN CBS
6.2 Get TV
6.3 Decades
8.1 KGW NBC
8.2 Justice TV
8.3 Quest (No Guide)
10.1 KOPB PBS
10.2 KOPB+
10.3 PBS Kids
10.4 NPR Radio (No Guide)
12.1 KPTV FOX (No Guide)
49.1 KPDX MYTV (No Guide)

Little strange that 12.1 KPTV Fox or 49.1 KPDX have no guide data as Dish claims that they retransmit both channels.

Anyone else know of channels in the locals package from Dish that don't have guide data?

I have a very good 91XG Yagi that can get UHF over 70 miles, the claim, but all I get is our local translators. Everything beyond does not come in at all, or lock if there is any signal. It has been do with location. If you are Line of Sight the signal can go 50-70 miles, but in the NW, that is hard to do with mountains everywhere.

Little strange that 12.1 KPTV Fox or 49.1 KPDX have no guide data as Dish claims that they retransmit both channels.

Anyone else know of channels in the locals package from Dish that don't have guide data?

Meredith does an odd thing with the KPTV/KPDX signals. The only Portland OR station that does. Instead of just running the regular 12. and 49. mux, they broadcast only 12.1 (KPTV) and 49.1 (KPDX) on a translator. Both signals are running 720p, but we get none of the diginets, which I do not like. I doubt much will change until 3.0 comes out. At that time, we probably will get 12.1/12.2/12.3 & 49.1/49.2/49.3/49.4. At least we are hoping. They do not want to put up a second translator. At least that is what I have been told. The stations still have their OTA guide, but not through Dish for some reason, the EPG is there on both signals, but for some reason Dish does not pick them up.

How far out does PSIP data go? Yes those diginets know what they are currently broadcasting but many of them don't really know what they are broadcasting next week and a fixed schedule, forget about it.
PSIP is anywhere from hours to multiple days depending on what the broadcaster selects. And sorry, I call BS that they don't know what they're broadcasting next week.

No question 150 miles is just not going to happen. However 80 miles or so was not out of the question in the analog days and the right terrain, right height of both the transmitting and receiving antenna etc.... Now however there is no right answer for everyone but it seems like anything much over 50 miles is a chore.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

PSIP data would work for the main channels but is often lacking for the sub channels. My older Sony TV uses PSIP data since the built in Guide no longer works. I get 51 channels since I can receive both Columbus and Dayton Ohio channels. Some of the sub channels (diginets) will say “Regularly Scheduled Program” for the program title. Several will say “Program Description Not Available” under program description. Some only have data for the current program while some have 8 hours of data.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

This would be a great solution if Dish would ever fix the OTA audio dropout problem. Been dealing with this for going on a year now. It makes me wonder if they intentionally don't fix it so that they can keep making money off the free locals.

The good news (for me) is that between this and the HBO drama, I am getting very close to dumping Dish all together. The Amazon FireTV Recast looks like a great OTA solution (I had been planning on using my Plex server), I just need to figure out what mix of sling/Hulu/DTV Now/etc will work to get me the other stuff.

This would be a great solution if Dish would ever fix the OTA audio dropout problem. Been dealing with this for going on a year now. It makes me wonder if they intentionally don't fix it so that they can keep making money off the free locals.

The good news (for me) is that between this and the HBO drama, I am getting very close to dumping Dish all together. The Amazon FireTV Recast looks like a great OTA solution (I had been planning on using my Plex server), I just need to figure out what mix of sling/Hulu/DTV Now/etc will work to get me the other stuff.

What OTA audio dropout problem? My OTA works perfectly fine.

Reactions: Tampa8 and TheKrell

What cave have you been hiding in? DISH doesn't get the locals for free. For the record, I've never had a drop out on my ota channels, audio or otherwise.

What OTA audio dropout problem? My OTA works perfectly fine.
This issue: U502 has blown up OTA...again.

What cave have you been hiding in? DISH doesn't get the locals for free. For the record, I've never had a drop out on my ota channels, audio or otherwise.
Wasn't referring to Dish getting them for free, was referring to the fact that they are free OTA but their cracked out business model makes them charge the cable/sat providers (which gets passed on to us)

This issue: U502 has blown up OTA...again.

Wasn't referring to Dish getting them for free, was referring to the fact that they are free OTA but their cracked out business model makes them charge the cable/sat providers (which gets passed on to us)

I never had that problem but I think that people who did have it find that replacing the OTA adapter with the latest version fixed the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts