Local scan stops, has 80 level, but doesn't lock

timmy1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Manhattan, KS
I just got a Voom box today, scanned, and got three stations, but there is the NBC that the signal bounces between 78-82 and when it scans, it stops on that channel, 28, but never brings it in. That also happens with another Fox channel.

Is there a way to manually tune to that channel, or even go ahead and add it, so in case I am getting a strong signal one evening, I can just tune to it? I have read here, but never saw a definate answer on whether or not you can do this.

Also, I am diplexing the antenna signal with my Directv signal, will that degrade the quality? If so, could it be enough to keep those stations from locking?

V* box needs signal power of 85 or higher to lock-on. Nothing you can do to change this. Never having used a diplexor, cannot say for sure if removing it would improve signal strength or not. If it were me, I would temporarily remove it and see what happens. My gut feeling though, is that diplexors are bad news. Have seen many posts about this, and removing them solved signal problems for many.

Wierd, but signal was about the same, maybe less, without the diplexor. Could be the cable. I really wish there was a better signal meter for these boxes. I cannot tell if I am getting some signal, or it's just an error.

Yeah, using RG6. I just ordered a new Winegard PR8800 and pre-amp, so I will see what happens when I get that next week....

I got the new antenna and amp up and I am pulling in one of the two I was trying to get. The pre-amp made a 7-10 percent improvement on the Fox channel.

thanks to all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)