Local Signal Hookup

jimboy

Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
I've read the FAQ and a bunch of posts and I can't find threads adressing this topic.....I apologize if I've missed it.

I have a 3 room Voom install and love it. The problem I have (like so many others) is that I can't pull in any locals. I ran the antennaweb search and basically I'm lucky to get 1 digital channel with an OTA. I'm buried in mountains and trees in PA so even with the 8ft antenna I'd be dreaming....not to mention I don't want that big an erector set on my roof.

So, I have accepted that my cable company is my only option for the locals. It's another $10 a month but I can swing it. Now to the question....

What would be the best way to hookup the locals from my cable company? I'd like to be able to access these channels from the VOOM program guide if possible. I don't wan't to switch TV inputs if I can avoid it.

Right now I have two lines coming in from the dish in my yard. These two lines go into 13V & 18V inputs on one side of a multiswitch. Out from the other side of the switch are 3 lines....1 for each STB. All 3 of my STBs have the diplexers (if that makes a difference).

Thanks very much guys!

Welcome to the forum, jimboy!
Unfortunately you will not be able to integrate cable channels with VOOM channels. VOOM STB does not have a tuner capable of decoding cable channels. (Unless of course your company passes 8VSB signal, which is unlikely). Your only option is to connect cable to the TV set directly and switch inputs every time you want to watch cable. Not very convenient, I know... but better than nothing.

Ilya...thanks for the quick response!

A couple other questions....

1) Is there anyway to convert/switch/decode/mod-demod the cable signal (QAM?) to 8VSB?

2) If I could get anaolg programming from the cable company would that make a difference?

1)Good question. I haven't heard of that.
2)No. VOOM STB doesn't have analog tuner either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)